New hotair intakes underway!

Anything new to report? I've just been looking at the pics of the interior of the intake, and the more I look and compare to the stocker 84/85 intake pics on gnttype.org, the more I am impressed by the amount of work and thought that went into it. One more thing, I'm not sure if you have the tooling set up yet or not for production (I'm assuming not) but on the top there's a spot for an emblem, if it doesn't add too much to the complexity of making the casting (I could see a slight problem with it increasing the rejection rate of castings if the metal were poured fairly cool like I'd imagine it would be in a low detail piece like this) it'd be nice to keep that.

I have been swamped with Syclone/Typhoon projects.

My buick still has issues with oil pressure. Gauge finally showed up today. Once I can get that solved I can actually drive car again.

I did not anticipate this project to take this long and would have never even mentioned it so early had I known.

I am 90% sure it will happen (working on 2 other test vehicles).

I am also working on chaning my milling machine over to CNC and have since purchased a plasma cutter which will help in this project.

I think will be well worth the time to fully test and get the new tools up and running.

I have several intaks on the shelf and a few plenums already for this project.

I can say the little I did drive buick, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday mike is coming down (didn't make it last week).

Hopefully I can finish the last SyTy project i have to deliver soon before then.

Again, sorry for the long strung out project, hasn't died, just lots going on besides Buicks, if you can believe that.

Jeff

I have one test car lined up already, and if all goes well, we should have another lined up in a week or so, deconstruction on the intakes should start Saturday...shouldn't take too long with a plasma cutter. The next two cars will be intercooled using either the stock 86-87 or other. One is using the stock ecm, and I believe that other is converted to the 86-87 unit. Hopefully at least on of the other two project cars will be ready for testing within the next 30 days.

To repeat what Jeff has already said, sorry it has taken so long guys, but like I said before, until its a finished product, we don't want to ship anything out. I am getting deep into my pockets with this thing, and so is Jeff, so believe me, nobody wants to get these finished more than us.

Not to mention my car can't go back together without an intake, and the #1 test car is Jeff's daily driver.

My buick is still kicking me.

Oil pressure is next to nothing at all RPM's.

Changed oil pump, not it. Thinking bearing clearance somewhere is not good. Pressure relief isn't sticking, 2 gauges verify pressure.

So looking to make a 2nd intake and put on Mark's Red T, as it is in good running condition, so we can eliminate the 50 other variables in my car.

Also working on just buying a known good engine for my hotair. Getting tired of pulling motors in and out and adding more variable to what should have been a simple test.

I will take pics when we install Mark's intake in coming weeks.

A very interesting project, to say the least...

Keep us posted on the development of this intake.

I've been keeping up with you guys with each post. Sounds like you've had some discouraging things along the way unrelated to the actual manifold modifiations. Keep up the hard work. You can count me in for one once you get to producing one.

Yes, the manifold has been easy relative to getting the motor going on a budget.

To point now, give up on budget, take motor to shop and let someone do it.

So if I don't round up another motor soon, will be taking short block to shop and let them find out why oil pressure is so low.

This is after the bad crank, and 50 other things car suffers.

I should have known when bringing car back, and ending up in the Bronx (wrong turn), getting concrete thrown from overpass in PA onto the buick, and getting flat tire on trailer at 3am this car was possessed by evid demons.

O well, I just call it Cristine. Thinking about getting custom plate to go with it.

Originally posted by typhoon
Yes, the manifold has been easy relative to getting the motor going on a budget.

To point now, give up on budget, take motor to shop and let someone do it.

So if I don't round up another motor soon, will be taking short block to shop and let them find out why oil pressure is so low.

This is after the bad crank, and 50 other things car suffers.

I should have known when bringing car back, and ending up in the Bronx (wrong turn), getting concrete thrown from overpass in PA onto the buick, and getting flat tire on trailer at 3am this car was possessed by evid demons.

O well, I just call it Cristine. Thinking about getting custom plate to go with it.

Sounds like this has been quite an adventure ;)

Do you have any kind of a rough guesstimate as to how much these manifolds will run when you start producing them?

My guess on the low oil pressure is the timing chain cover...Check the SIDE clearance on the oil pump gears...The sides of the gear pocket are probably worn out...I chased and chased an oil pressure problem on my motor for a while...I could only get 40# at WOT and roughly 10# at idle on a brand new GM cover...Turns out I had some trash go through the pump/gears and scored the side walls of the pump...

