New Hot Street / Race Piston

Mike Licht

I was here first
Piston technology has changed some in the last couple years especially in the turbo world so I went to my friends at Diamond and we worked out a new design for e 3.8 piston that will be offered by us. It uses their latest dish design, has valve reliefs that work with iron or Aluminum heads, more material on top, more reinforcement, lower ring package. They will be shipped with the tick wall H-13 tool steel Trend wrist pin, and the Total Seal Stainless AP ring set. This is currently the strongest most advanced package available for the Buick V6. They will come in 3.810, 3.820 and 3.830 sizes as stocking items and we will have them for stock stroke and 3.625 stroke cranks. The piston pin and ring package sells for $949.99 which is very nice for a package with this caliber of quality and top end parts. We have some in production and are shipping.

Mike
FTS-Race-Pistons.jpg

Mike, what are the compression heights available and what is the dish volume on these pistons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the dish volume on that set is -23 and compression height is 1.50. The final dish size will be a bit smaller as most guys are moving to higher compression ratios. Deck heights can be adjusted as needed if the customer has special needs. What do you have in mind?
Mike

the dish volume on that set is -23 and compression height is 1.50. The final dish size will be a bit smaller as most guys are moving to higher compression ratios. Deck heights can be adjusted as needed if the customer has special needs. What do you have in mind?
Mike
I'd like to know what valve clearance the reliefs offer Mike, One other thing is how much to have a set custom made?

I went to well over .600 on a test, its going to depend on lobe separation how much do you need ? What do you want custom? minor changes so be little or no cost

Mike
My thoughts would be to have the dish fall in the low 20's (on the 3.8x bores)with the compression height so that the piston will wind up .010" in the hole after a .010" deck cut with a late 6109 block. This will allow CR of 9-9.5:1 with relative ease and fine tuning with gasket thickness not a problem. From what I've seen these engines with small turbos like the CR in the 9.3-9.5:1 range or possibly even higher. It really helps increase the cylinder fill a lot when the drive pressure ratio starts going over 1.3:1 with the small turbos. I've personally seen over 75whp when comparing similar engines with the same turbo all in. I documented a lot with the cast 60-1 and have the numbers with 7.5:1 CR and 9:1 CR. It's too bad so many hurt their 8:1 engines with tuning errors like lean out and or excessive timing vs cylinder fill. It's possible to have a higher CR and more reliable if the cam, cam timing, and ignition timing are correct. So many post that a lower CR can handle more boost. The problem with that comment is that the people that have said t to me weren't running more boost than I was with higher CR's and they sure as heck weren't more reliable.

Last edited:
I went to well over .600 on a test, its going to depend on lobe separation how much do you need ? What do you want custom? minor changes so be little or no cost
If those valve reliefs line up with the valves in the heads Id expect that pretty much any lobe that could be safely ground on a Buick journaled cam would clear with a 1.65 rocker unless the timing is way out. It's always worth checking but i don't see a problem

you and I think a lot a like they were set up to be .010 down and like you said low 20's on the dish but I am thinking 20 now. I could not agree more about the compression my next one will be 10 to 1 for sure and the turbo LS I am building now is 10 -1 and that is going to make more power than 99% of Buicks on the planet. We are on the same page. The valve reliefs were extended a bit so any head from an iron to a champion R or TA valve space will fit them. I suspect 650+ lift will not be a problem. We tried to cover all the bases here and address the important things people want in a premium part. I think we are there but am open to suggestion
Mike

I think anyone building one of these engines today needs to be at 9.3+ compression if you plant o run 30+ PSI a lot hard anodize is an option too

I saw these in person while my visit with Mike this week while on business in Michigan. This is a nice piece to put into you hands and have Mike explain to you the benefits, if only I waited a few months to build my stroker :). Enjoyed the visit Mike and look forward to working with FTP.

Very nice mike , it was great talking with about the new Pistons today . keep us up to date on these :) . 9.5 to 1 on my 109 build is where I'd like to be on my street /strip driver.

the piston and pin are 669 grams, I did not weigh the rings or the spirolocks but that's pretty standard on those

What wall thickness wrist pin?
This is very similar to the 4.01 bore diamonds i had custom made for my stage 2. They were trying to talk me into the combustion chamber shape dish. I wanted uniform strength and no sharp edges.
I am running .598 lift 224 dur cam. Pistons are .010 down with a .051 gasket, when i clayed the reliefs the valve never hit the clay.

Well, I kicked off my 109 build and my engine builder suggested that I go with these Pistons. If I'm not mistaken he said that he had already used a set in another build. If I'm not mistaken Diamond Pistons are manufactured here in my home state of MI.

Mike, I'm looking to push 600hp to the wheels do these come with different wrist pins depending on the power level?