No 1st gear on downshift just 2nd

TurboTdr3.8

My 2004r has working great and all of sudden it started not going to 1st gear at stops and goes to 2nd gear and sometimes it goes in like normal , I can manual shift when it does it in 1st gear and it works all the gears . I have checked the TV cable and it has not moved from its setting or binding , where else do I need to look ?

The shift pattern up and down works fine and no slipping in any gear and fluid is fine with no burnt smell and color is cherry red .

This trans has been built many years ago to the next level of stock like Stage ! and it shifts hard and firm nicely so I do not believe there is too much wrong inside the clutch areas but something sticking for some reason . I have not had gauge put on it either . Any ideas ?

Last edited:
Update , Drove it today and 1st gear was working when stopping several times but I had no 4th gear or lockup , drove a little while and finally 4th gear shifted and lockup starting working, but when I went to stop it down shifted to 2nd gear only , I could put in neutral then drive it would go to 1st and then take off . Does this sound like it needs overhauling ? There is no slipping in any gears or flair . I checked the TV cable for binding but it is fine and is adjusted fine also . Has anyone had similar problems ?

Sounds like more than one problem. Pressure at minimum tv may be too high causing second starts. Try backing off the tv cable a click and see if you get a 2-1 under normal coast down to single digit speeds