ACDelco vs Wix - now I am a believer

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I bought the AC Delco, used PF52 forever. Decided to compare the recommended Wix. Now I see why. The pics will show you the difference. Size is a good start.
Image (006)S.jpg

Image (005)S.jpg

Weight is another good indicator, both were new and dry at time of photo. Wix weighs over 20% more, think of what is inside.

Image (004)S.jpg

Image (003)S.jpg

Finally, no anti-drainback on the ACD, nice rubber anti-drainback on the Wix. If it were a vertical mount, there would be an argument. For a sideways stock mount, the Wix is the way to go. Need to buy them in bulk though online, parts store was $14 with tax. ACD is 1/3 the price.

Image (007)S.jpg

Looking at the ring of holes (inlets) in the ACD, the foto looks like some are restricted. How far beneath the 8 holes is the next ring?
On the wix, if u push a pencil eraser thru the inlet holes, how far does the drain back have behind it to open? Got a better shot at a slight angle of the center outlet pipe so we can see the perforations?
I may have to rig up an oil flow backpressure tester....
From what I see so far, the wix is better!
THANKS!!!!!!!
TIMINATOR

12-10-22 post 626 GN cut apart and weighed an old American wix and a new China wix filter. Check this out! THANKS ALL!
TIMINATOR

The inner plate is right at 1/4" below the outer plate. There is plenty of room for oil to flow. You can see the nylon cage inside the threaded hole holding the pleated filter material in place. There is a convex spring plate in the bottom pressing all this to the top.

I believe the spring is the over pressure bypass, it allows the element to unseat and the oil to go out the center outlet hole, that's why the rubber seal , which is also the drain back valve.
TIMINATOR

Wait until you order more wix in the future,I ordered 2 last year and one came made in China and one in USA. Wix XP has a finer media and is more restrictive. Here is what I found. If you order a $175K Copo Camaro they come with a blue delco. Buy new BBC 1000 HP crate motor....same blue filter. Buy a $100 K Vette and guess what ...blue filter and thats what thet get for 60,000 miles. Do you really think the General would put a sub par filter on a motor it has to warranty?? Oh and Delco is made in USA by Champion labs.
Just my observations >

Engineers designed, speced, and built the engines, the bean counters may have specd the filters. It wouldn't be the first time, I hope I'm wrong.
I have the extra length blue on my T coupe Ltd. With a few Xtra H.P.
One of my customers has an oil analysis lab, I'll give him a sample and post when it's oil change time.
TIMINATOR

Wait until you order more wix in the future,I ordered 2 last year and one came made in China and one in USA. Wix XP has a finer media and is more restrictive. Here is what I found. If you order a $175K Copo Camaro they come with a blue delco. Buy new BBC 1000 HP crate motor....same blue filter. Buy a $100 K Vette and guess what ...blue filter and thats what thet get for 60,000 miles. Do you really think the General would put a sub par filter on a motor it has to warranty?? Oh and Delco is made in USA by Champion labs.
Just my observations >
If memory serves me correctly, The General also puts out a cheaper version that go to a lot of parts stores. They have plastic innards or at least used to.

Wix used to be based in Gastonia, NC. I lived 5-10 minutes from them. Believe they’ve been bought out. I still believe that Wix is a top of the line filter. Same filter can be found under the Napa Gold line.

That and shitfire projected nose spark plugs gapped at .058", and that Texaco gas with Petrox! Ya gotta try sumtin to stay ahead of some of them newbies!
I'm party scared myself! I'm hoping Fer twelve sumtin so I can b top dawg here in feenix! Mebbie dem E3 plugs, do thay got E6s Fer us booik guys?
Not timin8in yet...

I totally agree on the bean counter thing. I work on a fleet of vehicles and noticed over a year ago the wix passenger car (white) filters were coming made everywhere but here. Then I came across the Wix Black version that was made in China. I have used Wix forever but things change. I reached out to some friends in the business and in racing and most are looking for options. The delco Blue will be on my stuff until something changes . Champion labs makes filters for Mopar and Ford also. Lots of stuff floating on the great web and I looked at some of it. Just offering up some info.

Just my observations >
Are those COPO or Vette filters horizontally installed or vertically? As I stated, a vertical installation may be arguable. A horizontal installation will allow the oil to drain out. Grand statements are fine and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just be aware whether the comparisons are equal.

I have heard comparative statements about crash helmets as well: buy a $100 helmet if you have a $100 head. I have a multi-million dollar head - where are the multi-million dollar helmets that warrant the price tag?

Now that we have "what's the best oil filter" settled, lets find out what's the best oil. :LOL:
Wix is a napa is a wix.

Finally, no anti-drainback on the ACD, nice rubber anti-drainback on the Wix. If it were a vertical mount, there would be an argument. For a sideways stock mount, the Wix is the way to go. Need to buy them in bulk though online, parts store was $14 with tax. ACD is 1/3 the price.

View attachment 393432
I have a turbo saver that mounts the filter behind the headlight vertically. I’ve used a six 51060 for 3 years. Love em.

I'm a Baldwin kinda guy. Use em on my Cummins too. Read about wix getting sold and got a few wix chicom units and quit buying em. I will say if you change em regularly I doubt it makes much difference.