no spark after timing chain install

ekafrawy

United States of Space
This weekend I replaced my worn out timing chain, and after putting it all back together i'm not getting any spark. Here is what I did.

Replaced chain and gears at TDC. Dots aligned top to bottom.

installed crank sensor and set gap correctly.

Installed cam sensor with new Casper sensor cap with #1 at TDC. The procedure I used was I set the motor at TDC on #1 installed sensor with reluctor window at 4 o'clock. Then I installed the cap on the sensor with wires again towards 4 o'clock. Cap screws were offset (left screw was all the way up, right screw was all the way down. I then rotated the sensor counter clockwise untill the red light on the sensor came on. Then I set the sensor cap so that the screws were exactly in the middle of the adjustment slots on the cap. At that point the sensor cap light was off. I then tried to start the car and it wouldn't fire.

I pulled the #1 plug/wire out and noticed no spark when it was grounded with the help of a friend.

Oil was primmed before all this too.

Any ideas?

This weekend I replaced my worn out timing chain, and after putting it all back together i'm not getting any spark. Here is what I did.

Replaced chain and gears at TDC. Dots aligned top to bottom.

installed crank sensor and set gap correctly.

Installed cam sensor with new Casper sensor cap with #1 at TDC. The procedure I used was I set the motor at TDC on #1 installed sensor with reluctor window at 4 o'clock. Then I installed the cap on the sensor with wires again towards 4 o'clock. Cap screws were offset (left screw was all the way up, right screw was all the way down. I then rotated the sensor counter clockwise untill the red light on the sensor came on. Then I set the sensor cap so that the screws were exactly in the middle of the adjustment slots on the cap. At that point the sensor cap light was off. I then tried to start the car and it wouldn't fire.

I pulled the #1 plug/wire out and noticed no spark when it was grounded with the help of a friend.

Oil was primmed before all this too.

Any ideas?

Assuming you have everything plugged in correctly. Did you re install the oil slinger? If the balancer goes back "too far" the reluctor on the balancer will be too deep into the crank sensor and it will never see the "window". You will have to do a little fab work if this is the case.

What is the oil slinger? if you mean the oil deflector, then yes I did install it but that is behind the timing cover so how would that affect the position of the balancer? One thing though, does the large bolt that holds the balancer also have a thick washer to go along with it, or is it just that one bolt that holds the balacer on?

I am also definitly getting fuel to the injectors because I see about 50psi while cranking.

I think you forgot to bring it 25* ATDC then set the cam sensor with the tool.

Take a piece of tape marking 2 lines 1.45" apart. Place the first mark on the 0* mark then put remaining tape CCW. Rotate the engine until the 0* is at the 1.45" mark which makes the motor 25* ATDC. Set the cam sensor now with the tool.

Billy T.
gnxtc@aol.com

Make sure the reluctor is passing through the correct gap in the crank sensor. Even if the cam sensor is out of time you should still get spark.

I think you forgot to bring it 25* ATDC then set the cam sensor with the tool.

Take a piece of tape marking 2 lines 1.45" apart. Place the first mark on the 0* mark then put remaining tape CCW. Rotate the engine until the 0* is at the 1.45" mark which makes the motor 25* ATDC. Set the cam sensor now with the tool.

Billy T.
gnxtc@aol.com

When using Caspers cap, you set it a TDC. I suspect there is an issue with the crank sensor

Double check that the coolant temp. sender at the front of the intake is plugged in.

Seen that a few times.

Make sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke though,Going by the balancer only on this may mess you up.

Otto,

Unplug it and try and start a car. Happened to a buddy of mine this week.

Maybe it was the other one on the intake.

Otto,

Unplug it and try and start a car. Happened to a buddy of mine this week.

Maybe it was the other one on the intake.

Yup,

Happened to me when I removed my valve covers. Musta pulled the wire out getting the cover back in. :mad:

The one faceing forward above the cam sensor.

fixed

I got it started. It was the crank sensor. The metal reluctor was passing through the wrong groove on the sensor. Thanks for the help everyone

Its running now, but When we give it part throttle it hessitates and blows black smoke out the exhaust. Is that a cam sensor adjustment or something else?