New headers install becoming a PITA

Ill trade u a stock set for them :D

- lol, and a free introductory CD on how to TIG weld.

This is a total false statement right here.

- I'm not saying I believe you but if you're right, how is that not false advertising. I thought the U.S was very picky bout such legal issues that may arise because of it. All allegedly of course.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Well hopefully once youre done reworking them theyll seal up decent. Since youre not using gaskets you have a pretty good chance, with gaskets it would only deform worse when you torque the bolts down. Good luck and keep us informed

That's what I was hoping, thanks I will keep an update and maybe post pics.

"Wing Ding Dong" ahhh, beautiful..... Anyway, Archie is a reasonable guy so I'm sure he'll make it right. He'll just send them back to the manufacturer so I would modify them in any way. Also, you can't go wrong with TA's. Their products are very, very good. I have two sets of headers from TA, a 3 bolt and a 4 bolt set and both are perfect.

I have to chime in here.

I purchased those same GN1 headers and I was immediately disgusted by the quality. They were warped all over, welds were very inconsistent, primaries were not centered on the flange, overall very poor workmanship and quality control. I immediately called and demanded a full refund which thankfully was granted.

I ended up doing what I should have done in the first place and I ordered the set from TA performance, although they were considerably more, they were worth every penny!

The first thing I did was try and scrutinize them when I pulled them out of the box. The welds were amazing, primaries were centered perfectly on each flange, flanges were milled/sanded to be flat, material was beautiful, I had absolutely NO complaints. I have to give TA performance a big thumbs up because from looking at their product it is obvious that they take PRIDE in their work and that is something that is becoming far and few between these days.

And since I am, rightfully so, praising TA performance I will do the same for RJC, I have bought their 325 inter cooler and 3" DP, also beautiful works of quality.

P.S. this is my experience, I am sure some people may have had just fine experiences with the GN1s but I stand by what I have said most of my life, you get what you pay for!

...on a more serious note, I think I am going to put the stock passenger side back on, Theres just too much crap going on with the gn1. I noticed on the OEM header that the holes are bigger so I reamed the bottom hole I was having trouble with and it still wouldn't fit, it was finally at this point that I realised "I'm done", I don't want to make 'em fit with all this grinding and prying and drilling, it just doesn't feel right (yeah I know I can be a little stubborn but I eventually get it), especially on such an expensive and what can be a tempermental car.. I may use the gn1 driver side but will have to see if I can do something with the 2 crossovers I have now. Welding and cutting will probably be involved.

Best case scenario: $800 bucks for a driver side and mucho grief.
Worse case: $800 bucks wasted and mucho grief... and purchase of new headers...probably driver side as I won't want to pull the passenger again.

Paulo, I think I got your headers.

You know I was thinking that, that would be horrible if they just resold them.

Sorry to hear your troubles, no one should have to deal with that. Best thing you can do is just try and educate people of what they could potentially be buying so they don't have to go through the grief you had to deal with. Until at least they can start making a quality product.

Thanks for the information, think I'll keep getting the stocker's weld repaired, although they are getting paper thin. It's pretty hard to catch a used set of the TA headers on here, I guess we all know why they sell so quick...

Chuck

Hi,
Im only going to waste my time on only one word to describe GN1 headers........JUNK!

Thanks,Nick

...Well, as long as this thread is here I'm going to periodically bump it to make sure potential new buyers will know that GN1 headers are JUNK, even if a purported new NEW version comes out, they will be junk. Goodbye 800 dollars. Maybe whoever makes these thought they'd send a crap set up to Canada and they'd never hear about them again.

Here, I put the factory passenger side back on, all nice 'n tight just to show I know what a wrench is for and its not user error. Like a glove. Scratched up the heat shield wrestling with he GN1 crap in and out 20 times.
0mao.jpg

Heres the GN1 mocked up on the drivers side, as I mentioned before you can see it hits the valve cover. Also I have a few bolts in and the rest wont go in, even on the middle port one I can get one in but the other not so much. Not tightend down, just to see if all the holes would match up. Same problem with the passenger, that's why I ground the top of the flanges which didn't make a difference.
v2a7.jpg

Drivers side also hits the shift link, it wouldn't be such a problem but its just another one. Oh and check out that welding, come to think of it,it wouldn't pass QC on a $250 mountain bike.
919q.jpg

Tops ground off. What a joke, man I got taken.

Where in the hell do you live that the cost of shipping these back was not worth it??? As soon as you saw they did not line up or they were warped...back in the box, and see ya!!!!
Your now out $800, instead of $800- whatever for shipping. I would still get Archie's ass on the phone and send them back regardless of the hacking you did. Guys who just sweep this shit under the rug are why he is getting away with this garbage. You should at least recover enough of your $$$ to get a stock replacement from Kirban or another supplier.
These issues here are why I love this forum sooo much. I ask about certain parts way before purchase. You get all the feedback you need in a few days....and that saves a ton of frustration and headaches.
Throw those pieces of shit back in the box...and tell Archie...Happy F'n Birthday, but in Chinese.

