New TSO Header/Turbo Project

how about bottle necking? What could be a way to measure backpressures within your exhaust system?

Hello Don, Happy New Year. Maybe this year I'll get off my ass and fix my car so we can go racing! A big boost for me will be when I sell my Bride Gias Carbon Kevlar racing reclinable seat (hoping to get 1000) then I'll have more then enough to pay for my exhaust to get welded, my last purchase needed before I can get back on the road. Its not going to be cheap I'm guessing; 3.5"DP to 3.5" cat weld, then 3.5" resonator then to 3.5" ypipe to dual 3" then to mufflers, then to custom over axle piping and 2 or 3 sections where I am going to have Vbands welded on, it sounds alot more intense then it should be when I am done mocking it all up and tac welded it. All flowmaster part numbers except for the DP got from local vendor and Cat got that from Germany (200 cell metallic spun substraight from FABSPEED).

my point exactly,from what i have found hte ex needs to actually run a path as though it were flowing into the gate rather than having to make an abrupt turn into the pipe in an opposing direction.

Its the same as adding a gate int oa 3 bolt housing using hte dhole in the housing to the wastegate,it never works well.
move it into the front of the header under the turbo and control is no issue

At first I called BS on this idea until I tested it. I felt the pressure would force enough flow through the gate to control boost. What I found was the gate couldn't flow enough to control boost until the BP reached 25#.

I had my gate mounted 1 inch from the turbo right in the middle of the merge leading to the turbo. Before the move, I could make a pass on 7#. After it was moved, the boost would go directly to 17# within .5 seconds of launch.

how about bottle necking? What could be a way to measure backpressures within your exhaust system?

Hello Don, Happy New Year. Maybe this year I'll get off my ass and fix my car so we can go racing! A big boost for me will be when I sell my Bride Gias Carbon Kevlar racing reclinable seat (hoping to get 1000) then I'll have more then enough to pay for my exhaust to get welded, my last purchase needed before I can get back on the road. Its not going to be cheap I'm guessing; 3.5"DP to 3.5" cat weld, then 3.5" resonator then to 3.5" ypipe to dual 3" then to mufflers, then to custom over axle piping and 2 or 3 sections where I am going to have Vbands welded on, it sounds alot more intense then it should be when I am done mocking it all up and tac welded it. All flowmaster part numbers except for the DP got from local vendor and Cat got that from Germany (200 cell metallic spun substraight from FABSPEED).

Just mount some 1/8 npt bungs along the exhaust system at points of interest. There are some reasonably priced gauges for measuring exhaust bp on the market.

Yeah. Get that car done. Let's go racing!

In essence you're creating an anti-reversion valve at the exit of the turbo. Except the valve is backwards.

I'm betting it is a immeasurable difference. Might be of more value as a conversation piece than anything.

I'm betting it is a immeasurable difference. Might be of more value as a conversation piece than anything.
I'll bet a lot of people probably feel the same way about wastegate placement.
Fluid dynamics is a hard thing to envision.

Sorry if I'm being a PITA. Don't mean to be. It's just that the headers look so bitchin, why not make sure the little, easy to do finishing touches are at the same level.

The headers do look very nice.

I'll shut up now.

Sorry if I'm being a PITA. Don't mean to be. It's just that the headers look so bitchin, why not make sure the little, easy to do finishing touches are at the same level.

The headers do look very nice.

I'll shut up now.

The man has run 8.28... Im pretty sure he knows what it takes to go fast, headers look good Ted. i personally think Ted is thinking outside the box with this new design, keep up the good work.

Looks bad azz Ted. Is that the new 47/88, looks like it? Nice look you have there, car is going to move the mail 2010!

That's just a mock up turbo from PTE. It will be the same as what is pictured except with a AL backing plate.

I stopped by the shop today and the new AL radiator with the SPAL fans was dropped in. There is NO ROOM left in there at all. It will be VERY tight with the 4" up pipe and the 6"x5" 90 on the turbo inlet. The pics without the radiator sure make it look like there is more room, there isn't.

It's a tight package.

Why would a TSO car ever need less than 17 psi ? :wink:

I have the same problem.Can't run less than 24 psi.I moved the outlet and made it larger last summer but had the same results.After reading this I think the 90deg mount under the turbo could be the problem.

Car is looking good Ted I look forward to seeing it run this year.

Intercooler

We cut off the old ends and fabbed up 4" pipes now.

It's just about done and will be home soon.... :cool:

Attachments

• SSPX0028.jpg
    SSPX0028.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 526
Thanks, this was the 1st prototype "The Paul" intercooler. It was designed to show what big bad nasty intercooler should perform like. :eek: :biggrin:

Custom built by Paul Thompson.

Thanks, this was the 1st prototype "The Paul" intercooler. It was designed to show what big bad nasty intercooler should perform like. :eek: :biggrin:

Custom built by Paul Thompson.

I got one and need a couple more;) Flat awesome, no dought!

Paul is a great guy!

An idea just popped into my head due to this thread. I've been wanting to up my downpipe size to 6" for some time now, but 6" mandrel bent stainless is hard to find. The idea of V-banding to an aluminum section is great! I'd bet finding mandrel bent 6" aluminum tubing might be easier to find.

An idea just popped into my head due to this thread. I've been wanting to up my downpipe size to 6" for some time now, but 6" mandrel bent stainless is hard to find. The idea of V-banding to an aluminum section is great! I'd bet finding mandrel bent 6" aluminum tubing might be easier to find.

Just take a garbage can and run it over with a semi. That might make a 6" 90. :biggrin: ;)