New TB oportunity. Possible score.

RED LS1

I realize the general consensus here is going to be to move forward. But I just want to talk it out with some folks that just may understand more than my wife and young children.

I've been around Tb's my whole life. In 2012 I bought a clean roller, built an engine and trans from scratch with a 10 second combination and drove it for the summer. I was facing a big move and I had to sacrifice the car to complete the move. Fast forward to now. I have since built two very fast mustangs that were Supercharged and Turbocharged and now I currently have a brand new '13 GT in Grabber Blue that I really love and my wife has a really awesome '13 Charger R/T.

I have a long time friend who is moving from Pa to FL in a few months. He has liquidated all of his stuff for the move. There is only one thing left to go and he offered me first dibs. This friend has collected Turbo regals very heavily from '96 to around '07 and has had over 30. Well, back when we were in high school(around '97) he picked up a car that I really liked. The car was a 80,000 mile one owner car in good, original , unmolested shape but had a wrist pin noise in the motor. The car was parked in a whole in his 12 car Auto shop and left there until around 2002. Than it was moved into his 2 car home garage and has sat there until right now. This car is a total time capsule from 17 years ago. The car has a cat, stock air box OG paint in good condition but checked on the tops. It still has the wrist pin sound and the power master needs redone or converted and the bumper fillers are shot.

The car is an '86 T-type Wh1 with 80k. As stated, it's dead stock. It has the original window sticker with a $17,xxx price tag. It has T-tops, power everything, Posi, digital dash and climate control. There is Zero Rust ANYWHERE!

I really don't want to take on another project especially after I just sold off all my older cars for the new one. But I had been inquiring about this car and claiming first dibs for 17 years! I told myself my Next TR would be the GN I would own for life. But a WH1 is my all time favorite T.

What should I do?? Even the Wife is Pushing me to get it. That NEVER happens!

For the first time if it is a good deal listen to your wife. But its a lot cheaper to buy one already done also...:D

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I don't think you can buy a turn key TR for this price at all let alone one as OEM and unmolested as this. The price is good.

I would weigh the costs of repair and the time it takes and if it makes sense to you go for it. Good luck.

Bryan

Sounds like it needs quite a bit of work just to get it road worthy. Carefully weigh all your options.

Buy it on the cheap.an flip for a score if it don't Pan out.

T Tops suck. I will never buy T top cars . I did once and it didnt even have the typical rust issues.

1 of 463 and a all time favorite of mine. i will take mine with the moonroof though. if a good solid t top came up at a really fair price i would still be all over it.

T Tops suck. I will never buy T top cars . I did once and it didnt even have the typical rust issues.
87GNSteve, that is such a terrible thing to say.
I feel the same way. Out of 5 turbo Buicks, all have been solid roofs.
When it came time for a '09 CTS-V sedan, same thing. Solid roof.

if a good solid t top came up at a really fair price i would still be all over it.
That may be a wise business decision, but if you were just looking to own one turbo Regal and keep it "forever" would you still get a t top if you could find a hardtop....I know which one I would get.
One car that I really loved t tops in was the 4th gen camaro it was a tight car, perfect fitting tops and had proper stowage in the hatch area for them.

That may be a wise business decision, but if you were just looking to own one turbo Regal and keep it "forever" would you still get a t top if you could find a hardtop....I know which one I would get.
One car that I really loved t tops in was the 4th gen camaro it was a tight car, perfect fitting tops and had proper stowage in the hatch area for them.

if this car wasnt a 80,000 mile lived in a garage for at least 17 years wh1 then maybe i would pass too. but since its been inside this long more than likely he wont have a problem under the t tops. i have had 2 t top cars that i drove a lot about 40,000 miles between the 2 and if the car is the way he is talking about i would jump all over it. its still a super rare intercooled turbo buick. i also have a 4th gen 97 ws6 ta i bought it brand new and it has 14,400 miles on it so i totally know what your saying with those as well. if you want to talk 3rd gen t top cars i have had several of those as well and more 2 nd gen t top cars than probably anyone else on this board. 4th gen was the best design hands down but thats comparing apples and oranges.i still say if the wh1 in question is $4000-5000 and really nice overall buy it

I will not be able to get pictures of the car until Sunday. I'm going to go over and help him dig the car out of the garage. His house sold so it's gotta go. About a month ago I asked him for a peak when I was at his shop. I was able to crawl the 4 corners of the car. There is zero rust anywhere. It has maybe 1 ding on it and no body damage. The t-tops are mint underneath. The bottoms of the doors are cherry. The steering wheel is missing but I think he has a new one for it. The breaking system is bad but he's offering a full vacuum conversion and he may even do the job as well.

Here's the deal. I know at some point I need to have a grand national that I am going to hold on to for ever. I always knew I would have one I just haven't got it yet. I feel like this car could either be the next best thing or possibly a stepping stone to getting one. About the T-tops, I'm 50/50. When I was younger it was all about hardtop and racing. Now i'm a little older and my goals for my next TB are more about cruising a classic car. So T-tops will be nice and I think my 4 and 5 year old little girls will enjoy it. If the tops were rotted, I would pass on the car. That's not the case here though.

The car is the splitting image of this only T-tops instead of moonroof. This is the only Wh1 I could find with a Burgundy interior.