No lockup help

blueta

My search function still doesn't work when I put more then 2 words in it. So here goes...I'm putting a carbed 350 in my 86 camaro with the stock 700r4. I won't be running the computer anymore and don't really feel like spending over $120 for a lock up conversion. I found a way to make one myself for under $20 probably but I can't find the part # for the dual wire TCC (not the self grounding one) for the 700 trans. Mine has the 1 wire self grounding one and that won't work. So if anyone knows the part # I would appreciate it. If not that leads me to my 2nd question. Is it actually bad to run a lock up converter without locking it up? I know I'll get worse gas mileage but it's not my daily driver so that's alright. Just want to know the other negative effects (if any). Thanks!

I don't know what you are referring to with the switch differences... but I used to have an '89 S10 Blazer I put a carbed 350 in..... so I fabbed up my own lock up scheme... on a toggle switch... and through the brake switch..... worked good. I put 12v on one wire... and ground on the other... and it locked as long as it was in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th... or if you had your foot on the brake....... worked slick as a whistle.....

The way I'm doing it is using a th400 blade connector instead of the 700's multi connector. Then a normally closed/pressure open switch. Wire the black wire from the tcc to the new pressure switch and the red wire to the th400 connector (which gets 12 volts switched). It'll lock up in 4th gear like this. If I use my 1 wire one it's self grounding and will lock up from 2nd gear and above without the computer which I don't want. :cool: