New Posi. Axles Moved?

SpeedRacerX

Wasn't sure what subforum to post this.

Anyway, my car is not G80 optioned and with some more mods coming, I knew the open rear had to go.

I had an Eaton posi, 28 spline, installed today. I'm away for work so i havent seen it yet. I'm told the install went fast and smooth. Shimmed, backlash, driving, etc are all great.

But... I am told the stock axles both moved outward about 1/8th of an inch!! Rear brake shoes are still completely in the drum though which is good.

Is this normal? Does the Eaton posi situate the axles in a different place? I'm told the c-clips went back in fine also.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

how would (could) they have measured that?

I can't think of any real issues that might cause, presuming there are no grooves in the drums that the shoes would need to re-carve themselves to.

I have not heard of this kind of thing with the aftermarket Posi's, I had an Eaton years ago, and a friend had an Auburn.

Bob

how would (could) they have measured that?

I can't think of any real issues that might cause, presuming there are no grooves in the drums that the shoes would need to re-carve themselves to.

I have not heard of this kind of thing with the aftermarket Posi's, I had an Eaton years ago, and a friend had an Auburn.

Bob
Hmm. This has me concerned now.

When i installed my new axles and posi late last year one axle moved out just enough for one of my brake rotors to rub against the caliper frame.
Scratched the rotor just a bit.
Other then that no issues.
I installed 30 spline axles, eaton true trac and i have disc rear.
There is a spacer between the axles that must had been so slightly wider im guessing.

I installed a 30 spline eaton in a car last month. I had several problems. The biggest were that the car had disc brakes in the back and the axle flanges were slightly larger than rotor inside diameter so I had to turn them down for clearance. The next big problem was that the axles were out about .080" further and the caliper brackets needed to be spaced outward. Also I needed a shim kit because the stack up was too tight with the factory shims. Anytime anything is changed be prepared to fix any other items that are associated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i installed my new axles and posi late last year one axle moved out just enough for one of my brake rotors to rub against the caliper frame.
Scratched the rotor just a bit.
Other then that no issues.
I installed 30 spline axles, eaton true trac and i have disc rear.
There is a spacer between the axles that must had been so slightly wider im guessing.
I used some 7/16 hardened washers

I installed a 30 spline eaton in a car last month. I had several problems. The biggest were that the car had disc brakes in the back and the axle flanges were slightly larger than rotor inside diameter so I had to turn them down for clearance. The next big problem was that the axles were out about .080" further and the caliper brackets needed to be spaced outward. Also I needed a shim kit because the stack up was too tight with the factory shims. Anytime anything is changed be prepared to fix any other items that are associated!

Isn't that the truth. My saving grace might be that my car has aluminum drum brakes in the rear. I did give my mechanic an entire master install kit too so he would have had plenty of shims.

Well, picked the car up today. He did a great job. Feels so solid and quiet. You can't notice anything. Very happy with the job and the price was great. Did a little quick burnout to test the posi. It works. Lol.

He did show me the factory one he took out. The passenger side bearing and race were pretty chewed up and a couple of the spider gears inside the carrier had chunks missing.

Very happy I made this switch to the Eaton posi.