New TSO Header/Turbo Project

S2V6RACER

Banned
Getting ready to start the downpipe and intercooler pipes....

Attachments

• SSPX0020.jpg
    SSPX0020.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 968
  • SSPX0023.jpg
    SSPX0023.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 942
What size turbo is that? Looks like a semi turbo. My friend has a semi turbo, can you run them on cars. Think the exht housing has .95A/R. Your car looks nice!!!

Im curious with this new setup how good the boost control is.
I know with a lesser boost controller that it being is a reverse
direction i have seen over boost issues on launch.
Look nice Ted.

We are running a light weight AL DP and exhaust. The 1st 90 will be SS then a V-band adaptor to aluminum.

The turbo is a 47/88 Garrett unit, T5 flange.

Im curious with this new setup how good the boost control is.
I know with a lesser boost controller that it being is a reverse
direction i have seen over boost issues on launch.
Look nice Ted.

I'm running a AMS-1000 controller. I had a lot of problems with the Innovative I ran years ago, and haven't looked back since. I'm sure the Tial 44 should do the job well, it was rock solid with the old turbo.

They are Racepak EGT's.

That's quite impressive Ted. Makes my little 71 look like a little turd:)

Why? What difference would it make? Mine is set up similar to that I believe if I can remember right.
If you absolutely have to neck down the pipe size, it should be carried out with a long taper section. Same goes for when you need to neck up in pipe size. A quick neck down like that will cause a restriction to gas flow acting as though the pipe that you just necked down to is actually smaller than it really is. Of course, it will work, but not as efficiently as it could with the proper taper.

You could be OK depending on the amount of neck down you're trying to do in such a short length.

To put it simply, if you're trying to impress people that know better, you don't neck down, and if you do, at least do it over a long taper section.

When I mounted my wastegate in a similiar location I lost boost control. Rather than being able to hold 7#, it wouldn't go below 17#. The exhaust wanted to continue through the turbine rather than making it's way to the gate. It doesn't make sense, with the pressure the hot side sees, the gate should still flow enough to control to boost but it was a definate difference just from the location of the gate.

To put it simply, if you're trying to impress people that know better, you don't neck down, and if you do, at least do it over a long taper section.

The exducer diameter of the turbine wheel is less than 4". What's being necked down?? I have already thought about what you state here, and I feel this will not be a issue (slow us down) that's why I am making the call. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm right. We'll find out. If I'm wrong, not a hard fix right?

Don't most people "Neck down" the 3.5" outlet to 3" on the compressor side?

When I mounted my wastegate in a similiar location I lost boost control. Rather than being able to hold 7#, it wouldn't go below 17#. The exhaust wanted to continue through the turbine rather than making it's way to the gate. It doesn't make sense, with the pressure the hot side sees, the gate should still flow enough to control to boost but it was a definate difference just from the location of the gate.

It ties into the open collector under the turbo. I guess we'll see if it works or not in the spring. I sure hope so!!!

Maybe in Dusty's application the "shop vac" effect of the already spinning exhaust wheel made the restrictive side of the airflow (exhaust wheel vs open wastegate) an easier path to follow than going back through the wastegate.
My wastegate is under the turbo with a straight 2" shot from the header and it seems to work ok. Maybe apples to oranges but just a theory....:)

Youre gonna have some serious boost control issues. Here's an example for you that I ran into this week.

We work on a turbocharged Mustang with a billet 114 on it with a TurboSmart 60. The way the wastegate was mounted, we couldnt get the boost below 25 pounds. It was mounted very similar to yours. We moved it and set it up the way it SHOULD have been done and now it will go down to 12 PSI.

I think this is a similar situation as youre going to run into looking at how everything is mounted.

Nice work tho!!!!!! Good luck with it :D

my point exactly,from what i have found hte ex needs to actually run a path as though it were flowing into the gate rather than having to make an abrupt turn into the pipe in an opposing direction.

Its the same as adding a gate int oa 3 bolt housing using hte dhole in the housing to the wastegate,it never works well.
move it into the front of the header under the turbo and control is no issue

The exducer diameter of the turbine wheel is less than 4". What's being necked down?? I have already thought about what you state here, and I feel this will not be a issue (slow us down) that's why I am making the call. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm right. We'll find out. If I'm wrong, not a hard fix right?

Don't most people "Neck down" the 3.5" outlet to 3" on the compressor side?
In essence you're creating an anti-reversion valve at the exit of the turbo. Except the valve is backwards.