New TSO Header/Turbo Project

An idea just popped into my head due to this thread. I've been wanting to up my downpipe size to 6" for some time now, but 6" mandrel bent stainless is hard to find. The idea of V-banding to an aluminum section is great! I'd bet finding mandrel bent 6" aluminum tubing might be easier to find.

diesel exhaust vendors or suppliers maybe? quick search found this
Grand Rock Chrome Exhaust Stack Tip
4"-7" sizes avaiable, I don't know have a quick fix for bending that pipe but cut n weld could fix most of that, but as you know it would be a lot of work.

6" diameter, 36" long, curved top for $170 looks like a decent bet

I can get you some 6 inch mild steel 90s if you want. I can get them in aluminum too. I can get stainless too but you dont even want to know how much it is.

I can get you some 6 inch mild steel 90s if you want. I can get them in aluminum too. I can get stainless too but you dont even want to know how much it is.
Thanks. I'll lay it out, figure what I need and give you a call.

Don the weight difference between the .60 wall AL vs. the thinner SS is marginal. We used a 90 bend in SS then went to AL. I know many use AL from the turbo on with luck but I went this route anyways.

Don the weight difference between the .60 wall AL vs. the thinner SS is marginal. We used a 90 bend in SS then went to AL. I know many use AL from the turbo on with luck but I went this route anyways.

I like the idea. Having aluminum right up against the turbine housing doesn't feel right to me.

I like the idea. Having aluminum right up against the turbine housing doesn't feel right to me.

Think outside the box Don!;)
Guys have been doing this for a while,even going as far as making complete ex systems out of aluminum

Think outside the box Don!;)
Guys have been doing this for a while,even going as far as making complete ex systems out of aluminum
Maybe you've seen it, but I haven't seen anyone try it in my area. That's why I posted the question, how is the aluminum holding up? Do you have an answer for me? :biggrin:

Maybe you've seen it, but I haven't seen anyone try it in my area. That's why I posted the question, how is the aluminum holding up? Do you have an answer for me? :biggrin:

Here's mine. 11ga aluminum 5".

Still trying to finish the car so no personal results. I see at least 20 cars with aluminum downpipes everytime I go to the track.

Attachments

• downpipe.jpg
    downpipe.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 251
Do you have the situation of not wanting to bump or poke at the pipe with a tool or finger for fear of denting or putting a hole in the pipe after a hard run? You know, a softened aluminum situation?
No ones ever had a burn through from having a bend too close to the turbine outlet?

Jay. What sort of radius bends and leg lengths do you have available for the 6" mandrel bent aluminum piping? 45 degree and 90 degree.
Also, would you have a V-band flange to fit the 6" alum piping? A 6" stainless V-band flange and clamp?

Do you have the situation of not wanting to bump or poke at the pipe with a tool or finger for fear of denting or putting a hole in the pipe after a hard run? You know, a softened aluminum situation?
No ones ever had a burn through from having a bend too close to the turbine outlet?

If have seen it and have seen one burn on the first 90 at the turbo.
That first 90 needs to be a way heavier wall than the rest of the piping
this has proven to be reliable for atleast a season so far

The melting point of aluminum is 1220*f. If I remember right, the outlet of a turbo runs around 800-900. I have a mild steel 90 and the correct v-band on the shelf if I need to swap it back to steel for the 1st 90.

The melting point of aluminum is 1220*f. If I remember right, the outlet of a turbo runs around 800-900. I have a mild steel 90 and the correct v-band on the shelf if I need to swap it back to steel for the 1st 90.
Dang! I hope you don't have a burn through. You might want to build a secondary heat shield just in case. What components would be getting the flame treatment if you did happen to have a burn through? :eek: FIRE!!!

If there is any chance of that happening, I don't think it would be a good idea to do the 'we'll wait and see' experiment thing.

Dang! I hope you don't have a burn through. You might want to build a secondary heat shield just in case. What components would be getting the flame treatment if you did happen to have a burn through? :eek: FIRE!!!

If there is any chance of that happening, I don't think it would be a good idea to do the 'we'll wait and see' experiment thing.

Nothing is close to the turbo.

I see too many people doing this at the track. Nearly every turbo 10.5 car at the track is running these downpipes without issues.

No problems with the same setup as Dusty's. Its not to uncomon to burn a little in the exhaust or let out a pretty good pop.

You can see it in this pic the exhaust is right under the drivers feet.
shutdown.jpg

The car is home now. Diamond did a fantastic job, it looks great, like the turbo belongs on the car. I'll get some pics up with it completed.