Newer GM Delco radio

justabuickv6

I am looking to upgrade my stock GN radio w/EQ.

What GM Delco radio is needed? GM part # if available and what year to look for? I've looked on Ebay but figured I would hit the salvage yard as well for a price comparison.

Any help is appreciated.

I have a CD player out of a 95 Riviera, all I had to do was swap the mounting bolt around and got a wiring harness adapter from my local car stereo shop and it works and fits beautifully!

c/d player

will a c/d player from a newer gm car say a 2000 T/A work in our cars? Also did the head unit from the riveria have a c/d player?

Yes, a newer style will work too. I know a few guys running 2000+ Gm radios with no problems, the reason I choose the 95 Riv unit was because it matches the dash better and yes, it does have a CD player. Look around some salvage yards and you should be able to find one for around $150.

I was unable to locate a wiring diagram for it on that website.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

cwelk87gn...did your buddies right down how they did it?

How many connectors are on your new radio and how many pins in each? I've got the manuals on my '98 and I could scan the wiring diagrams if it would be helpful. Another thing, I seem to remember going to a dealer and getting a set of adapters to use a newer radio in an older car.

But, you might want to read the last entry here: http://www.t6p.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3210

David

Don't cut anything!!! Go to Circuit City or any radio shop and they will have the adapter to take your current harness to the new GM one. GM only changed harness's 2 times over the years for the radio. You'll also need a antenna adapter. The newer ones are smaller. Same radio shop will have them as well. I have a 2002 Malibu CD player in my GN. Took me all of about 10 mins to pull the old one and plug and play the new one in place. The adapter makes it very simple and easy.
IMO: I would not go with the older GM CD players. The electronics in them is crap. Also the diode used for the lazer is junk. They might match the dash better but it's worth it to just go with a newer one. They sound MUCH better. You can find one for around 100 bucks shipped on eBay. Just do a search for "GM CD RADIO" and a bunch will come up. Watch some, bid on some, and you'll get one,. Make sure the security code is not turned on or if they know the code. The newer GM radio's lock out the unit when power is taken away. When you power it back up you have to put in the code. Only if someone turned it on. Most on ebay are turned off and it don't matter in any event. Here is some pics of mine in the GN...

Radio03.jpg

Radio04.jpg

Took me all of 10 mins to take the old one out and put this one in! :cool: You'll be happy with it. Your speakers will come to life.

phillyturbosix..

Thanks for the reply. The unit that you have is identical to the one that I will be using. Did you have to cut anything else? IE tray, chassis, etc?

justabuickv6: No cutting of anything. Fits right in like a glove. You might have to bend the ears on the radio to make it mount in. I had to get a little creative with that. As far as the adapters it sould plug on both ends. takes all of 2 seconds to plug it in. nothing to solder. I don't use Crotchfield. Find a local audio shop or Circuit City and they will have eveything you need! :cool:

good stuff keep my eye out for one. also how do you think GM OEM Delco AM/FM/CD radio, p/n 10315119 for a 2003-04 Cavalier, Malibu, and Alero would work? Should I try and get this instead. Is there any newer style radio that is "premium sound"?

Our radio's are DIN and a half. Some of the newer ones are double DIN and will not fit. they are too tall. You want to make sure it's this size.. CLICK HERE

Phillyturbosix:

You said the radio was a direct fit. Were you able to screw the radio into the radio in? It doesn't just sit in their, right? My car currently does not have the equalizer feature. I doubt if this matters or not.

you might have to make new holes for the screws to hold it in but it does fit right in. I remember having to get a little creative with it but it's easy. There was a nuber of brakets they used on the newer radios so depending on what radio you got you might have to bend one or take one off or move one around. Nothing you won't be able to figure out :)

So far I've gone to two different radio shops that sale and install them. They all have two different connectors that have to be spliced together. One that has a pig tail that plugs in to the Buick wires and another that plugs in to the 02 radio. The two have to be joined together with butt splices or solder.

You mentioned that you didn't have to do this. Do you remember the part number that you purchased?

Seems like everyone uses either Metra or American International harness's.

Is there a Circuit City near you? If you just go to the shop where they install the radio's they will sell you one. If you go into the store and talk to them they will look at you like you have 2 heads. If not get the phone book out and look for radio shops near you. Someone must have them in your area. It's a common adapter. Keep in mind you'll need the antenna adapter as well. Maybe I need to go to Circuit City and buy a bunch and sell them! :) You DO NOT want to cut into the harness. Sooo Sooo bad.. I've bought cars where some jackass hacked the radio harness all up and wanted to beat them with a brick. This adapter it's click click click and tun the radio on!

19.99 each. You will need both to accomplish (some say)

I want to go with phillyturbosix solution but I haven't found anyone that has the correct harness.

I'm still looking.