No fuel PSI at Rail, but hear fuel pump?

l3lue

my fuel PSI gauge stays at zero, the pressure won't prime. I have a hot wire to a new racetronix pump, been working fine, car has been sitting for probably 2 months. go today to move the car and click the key over no PSI @ rail. Fuse at the back of the alternator looks good and so does the INJ fuse under the dash, I swear i hear the pump prime though?? any ideas?

Installed new fuel filter and pump and ran new braided feed line, inside of the tank looked clean. I definitely hear the pump kick on but no PSI. Could the new filter be clogged? Could it be something with the regulator?

Last edited:
Reversed polarity of pump?
Wouldn't that be from the start? Car has been fine for a few months after the pump replacement. Drove around town no problems PSI climbed with Boost everything was good. Just parked it and went to move it today now problems as stated above.

Do you hear any fuel going through the rail. If not either the pump is bad or you blew a line off in the tank. If you do hear fuel then maybe a bad regulator or the gauge is bad. Does the gauge move at all? How much gas is in the tank? Where is your gauge mounted?

Do you hear any fuel going through the rail. If not either the pump is bad or you blew a line off in the tank. If you do hear fuel then maybe a bad regulator or the gauge is bad. Does the gauge move at all? How much gas is in the tank? Where is your gauge mounted?

dammit, think it's a bad pump...no pressure what so ever, do not hear any fuel towards the rail or any sound at all towards the front only the pump running in the tank. Tank is about 1/2 full, gauge is braided off frame rail to a autometer gauge hood mounted.

I had a mechanic install this pump but he is no longer available...is this something I could probably tackle myself? The pump was ordered on 4/22/2016, so I assume it's out of warranty. What is the best most reliable pump you can buy? I really don't want to do this a 3rd time.

I do recall the mechanic having to suck on the fuel line to get the pump started when it was first installed, maybe this was a sign? lol

Last edited:
The mechanic should not have had to "suck" on the fuel line to get the pump primed. It should have self primed. You will have to drop the tank and take a look. If the fuel line is intact then it's time for a new pump. It's pretty easy to change. Drain as much gas as you can out of the tank. Disconnect the pump electrical connector on the left side back by the bumper. Drop the tank and disconnect the fuel lines (there are 3....fuel feed, fuel return, and vent). To remove the pump rotate the locking ring to release the pump unit and pull the pump out. Install in reverse order. What kind of pump did your mechanic put in it? Racetronix?

Did the clamp come off and so the line that connects the pump to the sending unit might have came off?

Did the clamp come off and so the line that connects the pump to the sending unit might have came off?

/\ probably this. Drop the tank and take a look. Pump is probably running but line came off of the sending unit. Maybe he didn't tighten the hose clamp or the fuel line burst or split right above the pump.

The mechanic should not have had to "suck" on the fuel line to get the pump primed. It should have self primed. You will have to drop the tank and take a look. If the fuel line is intact then it's time for a new pump. It's pretty easy to change. Drain as much gas as you can out of the tank. Disconnect the pump electrical connector on the left side back by the bumper. Drop the tank and disconnect the fuel lines (there are 3....fuel feed, fuel return, and vent). To remove the pump rotate the locking ring to release the pump unit and pull the pump out. Install in reverse order. What kind of pump did your mechanic put in it? Racetronix?
yes was a racetronix pump, he did have to suck on the fuel line because it did this exact same thing when it was first installed, does this point to the pump being bad?

Whats the best way to drain the tank if the fuel pump isn't working? lol

An "Arkansas gas pump". AKA a siphon hose. Auto parts stores sell them w/ a squeeze bulb, so you don't have to do it by mouth.
You can also use air pressure, w/ a hose in the tank, & into a jug, apply air to the fill neck, using a rag to seal it. That should start the flow.
If your "mechanic" didn't do it correctly, he may have re-used the noise isolator/connector, instead of the hose.

An "Arkansas gas pump". AKA a siphon hose. Auto parts stores sell them w/ a squeeze bulb, so you don't have to do it by mouth.
You can also use air pressure, w/ a hose in the tank, & into a jug, apply air to the fill neck, using a rag to seal it. That should start the flow.
If your "mechanic" didn't do it correctly, he may have re-used the noise isolator/connector, instead of the hose.
yeah he never worked on a grand national before, I have a feeling he reused the connector instead of hose.

dammit, think it's a bad pump.. . .
I do recall the mechanic having to suck on the fuel line to get the pump started when it was first installed, maybe this was a sign? lol
Clearly, he wasn't a mechanic or shouldn't call himself one. Hell . . . That same mechanic may have put an old pump in there and kept your new one.

Just did a tank wiring/pump cleanup this weekend on a local car. You will need to drop the tank and start over, it at least confirm everything.