Newer GM Delco radio

I forget what I paid for them but they are reasonable.. If you guys get totally stuck I'll go over and pick some up and ship them out to you. Let me know.. I can't believe you can't find them! When I walked in there and told him what I was doing he reached under the counter and said you'll need this and this and I was out the door. :)

Let me rephrase this. I think something may have gotten lost in translation.

The only way I could make this work was to purchase two harness's and solder them together. I was under the impression that philly stated that he was able to do this without soldering.

I went to Circuit City, Tweeter, Best Buy, Car Toys and two other local radio shops. They all told me it could not be done with joining to harness's together.

(1) forward harness Metra part # 70-1677-1 and (1) reverse harness Metra part # 71-1858. Both have a pig tail on each end and the other is raw wires. The two harness's have to be joined together either with butt splices or solder. One end will plug in to the 87 wiring harness and the other will plug in to the 02 radio.

Is everyone in agreeance? Doing the above, I will NOT be cutting in to the stock harness. But I will have to be soldering the two harness's together that will attached the stock wires in the car to the new radio.

Originally posted by David65
Is this what you're looking for? http://www.mnrelectronics.com/par1612to21p.html

If it is, just go to a GM dealer and get it. P/N 16140051, should be $24-$25.

David

That looks like the one! If you go to Circuit City and ask the sales people inside they have no clue. You have to go to one with one of those road shops were they do the installs and just ask the guy at the counter in the garage. Or get it from GM via Dave's post! :)

I can't believe that out of all the stores that I went to, know one knew of any connector that did both. I went to the shop and ask the installers themselves and the front desk. They even showed me the catalog.

This is what I have found on line now that I know it is a 12 to 21 pin harness.

GM # 16140051 or Metra 70-1862. I think the Metra will work. It's a little cheaper. If this is the correct Metra part #, I feel like going back to each of the locations that I tried just to say "I told you so". Very irritating.

http://www.installer.com/cars/cadillac.html and scroll down to part # 70-1862

Or, http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=16140051

Or, http://www.mnrelectronics.com/par1612to21p.html

I wonder if any 12 - 21 pin Delco harness will work?

I went to Circuit City the first time when looking for one for my car. I went inside the store and asked the car audio guys. They looked at me like I was nuts and said there is nothing ever made like that. Never heard of it.. been working there for 20 million years... it would be something that would have to be custom made.. etc etc.. I walked out back to the road side install dept they have asked the guy at the counter he handed it to me and I went back in the store and bitch slapped the salesmen with it and told them they need to go back to McDonalds and work as they could not make it in car audio :D Now I know why when I did installs everyone would come to me with these questions. I was always looking for a way never to hack into the original harness when I was installing systems. Much more neater and makes people who decide to change the system out not hate you :) Good luck and post some pics when your done!

Philly..

I will eventually find one.

I spoke to both the salesman and the installer at Circuit City, Tweeter, Car Toys, Best Buy and a few local stereo shops.

They all told me it (a harness that was correct on both ends) didn't exist. They all gave me Metra part numbers (listed above thread). Both harness have a plug on one end and raw wires on teh other. The two harness have to be joinged together and THEN it will be plug into the car and radio.

Now that I know it's a 12 to 21 pin harness, I've found out more info. Looks like www.metraonline.com has it as a #70-1862.

Performing a search on ebay for 12-21 pin harness yeilds the results of a 12-21 pin smart harness. I think this is what I need and is what you got when you ask for the same.

I will call around in the morning when everyone is open to try to find one. If I don't have any luck locally, I'll try the local GM dealership.

I would advise anyone trying to purchase the correct harness to give it up and just by direct from your local GM dealership.

I spoke to the salesman and the car audio installation guys at the below businesses. None of them had a clue.

Tweeter, Car Toys, Circuit City, Best Buy and two other local stereo shops. They all stated that I would have to purchase two different harness and connect them together.

Here is the direct plug in play harness
GM # 16140051. $41.79 at the dealership.

Online for $29.95 w/o shipping.

I've also seen some smart harnesses on ebay for cheaper but not sure if they are the right ones or not.

