New to TRs need help choosing turbo please

vandal699

I just got my car on 2 days ago and it is a dilapidated pile of parts. It had what I was told is a TE62 on it but it was pulled off and replaced with a stock unit because it was burning oil badly before it was delivered to me. I do have the precision unit in my hands and could just get it rebuilt but since I am having to re do so much on the car and will likely get a new chip anyways I may use the opportunity to upgrade.
I have done turbo LSx engines but this is my 1st TR.
I am willing to go with a ball bearing unit. Just as long as I get a good turbo for a good price. I do not have a specific e.t. goal as we lost our drag strip KCIR last year. I do enjoy my quick street car fun though. This is a project to enjoy with my 5 year old daughter and I would like to show her how to build a car right the 1st time through planning.

This is the combination I am working with
Champion irons
roller cam 210/210
65lb injectors
razor meth kit
ls1 maf
ported intake

powerstroke fmic
not sure of down pipe maker but it's aftermarket
trans was rebuilt at ans in chicago

has a pink 10in converter I am unsure of stall because it currently isn't running
maf translator GEN II
umi lower control arms
eibach springs
This car was dynoed at 485rwhp with 19lbs of boost with the TE62
The brakes have been changed over vacuum but have an electric vacuum pump.

TE44 or TA49 journal bearing with a mild stall or even stock D5 converter is great on the street otherwise a 6262 journal, unless you need to spend the extra money for a ball bearing, with a 2800 to 3200 stall, would be great at the strip or on the street since you already have the ported heads to handle the flow and alky to control knock.

post some pics (we all love a good project)

a 6262 turbo is a step up from that turbo, and a step into more modern technology. Available in ball-bearing or journal. It can make all the power that a "street car" needs.

The TE62 was a 60-1 compressor, and a 76 trim exhaust ("P" trim) old-school, but good pieces. All these parts are still available, and capable of making lots of power. So rebuilding your old one would be the low-buck way to go if you like the way it ran.

It sounds like your setup was working well.

Bob

I never got to drive it as it was. The guy I bought it from has a couple problems and took it to the shop before he delivered it and his "mechanic" just tore the car up. He disassembled the column, front of the engine, oil pan, replaced injectors, maf, starter, cranks sensor, ecm, chip and more to diagnose a high idle (ran at 2k all the time). It took me 5 minutes to figure out that the fps was set at .85 initial instead of .42.
pics will be up soon. here is the original for sale thread on here 4 years ago. still pretty much the same except the paint looks like butt now
http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/we4-for-sale-in-fl.258060/

I agree with Bob.... but you really need to set some "goals" for the car. If it doesn't already have it, I'd consider a wideband and a TT wideband alky chip. Depending on actual goal, it will be easier to recommend a turbo if you just got to buy one. The old school TE62 is a bottom 11 sec to high 10 sec capable turbo. These cars are loads of fun at that power level without getting crazy with $$. If you want to go much faster than 11.0, the $$ go up rather quickly.....

I spoke with the guys from sdforcedinduction.com and they are saying they will charge me $205 to rebuild my TE62. I think this is the best route for me to go now. That way I know I have enough injector to support it. I will get a fresh TT chip and hopefully be on the streets enjoying her soon!

Please try and use one of the supporting vendors.

IMHO, give precision turbo a call. They are at the forefront of technology for turbos these days and they also rebuild them. If you decide to buy a new one at some point, I wouldn't consider anything but a PTE turbo if I was looing for the latest tech turbo for our cars.

Limit Engineering also used to support us, but I'm not sure they are still a supporting vendor.

I've lurked on the boards for a while but recently became active and the amount of help I was given here by sponsors and members is absolutely priceless. I recently purchased all my parts thru sponsors of this great forum.

GL with your build. Post Pics!

TE62 equals mid 10's with decent engine parts which you already have with the right converter, tune and traction.