New set up running rough

By any chance did you know a jim f. In temecula who had a GN...retired firefighter...???

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Check your timing and set your camshaft position sensor, mine was ount and did exactly the same thing, it would lite up my knock gauge almost at idle and was very lazy. I reset my cam timing and it was complete night and day differecnce.

Ok guys, here's and update...

The WB O2 was reading off because the downpipe some how became loose...

The knock and crazy noises are apparently caused by a spun rod bearing....funny thing is when my mech pulled the engine for the head job he took the whole block apart checked everything and put new bearings in, then this happens. right now he has my rods at the machine shop to check the numbers on em and make sure there not bent or any other type of damage.

My question is has this ever happened to anyone else before? New rod bearings just going bad right after an install? Anything else i should be concerned about, besided the other rod bearings (lol) ? Anything i should ask specifically ?

You guys are the SMEs on here and any and all input would be great !!! Thank guys!!!

Either wrong bearings (too tight) or the oil system failed.

Was the oil pump primed before the motor was initially started after the freshen up?

Rick

All he does is work on Buicks...hes the GN expert 8n town ...so u would hope its nit the wrong bearings...and would imagine that he would prime the oil before the first crank....im gona run it by him

Why were new rod bearings put in when the heads were installed?

Bryan

He pulled the whole engine...and its never been completly apart since ive iwned it...he wanted to check out the block and freashen it up...

Pretty sure he means, you're getting screwed. :whistle:

Some explanation would be nice...

If your gona throw ur 2 cents in at least make them somewhat knowledgeful....empty comments dont offer anytype of constructive assistance....

It's too bad you already had the work done. Yeah Jim is one of the buick gurus, but the buick 3.8Liter LC2 engines can give problems even to those that know how to rebuild them. It doesnt take much on a new rebuild to have major trouble if things arent done in a certain finicky order, or a part isnt exactly as it needs to be clearanced or one step out of order can spell disaster in a heartbeat on our turbo buicks. I've had gnEric a member of this board who is over in Las Cruces do a couple things to my 87 Turbo Buick T and had no issues afterwards. I'm also in EL Paso and it was worth it to have him do some work on my ol' girl. He is quite fair on labor and you can watch him do the work & chat with him also on the spot. A few others go to him and have never had a problem with his work. I learned my lesson on letting eric solely touch my turbo buick, had too many issues at times when some other places here in town weren't well versed on our rare beasts and ended up having other things eventually go wrong that wouldnt of in a short time. Luckily she runs flawlessly, outside of being alittle too rich and having a d6 converter instead of a d5 or other correct replacement turbo buick 200-4r converter from a transmission rebuild by aamco a couple years back here in el paso. Once i get the money, gonna rectify that converter with one Eric has used in a few rebuilds on different vehicles and let him swap it in. I hope you end up with a happy ending to your story and don't end up shelling out way more cash for getting your car going properly with the upgrades you wanted done.

From personal experience replacing the bearings without resizing the rods doesn't work too well. Let us know what you find out.

Bearings were resized the firat and second time...

Uodate...got her back and shes running great ....just taking her a lil sliw for the next few 500 miles till i break her in and change the oil...

Glad it worked out for you.. I'm still working on getting all on the kinks sorted out on my 2nd GN ,which I had the 4.1 re-built, damn hack job on was done after some pricks cut all my gauge wires.

Bearings were resized the firat and second time...

Uodate...got her back and shes running great ....just taking her a lil sliw for the next few 500 miles till i break her in and change the oil...

Shouldnt need a break-in......
The only break-in that needs to be done is when a new flat tappet cam is installed. If the rings were not replaced then they are already seated. Put some boost to her.....

Bryan