New Orleans!

GeneralB44

www.pinkhumpy.com
Thank goodness I'm getting away from the snow this weekend, heading down to New Orleans for a short vaca. Anybody know quality jazz clubs, or have any recommendations for restaurants or things to do? Can't always trust the guide books, but you can always trust a buick guy, right? :)

Cheers!

Have fun, everything is getting geared up for Mardi Gras right now. Where are you staying?

I suggest you stay off St. Charles in the Garden District if and travel using the street car. (not a trolley :p ) You can buy a pass from your hotel desk. Get a Muffalatta at the central grocerey and check out Cafe Le Monde for some of the more famous eats. Don't wait in line at the Cafe Le Monde just go around the back and fine an empty table even if dirty and sit down. Only rear tourist wait in line. ;) Ride the street car to the bend west down St. Charles to Camela grill for great burgers, milk shakes, and waffels. Cooter Browns is there too and they have the biggest beer selection in town with over 250 beers. You can walk the riverfront to listen to jazz for free or check out any of the local establishments. If you're just there for the weekend try to avoid the big time wasters like a riverboat cruise or swamp tour. You can do that another time IMO. Though if you do a swamp tour go at night. :p

I found Bourbon street to be overrated, but found New Orleans to be a nice town full of things to do.

James

Have fun, everything is getting geared up for Mardi Gras right now. Where are you staying?

I suggest you stay off St. Charles in the Garden District if and travel using the street car. (not a trolley :p ) You can buy a pass from your hotel desk. Get a Muffalatta at the central grocerey and check out Cafe Le Monde for some of the more famous eats. Don't wait in line at the Cafe Le Monde just go around the back and fine an empty table even if dirty and sit down. Only rear tourist wait in line. ;) Ride the street car to the bend west down St. Charles to Camela grill for great burgers, milk shakes, and waffels. Cooter Browns is there too and they have the biggest beer selection in town with over 250 beers. You can walk the riverfront to listen to jazz for free or check out any of the local establishments. If you're just there for the weekend try to avoid the big time wasters like a riverboat cruise or swamp tour. You can do that another time IMO. Though if you do a swamp tour go at night. :p

I found Bourbon street to be overrated, but found New Orleans to be a nice town full of things to do.

James

Cafe' Du Monde and Muffaletta.. hehe.. Just a little correction there.

You can try James' suggestion for the Muffaletta or go to Cafe Maspearo's for one. It is located right near Jax Brewery which has plenty of nice shops, stores, etc.

The Riverwalk is nice also. If you do venture toward Bourboun and are looking for the bar scene, you have Pat O's of course as well as other favorites like the Cat's Meow.

Say hello to the one eyed guitar player for me.

Oh yeah, St. Louis Cathedral (Jackson Square) if beautiful. Jackson Square usually has plenty of street performers, artists, etc. to entertain you.

If anyone bets you a dollar that they can tell you where you got your shoes or that they know how many kids you're dad had, don't bite.
Beware of street hustlers and pickpockets in the "quarter"..

1ARUNEM <-- grew up in New Orleans..

P.S. don't forget the drive thru Daquiri shops.. :)

Haven't made it down there in 3-4 years. Is Rhythms still open? I liked that place, big and open with good bands. What's the place with the good beignets? Best thing after a long night at the bars.

N.O. is more fun during the day, IMO, be sure to wander around. It's like a different city. The Aquarium of the Americas is cool, as well as the Riverwalk. Ralph & Kakoo's is a good seafood restaurant.

Don't bother with the riverboat ride. Takes too long and dull.

Don't to the wrong end of Bourbon street. To one side, happy and drunk, to the other...

That town kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!

I was there last summer. Made no plans. Just got a ride from the airport to the French Quarter, got about ten drinks at a half dozen different places around Bourbon Street, then looked for a hotel, got some rest, back out at 10 pm for more food and drink.

The food and drinkin' is all so good no plans are needed. There are some very nice restaurants that many consider must go to type places, like Brennan's, but you can go to any plain jane looking market and still get an amazing meal.

Lose about 10lbs before you go because you're guaranteed to put that much on during your trip. The food is great. I lived there for 7 years and visited about 3 years ago. All the places mentioned are great. Don't drive yourself, the streets downtown have no logic to them and it seems like every other street is a one way. I almost had a meltdown.

Most importantly, if you're going single, make sure any girls you find are really girls beforehand.

Beignets at Cafe Du Monde at 2am.. Really hit the spot...

And yea, stay away from "that" end of Bourbon St. unless you "bat from the other side of the plate.."

PLEASE try a roast beef sandwich while there.. Open face WITH gravy...
I'm drooling here...
:D

Awesome tips guys! Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Now to get ready to put on those 10 pounds of good eatin. :)