Maybe as someone mentioned to you this set of headers has been returned before. I purchase a crossover pipe from a well known vendor that didn't fit and like you I modified it to avoid shipping it back. While working on it I found a return slip packed down inside of it that stated all of the same problems that I was having. At this point I called the vendor to tell him about the problems and right away he remembered this pipe and said that he didn't know how it was sent out again and was very sorry. I had already corrected the problems but before the vendor knew this he offered to send a new one and store credit for my trouble and shipping cost. I would call them to explain why you took the steps that you did and see what happens.

Where in the hell do you live that the cost of shipping these back was not worth it??? As soon as you saw they did not line up or they were warped...back in the box, and see ya!!!!

You're right, I have no real good excuse other than pressed for time, I need to get the car running (along with a couple others) to transport this car in the fall and was hoping to drive it onto the truck...that and wanted to get in a little summer cruise time. Shipping was a $100 and between waiting for the payment to clear and ship times it was around 3 weeks, so I was willing to try and make them fit.

I didn't buy them from this Archie dude, I got them from GN Specialties, as far as I know he held up his end, I ordered and paid, he shipped out what I ordered even saved me tax on the shipping bill.

I think I'm leaning towards getting the driver side replacement that Kirban sells for $350. Are these any good?, it says they are 409 stainless-the same as the factory crackers?. Anybody use them?, any fitment issues?. One of the most important things is -who makes them? if GN1 does I'd like to avoid that, it would be a real kicker to throw them some more money...

You're right, I have no real good excuse other than pressed for time, I need to get the car running (along with a couple others) to transport this car in the fall and was hoping to drive it onto the truck...that and wanted to get in a little summer cruise time. Shipping was a $100 and between waiting for the payment to clear and ship times it was around 3 weeks, so I was willing to try and make them fit.

I didn't buy them from this Archie dude, I got them from GN Specialties, as far as I know he held up his end, I ordered and paid, he shipped out what I ordered even saved me tax on the shipping bill.

You got played more than you even know. This guy doesn't even stock parts. They're all drop shipped. He's just a middle man. His website lists them for 649.95. The person that actually carries the headers charges 599.00 from his website. $100 for shipping? I just got a quote from the website that carries them for $21.65 across the country. Saved you tax? Unless your in the same state as him internet purchases aren't subject to tax. You got f'd in the a and he didn't even have the courtesy to use lube. Don't even try to return them cause you'll never see a dime. He used to sell GN parts on eBay til everyone got wise to his shenanigans. He's not an asset to the Buick community, just an ass. Chalk this one up to lesson learned. We're all here on this site to help you which is one reason he's banned from this website. Here's a nice thread about his business practices.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/beware-of-ebays-gnpowermasters.323722/

Been there done that. The add for these headers should say "It's not easy but they can fit".

Cmon. He has to take most of the responsibility. Yes, they are shit, and the vendor shouldn't even sell them - BUT..
  • He came here, asked for help, was told immediately to return them, NOT to grind on them - he would be screwed.
  • Some said take them to a machine shop and get them machined.
  • He did everything that other posters said NOT to do, and now he's out $800
Once you decided to ignore the advice in almost every reply, it's on you, 3-5.0.

Sucks, but time to chalk it up, learn, and move on. You should be able to find a correctly repaired stocker here.

I'll tell you what I'll do for you. If I ever meet GNPOWERMASTERS in person...I will beat his ass for charging you $100 shipping. That's totally absurd. He has been the topic of several conversations where severely overcharging was involved. I think PittsburghKid would do 15-20 in the slammer to get his hands on him. You went into the purchase blind and he robbed you. If you would have bought these from Mark H, you would have recieved top notch customer service and your issues would have been resolved and you would be driving your car. My TA headers cost me $35.00 to ship and that's from Arizona to Penn.
Hey fellow members...we owe it to the newbies to post a sticky about the non-contributing vendors and a few of the issues they may face if they choose to purchase. These guys are getting ripped off. Granted, they need to do some homework ahead of time, but something should be posted. The Mods have altered the selling requirements in our for sale section to cut back on bad deals, but these back alley vendors are doing the same and hiding behind a so called business name.

By the way...the Archie I was posting about is the owner of the company that actually has the headers made.

Folks, 3-5.0 is in Canada. That is why the shipping was high and he had to pay tax. Canada charges a lot in the way of taxes when products are imported into the country. Then due to the size of headers would need to use a common carrier, which usually charges to handle customs let alone the shipping fees.

We ship quite a bit to Canada, but fortunately for our customers we can use USPS. No customs fees which helps. But even a small 10"x8"x5" box at 2.5 pounds is $31 USD. That is for Priority Mail so that we are sure that it gets delivered (and has tracking).

RemoveBeforeFlight