No Second Gear

bama-t-type

Had to have turbo rebuilt so the car set up for about 6 months.
the trans shifted perfect before but has no second gear now:confused:
any info would be helpful;) is there anything in the valve body that could cause it? It has no second gear at all goes from first to third. If you put ****er in second it will run in first untill you let off gas then it nutralizes untill you get the rpms back up to were it would be in first if that makes any sense. leave it in drive and once you get rpms high enough for it to shift out of first about 3500 it goes to third. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT THANKS.

Broken Band/Anchor pin, providing it was immediate failure, a burned band would have slipped before dying and been a slow death of 2nd.

Kevin.

Yup, ive broken a few of them, first to third get going in third, slip the gear selector back to second and it acts like neutral.

Pull the trans and have it rebuilt with a new band.

BW

guys come on now please tell me theres something else it could be please just lie to me :( lol thanks

I've got the same problem. I parked my car during the winter. Come spring, No second gear. It was shifting perfectly the last time I drove it, sat a couple months, then broken. It is doing exactly what Quick6 is describing. How does it break while sitting?:confused: I was hoping there was a simple solution too, but I'm not a transmission guy. Is this the only possibility?

is there anything that sitting up for 6 months could have done that would cause 2nd gear to not work? find it hard to wrap my brain around band breaking first time it would have tried to shift and i was driving car very easy.MY DRIVEWAY IS 1/2 MILE LONG IT NEVER HIT SECOND!!!!!!!!!!

is there anything that sitting up for 6 months could have done that would cause 2nd gear to not work? find it hard to wrap my brain around band breaking first time it would have tried to shift and i was driving car very easy.MY DRIVEWAY IS 1/2 MILE LONG IT NEVER HIT SECOND!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the POO book 1-2 shift valve has to stroke to go into 3rd IMO that rules out the VB. The only thing left is mechanical. Band, Pin, servo maybe???? any other would cause a slip that you would have indicated you felt. You must have driven car to know that 2nd is not there as you stated in first post. When pin breaks there is no warning. Goes to make shift it shears off end of story. You would never feel it happening. The old Alto bands had the problem of pin going threw the band but the 1-2 shift would sofen before you lost the gear. If Band burned you would have indicator slipping etc. Pin shear Rare with stock servo but very common with billet servo. Wish I could offer more.

Here is one way you can check it. Put car on jack stands. Take trans out of park. From this position you can use a pry bar to try and depress the servo. With the servo depressed the wheels should turn in one direction and lock up in the other direction. Uou will need two people to get it done. If no lock up in either direction you have mechanical band failure of sorts. If it locks up in one direction then has to be another problem.

It didnt break while sitting there in the garage for 6 months.

The last time you drove the car and got after it, thats when the band anchor pin snapped.

Go drive the car, pull it back to 2nd and if it acts like neutral, then the servo is not applying pressure to the band, or the band pin is broken.

If you have a teenager, might ask him if he drove it last;)

BW

lol no teenager.The last time i drove it before the turbo was eating itself the last ten miles lol oops:eek: but the trans shifted fine it has not changed into second sence i got it running again.I do believe its a band problem so im gonna check the servo first and hope:wink:
thanks for the info guys.

Well i was finally able to get the car on a lift today, checked servo by putting car in nuetral and pushing in on servo, wheels lock in one direction so i guess its a servo problem and not a band problem:D I was able to get to car to go into second while on the lift but still not while driving i guess the servo just isn't putting enough pressure on the band.