New memeber looking for a 87 GN

Mera

I'm looking for a 87 GN. Hardtop preferred. Probably not with T-tops. Low mileage and as close to original as possible. Analog dash only. Selling my 348 TS Ferrari because I just never drive it. Only 600 miles in 5 years. Cash in hand. Has to be a really nice one. :)

Messed up the title. Seems I can't edit the title. :( I can spell, really.

Thanks
Rodney Dickman
Caledonia, WI

Rodney,

Welcome to the site. Take your time and find the cleanest one you can get. The fixer-uppers will nickel and dine you to death. There's nothing wrong with a few tasteful modifications. They should help drive ability, protect the engine from damage, add a little power and should not hurt the value. Lots of good info and great people here. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

Mike Barnard

What section can I post a general GN question. I want to ask for opinions on T-tops. Are they good and worth having? Problematic? Do we have a forum for general questions like this?

Thanks
Rodney
Soon to sell my 348 Ferrari and buy an 87 GN. :)

What section can I post a general GN question. I want to ask for opinions on T-tops. Are they good and worth having? Problematic? Do we have a forum for general questions like this?

Thanks
Rodney
Soon to sell my 348 Ferrari and buy an 87 GN. :)
Yes they are problematic!

So I should stay away from a T-top car even if it is very low mileage? I may never (maybe rarely) drive it in the rain but I will occasionally wash it. How about the Vista roofs? I think they call it the Vista roof. Or should I only consider a hardtop?

Thanks
Rodney

As a owner of a t-top car, I would steer clear. Low mileage ones may be ok, and you can inspect them to a degree, but most have rot issues due to crappy engineering. I personally haven't heard anything bad about moon roofs.

The one I am looking at has never been in the rain. I will seldom if ever drive it in the rain. I would wash it occasionally. Past the rain part what about the quality of the T-top stuff and does it compromise the strength of the car? I'll never race it. I would occasionally get on the gas but only occasionally. Past that I would drive it like a granny. :)

Past the rain part what about the quality of the T-top stuff and does it compromise the strength of the car? I'll never race it. I would occasionally get on the gas but only occasionally. Past that I would drive it like a granny. :)

Opinions seem to vary greatly on this. I would add a few stiffeners whether a t-top or hard top.

What I know: Many years ago I had a 78 Firebird Formula and a 79 10th Anniversary Trans Am. Both had the GM Fischer T-tops and they were top shelf. Punched into the steel roof. I remember Hurst made a kit and (I believe) Cars and Concepts. I think the Hurst kit was sorta OKish. The Cars and Concepts were low quality junk in my opinion. Moving forward I sell Fiero parts and acc's. Cars and Concepts made the T-tops for the Fiero. Also like the ones for the Firebirds and in my opinion somewhat low quality. OK when the tops are in but you can see the low cost aluminum extrusions when the T-tops are out. So how are the 87 GN T-tops? It is not a GM assembly line option. It was an aftermarket item in a sense. Opinions? Again I might buy this under 10,000 miles 87 GN that has never been in the rain and never abused and I will do the same. It is all stock and I would keep it that way. Wit the T-tops out of an 87 GN how does the frame under them and such look? Is the frame aluminum? Anywhere I can find some close up pictures?

Thanks
Rodney

Typically, T-top Turbo Buick cars are less desirable and sell for less money. Their squeaks, leaks, rust and structural issues are legendary.
There are also many people who love them. I the end, it's whatever puts a smile on your face. If you like em, go for it.:)

Many questions can be found using the search functions here. If you can't find the answer, ask. This is your New Guy thread. You can ask anything you want here.
You just may not get as many replays as if the question were posted in a section that was better suited.

Mike B.

Thanks. What is the better section to post this question in? I'm torn on the T-top. I would guess I would lean towards the solid top.

Thanks
Rodney

Found the 87 GN of my dreams. My friend (sorta a friend, really a nice guy) has a 87 hardtop with around 9,000 miles on it and it is almost 100% original and perfect (rear spoiler needs repaint, some checking). He put on new tires but has the original factory tires and he will include those in the sale. He also changed the shocks to KYB's I believe. He has the OEM shocks but I'll leave the KYB's on. At worst I'll take the rears off and paint them black like the factory original shocks. Past that it is all original. Chip has not been changed. Everything under the hood is original. Factory original exhaust. He did buy a new performance cat back exhaust system back when but he never put it on. I will not change the exhaust. I want to keep it all original. What a joy to be able to buy this GN. I'll be smiling for a long time. :)

How proud I'll be at car shows to be able to show people an original unaltered 87 GN. I'll use it during the summer but only in good weather and only locally. I'll maybe put a couple thousand miles on it every summer. Coming up on 60 this is maybe my last collector car. I'll be very proud to own it. I should have it sometime in the next so many weeks. Have to wait for some rain to wash the salt off the roads.

Rodney