Before you blow money on the motor, swap out the timing cover for another and see if it helps...

We put a standard volume pump in first time, engine primed at 60psi.

That was before we found out crank was toast.

Since can't get pressure, so really thinking is a bearing.

We did try a new HV pump, thinking it may help. The shims they give you to line up the extra plate barely fit in, so don't think the side clearance is an issue.

Got the booster plate also, but changed out the oil filter adaptor with good used for fun. Nothing helped.

Just tired of working on car at this point for the stupid stuff. Would rather just have an engine guy go through everything now.

Price:~$500 exchange.

Piping for intercoolers will be extra.

i am honestly to point of development of how to mod intakes so they fit, etc. I just hate selling something I have not "tested" and run myself. I do know they bolt on, fit, etc. Just can't give seat of pants yet. If someone was willing to accept that, we can possibly talk.

how much for one .if i put on my exellent running stock car and i post before and after dyno results???

Got a good known low mile motor lined up now to put in my car.

The bad part is my schedule is booked again for next 2 weeks between a birthday (daughters), visitors, and flying to Tucson Arizona for work.

BTW (anybody in Tucson want to meet for dinner let me know be there from 19th-22nd near INA road @ Sargent Controls)

How come progress always has to be slow and involve 15 steps backwards???

New motor is physically in car, but front cover was bad.

Once new cover arrives will hopefully get car running.

Complete different motor from low mile 86 buick, all appears in good shape minus the cover which had a stripped oil pump thread.

Damn this thread got long!!! lol..How is that front cover coming along? I noticed you got the motor out of an 86? Was it a GN or an N/A motor? My brother just picked up an 84 t with a rod knock, but I also just got another 84 that was used partially as a parts car after a rear end accident. Car is complete minus sensors and some misc crap. If you need anything, let me know. I am onyly using the bottom end and block of the motor...Intake and turbo and all on top are going to ebay if no-one bites. I was told that the car has 4 years and about 15-20,000 miles on a Buick Crate Turbo motor. The motor came from michigan where a guy had 8 still on the factory pallets in a large bay garage. I think he sold all of them, but I can ask my buddy if you want. These motors were still in their factory plastic wrap, with a GM build sheet and desticantion recipt. I can find out more if there are any left, and if not, I got plenty of parts!

Good luck!

John

I have been sidetracked getting my mill converted to CNC control in antipation of this and several other projects I have going.

Hence working on buick, hasn't been major priority, although tomorrow I may do some of the work I dread like getting all the bolts front tranny to engine, so I can drop car off jack stands.

Motor is out of an 86, has a interesting story, although not confirmed but basically story goes low mile, pulled from wrecked GN, guy was racing car on street, won, turned to laugh ran off the road.

Internally engine looks low miles, downside is it has sat on engine stand for a number or years, few pieces missing.

So I have high hopes, as this car was to be a driver, not a big money pit and a statue in the garage to be worked on. I have the typhoon filling the statue void already.

Update: CAR RUNS!!!!:D :D :D

25PSI oil pressure @ idle and hot
60PSI going down the road.

We put ~40miles on it last night, runs well cruises smooth.

Still a few minor tweaks, like not building boost, but I am very happy. This time it is something I can work with, 2psi of oil pressure wasn't.

Good news, hopefully progress will pick up now...I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say I am eagerly awaiting the results/finished product!

I will try and get a video of the car idling tomorrow posted.

After a few minor adjustments, it actually idles nice, starts right up, etc.

Still a few lines, hoses, IAC to finalize but I am VERY happy after months of flusteration.

I have 2 intake in progress also, and will get some better pictures of the final product. While working on the motor this last time I had the plenum back off, was nice to be able to look down and see the back of the valves, and the only porting I did was a gasket match to the Felpro 1200 gaskets.

Still running 84 ECM, stock Fuel pressure. Plan to swap over to 86 ECM to make tuning and scanning a bit easier, although I can say with great confidence it runs just as good as the stock motor ever did, well besides the lack of boost right now, it is actually BETTER than stock, crispier throttle, smoother acceleration, etc.

Anybody near or around Louisville that wants to see car, shoot me an email.

Me and my brother want one of these intakes really bad before we sell our cars. It is great to hear the car is running keep up the good work ! I have had the money in the piggy bank for awhile LOL:D