No 2nd gear

boostmaster

As the title stated. I have no 2nd gear it shifts strait from 1st to 3rd the to OD. I don't even have 2nd gear engine braking. I see in the ATSG manual that 2nd shares the forward and overrun clutches with 1st and 3rd when applied and I have both those gears so I'm thinking it might be that the band is burnt and slipping. The trans flares when I try to test engine braking in 2nd. I took pressure readings and they are as follows.

TV Min / TV Max
P 65 - 210
R140 - 260
N 65 - 210
OD 65 - 210
D 65 - 210
2 180 - 220
1 180 - 220

Seeing that I have adequate pressure in all gears am I right in assuming that it might be the band? Also I took the pan off to check the governor and found a small little piece of metal in the pan. I have attached a photo can someone tell me what it is. Maybe nothing but????

Attachments

• Pin.jpg
    Pin.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 177
Can you post a pic with that piece next to a dime or something so we can gauge it? You definitely have a band apply issue

Is that something added on to the 2-4 servo pin to lengthen it? Fell off? That would explain no second.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That piece is about half the size of a check ball. It may just be something that was stuck in the petroleum jelly when I installed the valve body after inspecting it.
It may be nothing at all but I'm not sure.

You might try pressing the servo cover in to see how much clearance it has. Pins break, bands break. And possibly as above, ends of pins fall off if that is the case.

Is that something added on to the 2-4 servo pin to lengthen it? Fell off? That would explain no second.

2-4 servo is 4l60/700r4 the 2004r uses the band in 2nd only.

Got it figured out. Servo pin length too short. 2nd gear is soft though.:( Thanks for all the replies.

Build the end of that pin up with a mig welder and grind it back until you have correct clearance. Might "tighten" up your 1-2

Got it figured out. Servo pin length too short. 2nd gear is soft though.:( Thanks for all the replies.
Post pics of your servo stack up. It may be possible to shim the pin inward without altering the pin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the title stated. I have no 2nd gear it shifts strait from 1st to 3rd the to OD. I don't even have 2nd gear engine braking. I see in the ATSG manual that 2nd shares the forward and overrun clutches with 1st and 3rd when applied and I have both those gears so I'm thinking it might be that the band is burnt and slipping. The trans flares when I try to test engine braking in 2nd. I took pressure readings and they are as follows.

TV Min / TV Max
P 65 - 210
R140 - 260
N 65 - 210
OD 65 - 210
D 65 - 210
2 180 - 220
1 180 - 220

Seeing that I have adequate pressure in all gears am I right in assuming that it might be the band? Also I took the pan off to check the governor and found a small little piece of metal in the pan. I have attached a photo can someone tell me what it is. Maybe nothing but????

Previous to this problem, did the trans work correct? Did you check to see if the anchor pin is broken? The lug on the band could have stretched or broke also. I would look at these as potential causes. These would be reasons for needing a longer pin.

Your Max TV is very low. I would want to see a min of 240 for max TV in drive