Nitrous/Methanol Anti-Lag System Afterburner!

Tonight I'll be posting a new video on YouTube that highlights the ALS/Afterburner system. There's a little humor worked in. You've got to see this one.

I like the way it seems to work Donnie and LMAO to some of the "extras" you included. You sure no animals weren't hert this time? LOL

If you study the underhood scene of the first ALS test in the video, you'll notice the spool valve has been incorporated into the spooling routine. Also, if you go to the large screen view, you will notice some blowby hazing coming from the breather catch can next to the brake master cylinder. Not to mention that the engine and up-pipe are trying to rip themselves out of the engine bay. Maybe time for a mid-plate.
Saturday night, I'm having someone take some launch video of the car so that I can study how the chassis is working. Hopefully we'll come up with some video worthy of posting. Wish me luck. :cool:

Something else you will notice, and this is interesting, viewing the in-car scene test, as the engine rpm approaches about 5,500 rpm the nitrous system is shutting down (about 176 kPa). Notice what happens to the engine behavior as the nitrous/als retard is turned off and the ignition timing is coming back in. She cleans up and the rpm sharply spikes! Even without the nitrous she's straining at the reins to go even farther! This system is amazingly awesome. :eek:

In the datalogs of these tests, the map and rpm traces showed no signs of nosing over before I chickened and got off the throttle. :eek:
CO2 was used in these latest tests to help hold the wastegate shut.

This is one of the most interesting ,out of the box thinking ideas that I have seen in a long time. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Thanks for making Turbo Buicks interesting again!!:eek:

Donnie, Do you use a delay box in your car , if so does it have a SLE (starting line enhancer) on it. That is where I see your system being absolutly killer. Mike:cool:

Donnie, Do you use a delay box in your car , if so does it have a SLE (starting line enhancer) on it. That is where I see your system being absolutly killer. Mike:cool:
I do use a couple very basic MSD delay boxes. One box is a simple two channel that has been discontinued. I'm using one channel on that box. That box controls the timing for the shut off of the primary system. I have the fuel side stay on for .2 sec after the nitrous side shuts down to allow for blowdown of the nitrous side.
The other is a basic 5 channel. I'm using 4 channels on that box. No special starting line features included. This box controls the nitrous activation of both systems, each being on a separate channel so that I could stagger them if I wished, one channel for TB release and another channel for nitrous system and delay box shutdown.

Can you give me an explanation of this starting line enhancer?

This is one of the most interesting ,out of the box thinking ideas that I have seen in a long time. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Thanks for making Turbo Buicks interesting again!!:eek:
Thanks Jeremy. I like to think that people enjoy following my adventures.

I use a Mega 450 delay box. One of its functions is the SLE timer , also reffered to as autostart. This is a timer within the box that will turn on at preset time before the transbrake releases. On my car obviously you cant go full throttle on the transbrake waiting for the tree to count down. I have an air cylinder inline on the throttle cable. When I stage and set the transbrake the air cylinder fully extends and basically the gas pedal goes to the floor and I hold it on the floor but the engine is ideling or just above idle. I set the SLE timer to pull that cylinder/throttle open at say .2 before the transbrake releases. This will result in the engine accelerating to a given rpm at the release of the brake. More time will allow more rpm etc. I can see you using this basic process to start your antilag system and have the motor at full throttle and a given rpm however long you desire before the brake releases every run!! Possibilities are endless!! Cool part is you could bracket race with it , spot a car 2-3 seconds and leave at an exact rpm everytime. Mke:cool:

I use a Mega 450 delay box. One of its functions is the SLE timer , also reffered to as autostart. This is a timer within the box that will turn on at preset time before the transbrake releases. On my car obviously you cant go full throttle on the transbrake waiting for the tree to count down. I have an air cylinder inline on the throttle cable. When I stage and set the transbrake the air cylinder fully extends and basically the gas pedal goes to the floor and I hold it on the floor but the engine is ideling or just above idle. I set the SLE timer to pull that cylinder/throttle open at say .2 before the transbrake releases. This will result in the engine accelerating to a given rpm at the release of the brake. More time will allow more rpm etc. I can see you using this basic process to start your antilag system and have the motor at full throttle and a given rpm however long you desire before the brake releases every run!! Possibilities are endless!! Cool part is you could bracket race with it , spot a car 2-3 seconds and leave at an exact rpm everytime. Mke:cool:
I'm sort of doing the same deal. The torque converter restricts how high the engine can rpm at WOT due to the low stall when off the nitrous (3200 rpm). So I stage, set the TB and go WOT. The car can sit there for a very long time at only 3200 stall. On a 3 amber tree, I release the transbrake button on the 1st amber and as soon as I release the button, the nitrous turns on. The transbrake release is on a timer that is adjustable, so if I'm targeting a particular rpm and map that I want to take off with, I put the needed amount of time into the TB release delay. The thing is, if I'm looking for the best reaction time, I have to use 1.00 second as my TB delay time. Presently, that is not enough time to build enough rpm and map for a bitchin launch.
I may need to stage and get up on the first stage of nitrous while waiting for the tree to come down, and then have the afterburner come in at the release of the TB button. And/or increase the afterburner shot to cut down on the rpm/map rise time. Things to work out later.
There's still the option of retard rev control and launch boost control that can be thrown into the mix also.

Im looking more at how this could be used in a bracket racing application where they use a cross talk tree and and I might be spotting a car by 2 seconds. thats where that SLE works great. You release the brake button on the first amber , then the delay box would apply the throttle and antilag system at precisely the same monent before release of the transbrake , no matter what the spot. Mike:cool:

Im looking more at how this could be used in a bracket racing application where they use a cross talk tree and and I might be spotting a car by 2 seconds. thats where that SLE works great. You release the brake button on the first amber , then the delay box would apply the throttle and antilag system at precisely the same monent before release of the transbrake , no matter what the spot. Mike:cool:
Ah Yes. I see how that could work. As long as you're always the second person leaving the line.

Good stuff Donnie and good for you for takingit it out there.

I LOL'd at the gear grind & belt squeal in the beginning.

Yeah, there was too much dead time at the beginning of the video and I had to put something there.

After the latest testing, a new best ET. 5.74. Getting the boost control curve closer.
Still a little more work to do on the 60'.

The latest nitrous/transbrake delay is 2.0 sec. This is allowing a 5300-5400 rpm / 154 kPa MAP launch. The nitrous is shutting down at 174 kPa MAP, .200 sec after transbrake release.

Considering the point I'm at with the dialing in of the boost controller and the wheelie bars, and the weather conditions of last night (very humid) I think there's 5.6s for the car in the near future. Heck, I haven't even pushed the limit on the boost with the limited fuel supply I have now. I figure I can get away with a couple more pounds of boost.

60 foot man....what was it?
All this info about how the 'After Smack-Shack Super-Duper Turbo Burner' is working and you don't give us any 60' times. Come on man.:D