Nitrous/Methanol Anti-Lag System Afterburner!

:eek: After comparing the boost trails of before the afterburner and the latest testing with the afterburner, I've found that across the board the MAP to RPM relationship has shifted over at least a solid 210 rpm. In other words, from the point that boost begins to build at 103 kPa, on up to 145 kPa, the rpm is at least 210 rpm less at any given MAP point.
For instance, 103 kPa by 4620 rpm before, now 103 kPa has built up by 4380 rpm. Before, 146 kPa by 5700 rpm, now 146 kPa has built up by 5490 rpm.
I find this rpm to boost relationship difference absolutely amazing, considering these first tests were only a simple 28 hp shot.
The boost actually climbs up in almost a straight line at 4380 rpm from 98 kPa to 110 kPa.
This should be real interesting with the 50 shot. I'm also setting this next shot up richer. 2.50:1 n/f ratio.

I'm sitting here in the car at the shop just after performing a live nitrous test on the rack of the new 50 shot afterburner. HOT DANG!!! :eek:
Details coming up.

I still have more analyzing to do with the datalogs, but I'll give you a quicky note.

50 hp shot afterburner.

In about 1.8 seconds with a TC that stalls at 3200 rpm off the nitrous,... 5,179 rpm and 138 kPa MAP. RPM and MAP still on the climb when I backed out of it.
No popping and banging. Just a little bit of a raspy sound to the exhaust and a smooth rpm and map climb.

Boys, another big tuning discovery has just been made. This afterburner WORKS!!! :cool: This is just like the gasoline ALS, but without the popping and banging and the large sacrifice in engine power while it's activated!!!

Got video. I'll get it posted soon.

Without the afterburner, I was lucky to see 145 by 5700 rpm. Really, it was usually at 5800 rpm +.
Now, 138 kPa by 5100 rpm.

I think this is going to improve my launch just a little. :biggrin:

This will be it for anymore testing on the rack, or stepping up of the afterburner shot size. Time for some track testing.

I couldn't resist. I performed a third and final test. I set the afterburner to activate .1 second after the activation of the primary nitrous system, instead of the .4 sec I had it set for with the previous two tests. I wanted to see if I needed a delay or not between activating the primary nos and the afterburner. I didn't. :eek:
I stayed in it for 2 seconds this time. WOW! :eek:

If I had the juevos to stay in it for two seconds before releasing the transbrake, I would be leaving the line at 5,550 rpm and over 160 kPa. :eek:
Ahh, hmm, I think that will be more than enough to get the job done.

I'll start out with a transbrake release delay of 1.3 seconds and work it up from there. I'm sure I will stop upping the delay before I get anywhere near 2.0 seconds.

THIS SYSTEM IS FREAKIN' WICKED!!!

Two datalogs to compare.
The first datalog is test #2. The afterburner was activated .4 sec after the primary nitrous system was activated.

The second datalog is test #3. The afterburner was activated .1 sec after the primary nitrous system was activated.

Note that the rpm and map climb rates were still pretty steep when I ended the tests.

No CO2 was being used to assist the spring of the wastegate during both tests.

Attachments

• Afterburner-test-2rs.jpg
    Afterburner-test-2rs.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 509
  • Afterburner-test-3rs.jpg
    Afterburner-test-3rs.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 489
In the second datalog, you can see the flash stall of the torque converter when the nitrous systems are activated.

Conditions during tests.
Engine temp: 80C
Nitrous bottle pressure: 900 psi.

With the development of this Nitrous/Methanol Drag Turbo Anti-lag System w/Afterburner, I now have a system that can be quickly tailored to the short comings of turbo sizing and torque converter choice.
I can run a turbo size that will guarantee me the best efficiency on the top end with little compromise with consideration to the launch, and I can run a tighter torque converter that gives good efficiency on the top end with little compromise with consideration to the launch. And all that is needed to dial in the combination is the simple changing of two easily accessible jets. 10-15 hp up or down. Gentlemen, this is what I call a perfect combination. :cool:

Landmark video coming soon.

So, I take it that the reaction out there is,
:eek: :eek: :confused:
:eek: :confused: :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
B, bu, th, tha, that's impossible???!!!

:cool:

That spooled so insanely fast for a 91mm turbo, damn. Great job pulling this off, but you know someone's going to want you to make them a kit, you selling or solo slaying for a while with it?

That spooled so insanely fast for a 91mm turbo, damn. Great job pulling this off, but you know someone's going to want you to make them a kit, you selling or solo slaying for a while with it?
Not sure. That would depend on the interest.

Way to go!! After watching that video of the quick rpm rise I would even consider switching to a turbo. I can picture just how effective that could be on any sort of tree. Im impressed!! Thanks for sharing!! Mike:cool:

servicing

From a service standpoint you have to be a mastermind ( aka genius) behind your build I had to put put lables on my lines and wires just to troubleshoot in case of an emergency. You got to have at least 1/8 mile of braid under that car. HAHA just kidding but if you did sell a kit you would have to put it in us "commoners" terms. It would be nice if you had a 274 cu motor for side by side comparisions because I believe there would be difference in all of your "timed" experiments. Your 224 motor probably has very distinct and unique characteristics. Again your acomplishments are a credit towards the buick community, the turbocharged community, the meth com., nitrous com., I mean everyone can benefit. Quick, get a patent if there isn't one already. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I stuck it out with this small engine, large turbo, tight torque converter combination because I believed that if I finally got the combination to work the way I had always dreamed it could, there could be no doubt in the minds of the naysayers that something truly amazing is going on here.
I wish I could pit beside a big name turbo racer who is checking out his popping and banging gasoline ALS, and show him what a truly technically advanced ALS is supposed to sound like. But then,... my ALS wouldn't excite the little children as much. :( Oh well.

I'm sure this added power at the launch is going to throw off all the timed events throughout the run. After I get those parameters dialed back in, I'll get a track video put together.

Way to go!! After watching that video of the quick rpm rise I would even consider switching to a turbo. I can picture just how effective that could be on any sort of tree. Im impressed!! Thanks for sharing!! Mike:cool:
Thanks Mike. That simple statement coming from you means a lot to me.