NHRA license advice

Buds87GN

I have a stock block TSM trim car built and tuned by Bill Anderson, it was supposed to be a reliable 10.50 combo ( believe me I am not bitching Bill ) This past December after a quick dyno/tuning session at Bill’s, I went to Cecil County Drag Way in Maryland and with my 3670# door slammer I ran a 9.92 @ 137 mph. The officials at the track said anything quicker than 9.99 the driver would need a NHRA license. They wouldn’t let me turn the boost down and race, instead they made me put her back on the trailer. I am looking forward to turning UP the boost to be competitive at some of the TSM events (but I still refuse to remove my air conditioning, this car is driven!)So now what do I do? Is getting the NHRA license more hassle then it is worth, and if not how do I go about getting it? Bill had his chassis guy install a 8 point chromoly cage that I had certified so that part is handled

you will need a window net, fire suit, you can print the nhra form off of their web site. you will make 6 pass's. with the last 2 being all out and in the 9's. it was really kinda fun. you will need 2 people that have there license to watch and sign for you. you can do it and will be glad you did when its over. good luck!

If you plan on going faster and we all do IMO it is worth it to get it. 20 years ago all I wanted to run was a 13.99, and now I hope to run an 8.99. Bottom line is as much as we say "Oh I only want to run a (insert ET here) we all push it and want to go faster.

With the cage you are set and once you get the license you will be good to go and be ready to race at any track you go to and not be put on the trailer like what happeend at Cecil.

A couple years ago I completed my license runs at Cecil and was told I had to keep it at 10.00 that weekend because although I had satisified all the requirements I didn't have the actual paper. After sending everything into NHRA I had the license in a couple weeks.

So IMO it is worth getting.

Best of luck.

Congratulations on your 9 sec pass Erick! Definately getting it done on a budget! I would go to a T&T at Cecil on a Saturday and make the license runs, you need to complete this. I am pretty sure the physical form is available online.Let me know when you are ready and I definately will be there to sign for you and I bet we could con Rich Rezes into coming too!

As a bonus, you get the magazine, entrance to the tent at NHRA events and life insurance when you're racing.

Cordova (IL) is going from IHRA to NHRA this year. Now I have to get a new NHRA window sticker for my car and scrape off the IHRA one.