I think it's a Metra 70-1862 but no one could tell me for sure.

Update...

I finished the install of the new radio. From start to finish, including getting the tools out and putting them back up.....10 minutes. I couldn't believe it.

I used the above GM part # but only had to pay $33 for it. Any of the above part numbers would work.

The GM part includes the antenna adapter. The other part numbers do NOT. Don't forget to get one.

Absolutely everything works on the new radio. It also sound 1000 times better than the stock. I thought my speakers were bad. Ended up being the radio.

I will post pics later.

Thanks Phillyturbosix

Your assistance was greatly appreciated.

I have never been to Philly but I promise if I ever make it up that way for something, I will look you up so that beer that I owe ya.

Glad we got you thru it! Now enjoy! :) I think I'm going to make a custom sub box for my trunk this year. Nothing crazy something neat and clean with alot of punch! :)

Back in my younger years, I always had a lot of "punch". I thought those that had Boozoka tubes (spelling ?) were weak.

Now, I don't think they are so bad. Small, nothing outrageous, and offer a little midrange.

I think I might go that route. They have a little 8 inch for around $200 and I believe it's powered. And it's easy to take in and out.

I am looking for some front speakers (dash). One of mine is blown. Have any idea as to what works?

If you want some punch for a decent price.. In my daily driver I have a Infinity Basslink 10" sub. It's small, plastic, self powered, and it has allot of adjustments on it. I have an extened cab Chev pickup and I have it behind the drivers seat. It kicks. Rocks the entire cab of my truck. If you look on eBay you can snag one for around 200 bucks. It also come with a remote level switch that you can hide anywhere around you to adjust how loud you want it or if a certain song has to much bass in it. I put that inside my console. But it really punches! Friends get in my truck and start looking for the sub box. In a GN I bet it would mount nice either on the left side of the trunk or on the hump in the trunk close to the backseat. It can be mounted flat or on it's side witch is nice! For the price and sound bass it pumps out you can't beat it if your looking to "beef" up your sound system without going nuts with a kicker box. I just never liked the sound out of those basstubes..

As far as the front.. I put Pioneer's TS-A878 (also can be found on eBay cheap) in the front of mine. The only difference is you have to mount them UNDER the dash. The factory speakers sit on top of the dash. But the Pioneers stick up to high and will make your dash budlge up some. So it's easy to do.. you just have to stick half the speaker in the hole and work it so the speaker mounts from underneath but you can do it all from the top. Just extend the speaker wires so you have room to work with but you'll be happy with the sound! Other then the GM CD radio I did the fronts and 6x9 adapters in the back deck with some 6x9 Infinity's. It sounds great but it needs an amp and some subs to really come to life. Although.. while I'm driving the GN 90% of the time I have the electric dump open and enjoy the sound from the open exhaust more then the radio! :D

12 to 21 probs

Guys I purchased the GM part number as referenced in the above thread but am having probs. I have a 02 radio out of Silverado and the harness doesn't quite fit perfectly. The adapter to the buick fits fine the blue,white and black fit perfectly but when I'm hooking into the new radio is where i run into probs. The Gm harness has two large "sliders" a white one like the original oem radio ones are on our cars and black one the white one fits but the black one goes nowhere. So do we leave the one black slider floating free?

The large multi pin adapter to the radio fits in the top fine and then the blue 4 pin jumper fits below and to the right but the small black jumper to the lower left is where I have probs. The black jumper that came with the GM adapter is a 5 pin my radio has 6 pins in the lower left outlet add to that the adapter although it is a 5 pin it only has wires to 4 of the pins. The jumper also does not slide in perfectly I had to cut a little plastic to slide it in. So technically the radio pins add to 20 not 21 and the gm harness piece is really a 19 pin so now what. Any advice would be extremely helpful. The only thing I can think of next is to take it to a shop and have them modify the radio out end. Thanks in advance.

Not sure what the problem is here. I purchased the same harness. If I remember correctly, there were one or two pig tails that I didn't use.

I do remember that some of the pigtails had a different number of pins like you stated.

I took a chance and just plugged it in. If the pigtails fit together, then I plugged them in. Everything works.