New shortblock is complete

Looks nice. I would have installed the front cover first then put the girdle on. Make sure you don't forget the brass sealing washers around the oil rail studs prior to putting the pan gasket on.

Also trial fit the dipstick prior to putting the pan on. You will need to twist the dipstick alittle so it goes in easier.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Looks nice. I would have installed the front cover first then put the girdle on. Make sure you don't forget the brass sealing washers around the oil rail studs prior to putting the pan gasket on.

Also trial fit the dipstick prior to putting the pan on. You will need to twist the dipstick alittle so it goes in easier.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I just trimmed the dip stick tube about 1/4" and it worked GREAT. On the RJC girdle, anyway.

yea, the dipstick is already modified. washers in place. the front cover goes on fine with girdle in place. just have to know what your doing:cool:

oil pickup

I am no engine builder but I see your oil pickup tube and I remember the problems I had with oiling problems and we related them to the type of pickup you have. The problem is the metal strip that is over the center of the pickup. I would look for one without this strip. Good luck with your new engine and I sure hope you check this out as I would NEVER use that type of pickup. Just trying to help. HiTech6

front cover

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

He has the locating pins removed--same way I install cover.

yea, the dipstick is already modified. washers in place. the front cover goes on fine with girdle in place. just have to know what your doing:cool:

Holly Cow!!!! Steel crank, steel rods, forged pistons (diamond?), steel caps, girdle. That should be just about a bullet proof combo!!!

Why are the locating pins removed for the front cover??

Ron

So that the front cover can be installed (girdle in place) without scraping the gasketing material off of the girdle below the front cover. If you had to line up the pins and push the cover on over them, then the cover would scrape the gasket material (whatever is used) off of the girdle.
My assumption anyway.

I agree with the oil pump P/U comment. The factory stock one didn't have the center cross brace but had a brass valve that could be opened if the outer section gets blocked. I had to check at NAPA to find the correct p/u. I'd change it to the open one, better oil suction flow. IMHO GB

Looks great! What did the complete shortblock cost you to build? What cam is going in?