New motor, new knock........again.

turbosam6

My cars suck
For all those that remember my last post, same deal. Motor was rebuilt again, actually got to boost this one about 5 times (yee haw), got it out today, just cruising, enjoying the weather, and lo and behold, knock knock. Didn't even get on it at all. I'm so pissed words can't describe, this will be the 3rd time the motor has to be rebuilt in 6 or 7 months. I really have no point or no question, just need to bitch. I know its the bearings, cuz if the motor cools off, it won't knock (oil's thicker when its cold). If the car gets to operating temp, about 175 degrees, it knocks under light throttle. Goes away when you give it more gas. Same as before. Will call the builder tomorrow, any recommendations on what to do or look for? I wish I drank, I'd be so plastered. Thanks for listening.

Damn, Sam...that is terrible news...I hope someone helps make it right up there.

Mike, didn't anyone warn you about the seven dwarves? :D

I was told the block was line bored. Funny how all my buddies motors last A LOT longer and they beat the life out of them. I baby my car unless I'm racing. What little boost this car has seen has produced zero knock. It really ran good till today. Knowing where my builder lives is no help cuz its 3 hours away. So here we go, 3 hours on a trailer, leave my car, wait x amount of time, drive 3 hours and get car, spend lots of time and $$$$$$ on gas in my diesel, etc. Big fun. I will end up missing everything this summer at this rate. At 400 or so miles per rebuild, I better limit my driving, huh?

Originally posted by Steve Wood
Damn, Sam...that is terrible news...I hope someone helps make it right up there.

Mike, didn't anyone warn you about the seven dwarves? :D

I dont get it :confused: :confused:

Sorry to hear about the motor. I saw you pull those numbers at the dyno last week. If it is bearings make sure you have the turbo looked at. my had bearings go and rebuilt the motor and a week later the turbo took a crap and chewed up all the blades. not its not worth rebuilding. good luck.:mad:

This is going to sound really really stupid but......

I had a Nova with a small block in it that did the same thing. Started up fine, car got warm, started a little knock, high revs the knock went away. Put 2 crank kits in before I found the real problem...the starter.

Now I said it would sound stupid. But after the starter got heat soaked the thing would get loose and let the gear hit the flywheel. Just flopped back and forth. When you rev high it wouldn't. Sounded just like a rod knocking.

Now in order for this to be true in your case your builder would have to ripping you off by not telling you the rod & mains looked fine when he rebuilt it.

I hope you find the problem is a simple one, good luck.

That really stinks Sam, I was planning on calling you sometime about hitting the track. My T is headed back to Quincy tomorrow anyway, as I finally found a car to replace my Shelby Charger.

Here's what happened to the charger by the way:
blew head gasket --> chunk off of head --> hole through piston --> hole through oil filter --> oil sprays out Nascar style --> one dead little four cylinder that still ran before we pulled the head

Too bad I didn't see you around, I was out cruising a little bit myself today.

are you sure its not timing chain slap it will sound just like you descibed and if it was line bored and didnt get a shorter chain that will even make it worse.

i ran a db roller in one motor and it got louder the more miles it got on it

and i also had one with stock style chain do it and found the tensioner had broke

I know how you feel

I had my moter rebuilt 2 times in 8 months. The first rebuild lasted 6 weeks:eek:

Good Luck
FRANKIEz

You need to find someone with experence in Turbo Buicks. The small block chevy builder won't cut it.

what kind of bearings are you using.? have the rods/mains checked. and put in King Bearings. I never had any luck with Clevite 77's, but i am sure many people did. if its the rod, this is easy to correct, if its the main, then look into your block. idiot me was going the cheap route one time and tried to use a normal block, lets just say, it stretched this block from one end to another, and yes, rebuilt it twice. block off your oil cooler too, just loop the line that goes to the radiator. ;you may have debris in this too. good luck.

"I'm glad I know where my builder lives "

did ya see the for sale sign????? :)

Steve I am NOT a dwarve..I am an "etheopian" :p

I don't have an oil cooler anymore, so no debris. The car has to get totally warm for it to knock. If it cools off then the oil thickens up and it doesn't knock. So I doubt timing chain, 2 different chains anyway. Builder is well known buick builder. Spoke with him today, he doesn't think bearings cuz oil pressure never dropped. He also said that last time the bearings weren't bad, he just replaced them anyway, said they weren't bad enough to cause knock. What else can knock at only warm temps without oil pressure dropping? Would the oil pressure necessarily drop for sure if it was bearings? Gotta mail him the oil filter to cut open and inspect. Again.

Originally posted by Grumpy
"I'm glad I know where my builder lives "

did ya see the for sale sign????? :)

Steve I am NOT a dwarve..I am an "etheopian" :p

Unlike Mr. S, you got it! LOL

I better send you a bottle of Tej, if you are an Ethiopian!

I don't know, whats the difference? My motor builder did all of that. I'll know eventually whats wrong cuz I'm gonna drive it. F*ck it.

Just my .02

Sam - This my be the wrong place for this but I've been burned so many times with goods and services that I do almost all my business now with my MasterCard. Reason: I get goods or services that are CRAP, I call the CC company, dispute the charge, write up my documentation, and the dispute automatically goes into a 6 week arbitration period. It's amazing how companies become very willing to listen to you when MasterCard debits their account and takes your money back out. Then you are on a level playing field with your shop or store, in dispute. I'm starting to find that it's the ruthless bastards that get satisfaction in the end, don't ask - DEMAND! - BB:mad: