New Tranny Startup

T-top87GN

The Buick Manual CD Guy
Talked to a buddy that works at a tranny shop and he told me to put 8 quarts into the tranny before I start it. Is he right?

My covnerter is not new, but the tranny is and for as much fluid that is i the converter, it might as well be new as well.

I wouldnt put in more than 6 to start. You may be overfilling if you add 8 and the converter is already full. Run the car through the gears with the rear wheels off the ground till the fluid level stops dropping

OK, the converter is not new but it doesn't really have much of anything in it. It's been sitting for a while.

OK, the converter is not new but it doesn't really have much of anything in it. It's been sitting for a while.

6 is fine to start with. Keep adding once you start it till its near full and run the car through the gears till it stops dropping on the stick. Add more as needed

Starting with a fill of 4 quarts is a good general number for all makes and models of automatic transmissions. Some models of transmissions will vent the oil on startup if there is too much fluid in the pan. Cleaning up a trans fluid mess is not fun. You'll be safe starting with 4 for sure.