No power

Steve87GN

Oh come on...its just a 6
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I'm at a loss right now. Here's the deal.

Recently, my buddy and I replaced the valve cover gaskets. Well, I drove the car home for the first time tonight and now she has no power. She'll rev in Park, tranny shifts but no power and no boost in Drive. Any ideas? I checked as much as I could and everything looks hooked up.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Yes it was, but it was leaking oil. Hence why i did the gaskets. Everything looks hooked up properly and I don't see any hoses that are cut or leaking. :confused:

*** EDIT ***

Let me add some things here that I forgot to post in the beginning.

When I did the driver's side cover, I was going to disconnect all of the connectors for the harness that wraps around the driver's side cover. I ended up only disconnecting a few, but reconnecting them. All plug wires are hooked back up in the proper positions. I'm pretty sure all the connectors are hooked back up properly, but the wastegate solenoid harness didn't want to go back in easily. Plus it looks a little banged up from the previous mechanics. Nothing was caught under the covers when we set them back in place. Thanks in advance everyone.

I have removed the vavle covers A number of times in one day. I didn't have to disconnect anything related to the harness. The wastegate solenoid can just be laid on top of the intake while still still plugged. In any case, sounds like your plug wires are switched. But it's a guess. I recently learned the correct firing order on the coils. should be 1-4, 5-2, 6-3 cause they fire at the same time. Hope that helps.

Correct, no boost. I can get the motor to rev past 2k rpm in Park, but that's it. In drive, anything beyond maybe 1/6 -1/4 throttle and it just barely accelerates and the motor won't hardly go above 2k rpm.

I'm pretty sure I hooked the plug wires back up according to the numbers on the coil, but I'll double-check.

Double-checked, plug wires are hooked up properly per the numbering on the coil. Any other thoughts?

Yes it is. I didn't touch the coil sans pulling and reconnecting the plug wires.

wastegate solenoid is bad or not making a connection with the plug

Wouldn't this make the ALTernator light come on since the battery charging circuit runs thru there? A scan tool will point you In the right direction. You didn't have to yank on the plug wires too hard? Kinds difficult without being there to see what's up. Just trying to help.

I appreciate the help everyone, thanks.

I'm beginning to think its the wastegate solenoid too, but I'm not sure.

As for the plug wires, they're also brand new (from Kirban) and I disconnected them from the coil instead of the the plugs.

And now for a noob question - where the heck can I buy a scantool for this car?? And does anyone make a software based one I could run off a laptop?

I appreciate the help everyone, thanks.

I'm beginning to think its the wastegate solenoid too, but I'm not sure.

As for the plug wires, they're also brand new (from Kirban) and I disconnected them from the coil instead of the the plugs.

And now for a noob question - where the heck can I buy a scantool for this car?? And does anyone make a software based one I could run off a laptop?
scanmaster or powerlogger or direct scan that I know. Those are helpful.

Great, thanks. I'll go check those out.

So, I did a quick check on fuel pressure and vacuum. Here's what I found:

Fuel Pressure:
Off and charged - 42 PSI
Idling - 36 PSI
WOT test (vacuum line disconnected from FPR) - 46 PSI
pressure rises when revving

Vacuum:
Warm idle - approx. 16"/Hg
Revving - drops to 5-10"/Hg, then jumps to over 20"/Hg

This is normal, right?

MAF should be fine, as it is only 2 yrs. old at most. Both are hooked up and I can't hear any vacuum leaks or see any damage to the vacuum lines where we were working. Any way to check the MAF and TPS sensors?

MAF should be fine, as it is only 2 yrs. old at most. Both are hooked up and I can't hear any vacuum leaks or see any damage to the vacuum lines where we were working. Any way to check the MAF and TPS sensors?

Did you figure it out yet?:confused:
Scanmaster works pretty good for malfunction codes and setting TPS plus reading MAF. That's what I got. Wish I could afford to get Powelogger or some other software based scanning tool. It's a MUST for these cars to have a scantool of some sort.

How long was the car parked and NOT run before the gasket change?
Is there any smoke coming out the exhaust when you drive it in gear? If so, what color? No misfiring? It seems to me that you have a fuel delivery problem if those things check out normal. MAF can go at any time just like the other sensors. Is it dirty? I'd like to know how you fixed it if you don't mind.

Haven't had a chance yet. I know the MAF did get jostled a bit, so I suppose it is possible it is bad. I just don't want to go buying parts hoping it will fix it and end up throwing money away.

The car was running up until we started doing the gaskets and such. It was down for about 3-5 weeks as we only had limited time to work on it.

do you know anybody else with a TB who ould lend you the MAF??:p How are the spark plugs? I am leaning towards bad MAF now. G/L

Unfortunately, no. That's the curse of being one of the few I suppose. But, I can get one from Autozone for about $50 and I do have a spare core.