New or just a replacement radiator...

veedubcrazy

It has been a while since I have been here but I am at a point to where I am at a crossroads. The 87 T-Type needs a complete overhaul of the cooling sysytem before it goes back on the road. So far, the water pump (AC-Delco) upper/lower rad hoses, water neck outlet (AC/Delco) and thermostat has been replaced. I took the original radiator in to be cleaned/repaired but the shop said there it is not repairable due to the too many pinhole leaks. What are my options? Ebay? Good used? What other radiators can be used on an 87 T-Type? Any/all suggestions are appreciated here...

Dave

ps., the 87 T-Type is basically stock so a stock/stock type radiator is all that is needed.

GBodyParts sells Re-cored ones. ALRADCO also has a very nice unit. Costs more bread, but its looks and performance are out of this world. (So I've heard)

For almost 20 years we have been supplying a 3 row, high efficiency stock replacement radiator for 1986-7 turbo Buicks.

Our replacement core is special one which was developed for the hot Southwest climate, and we have sent many hundreds of these all over the country. :smile:

We supply the above mentioned G-body replacement radiator to Brian.

In testing our 3 row HE stock rad vs. alum replacements here in our desert climate, they cool the same. Copper is actually a better heat conductor than aluminum.

No mods are needed for install, and they are aways in stock for immediate delivery.

The rad shop said that every time one pinhole was fixed and put under pressure, an other would pop up. This T sat for a while in storage and then moved residence in my garage. I am thinking all that time with the fluid just sitting in the radiator di not do good things. Time for replacement...

I am on my phone right now so searching sucks but I will try to find the thread about high trans temps from someone using an external cooler. It was commented that it is much better to use the stock cooler as water cools better than air. I also use an external from myf body rad days but am hooking up the stock location one in the alradco. Before I do, I am putting my trans temp gauge in and seeing temps with the external, then with using the internal. Using the internal oil cooler did wonders and I even gained a few psi. I plan to report it on the thread I posted above. Would have done it yesterday but need a few valve body gaskets for the transbrake install I am doing with it. :)

For almost 20 years we have been supplying a 3 row, high efficiency stock replacement radiator for 1986-7 turbo Buicks.

Our replacement core is special one which was developed for the hot Southwest climate, and we have sent many hundreds of these all over the country. :smile:

We supply the above mentioned G-body replacement radiator to Brian.

In testing our 3 row HE stock rad vs. alum replacements here in our desert climate, they cool the same. Copper is actually a better heat conductor than aluminum.

No mods are needed for install, and they are aways in stock for immediate delivery.

hello; Are you saying your rad. uses a copper core or are you just stating a fact?
IBBY

I would just go with an F-Body radiator if you want to save some money. For 100 bucks and 1/2 the weight, you can't beat it. Plug and play. I have 173 degee temps. And that was in yesterdays 95 temp with high humidity. If you want to add bling or you want pure stock, then something else.

I have an Alrado unit waiting for install.
I chose the non coated option for a little bring factor.
Peter was a pleasure to work with.
I will create an installation and results thread soon.

The 94 4WD Suburban is going on the selling block soon with the T going to be my wife's DD. I don't want any problem to pop up with the cooling system. The Alradco unit seems sturdy enough and I really like the fact that its built here, not overseas.

Man, it hurt to open the wallet that wide! :eek: Minutes after I emailed G Body Parts, I had my answer and they had an order.

Man, it hurt to open the wallet that wide! :eek: Minutes after I emailed G Body Parts, I had my answer and they had an order.

I know what you mean, but even if I was normally a cheap skate (yeah, that is me...) if it were my wife driving it, I would spend the extra $ to make sure she doesn't end up on the side of the road. You will be happy when you get it, and get it in. It is beautiful, and will be the last one you buy, which I couldn't say the same for the F body. As much as it hurt, you made the right decision. ;)