New to "TR". Lots to Learn

kev

Hey there my names Kevin. Im not a master tech when it comes to working on cars but have helped in a shop and am studying automotive in college.

Ive been reading through threads and still have a LONG way to go until im satisfied with my knowledge on these Wonderful cars

Heres a little info on my car. Note: This is how i bought my car & Im going to swap in an '87 setup.

-'81 Regal
-305 Engine w/700 Trans
-Posi Diff.(not sure if GN)
-Ive got an older version of the Turbo Dash(not sure what years these came in).
I know some of you will say sell it and get a REAL TR, but this car has been around me for so long i cant do that.

Id like to know how i can find out IF my car was a TR? Carfax?

Ill post pics of how my car is setup Now and of an engine i bought earlier this week(which im going to rebuild).
Id like your guys thoughts on what direction i should go with this build.
I dont want to make any mods to the block. I am willing to make mods on the heads IF NECESSARY.
My goal with this build is to get to about 400 HP and still be a reliable DD.

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to what this forum has to offer!!

-Kevin

How car is currently:
photo 3 (1).JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo (7).JPG

If the car sentimental to you, then keep it. (I have an '81 Z28 I can't bring myself to sell because it was my first car). Otherwise you'd be better off buying a real TR to start if you want some real power. I don't know what it costs to build a clone but in my opinion the more complete car you start with ... the less you will spend in the long run. I doubt if you could get 400 hp with your original powertrain ... whatever it may be. If the car is important to you I'd fix it up and enjoy it. You won't go far with that '81 powertrain. Buy a GN and make your car a proud baby brother :)

Dang, sorry I missed the part about you buying an engine. You posted pic before I finished typing my first response. What do you know about the motor? Only mod I see looks like a homemade adjustable wastegate actuator.

The guy i bought it from told me it was running when removed and has about 145,xxx miles.

The turbo is rebuilt with about 5,000 miles on it.

Btw im not really looking into making it a "clone"

Id like to keep the car the way it is now with interior and exterior looks.

Just want to do an '87 swap

okay, I know lots of guys have done LC2 swaps. You should be able to find plenty of info here. Check the hybrid section also.

Did you get the harness and computer w/the purchase? It would help and be cheaper in the long run to purchase a doner/parts car for all the small stuff.

Yes i have 2 computers and a harness.
That's a start in the right direction. You will also need an upgraded fuel pump and hot wire kit. Either an in-tank or in-line pump. Racetronics or one of the other vendors should offer an in-tank unit.. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator and good supply and return fuel lines. Remember you will be dealing w/43# to 70+#'s of fuel pressure.

while it's on the stand go ahead and drop the pan, valve covers and timing cover. You need a new timing chain, valve springs and clean the timing gear teeth out of the oil pan.

Fuel pump, lines and hot wire kit are already on the list. Im going to be rebuilding the engine.
Im thinking of new oem pistons and crank? Would like to leave the block stock.
100# springs and new valves also.
New timing chain and gears are in the mix. maybe a cam kit?
As far as injectors, im not sure in which direction i should go? Hoping you guys could help?

Keep in mind my goal is ~400 hp.

Also the turbo was rebuilt and has ~5k miles on it. How far could i push the turbo?

Appreciate the replies guys

Took it apart earlier............

Attachments

• photo 5 (2).JPG
    photo 5 (2).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
  • photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 72
  • photo 4 (2).JPG
    photo 4 (2).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 76
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
I would say if your going to go with new pistons you might as well go 30 over to open her open a bit more. Won't be much more cost wise.

You really don't need a lot to get to the 400 hp. But, if you are like the rest of us, it becomes an addiction! lol!
The price tags are not much differant in many of the parts. I would suggest port matching, unshroud around the valves, Should you decide to go w/new pistons, by all means go w/9 or 9.5:1 pistons as opposed to the stock 8:1's. Just have your crank checked, if you have to have it replaced, consider a kit from one of the vendors as they will have a better deal as well as the knowledge and customer service. 60# inj.'s w/tt chip. and translator. As a minimum a stock intercooleer w/a k/b neck. An extended i/c would be more ideal w/the alchy.
A 206/206 to a 212/212 hyd. roller or something inbetween, would be good longevity insurance. The stock turbo will work for some time, you will be looking for a max boost of 21-23#'s w/alchy. 15#'s w/o.
At 400 w/hp, you will be looking at getting a beefed up 200-4r trans. at least a stg-I and a matching ptc or even a 9/11 converter w/a proper stall for your combo. You will learn how to tune using the the s/m, translator and powerlogger(if you decide to purchase one.) And you will be amazed w/the performance. After that it will start to get expensive!!! lol!!!