New Header Panel, Ever heard of World of Motorworks?

Stay away from Paul Castle....he has proven himself to be a very, very dishonest crook.......screwed over a lot of guys here on this forum a few years ago.........afterthought: A leopard never changes his spots no matter how old they get.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I have a buddy that has a Taiwan header panel on his car. Hate to say it but the fit isn't that bad at all :unsure:

I have the last one that was tested on my car. We were going to bring the model back out and invest in the tooling, but it was too old. The company named Procom was the original header panel for the aftermarket back in the 80s and 90s. Yes the fit is really good in all reality. The reason I failed it was due to the mounting hole slots for all the accessories to be mounted to it. After time there is variance that comes with a tool that runs as long as it did. Can the header panel work? yes...it did and does, but did not feel comfortable putting our name on it with there being obvious flaws. We wanted to change the idea of an AM piece in the hands of our consumers, not make it worse. When I asked the factory to make the necessary repairs to run production they said no...not worth it.

So where is the tool? Its still there and can be made to work again, with the same obvious flaws. But there is a 100 piece min to order, and no return. This is a policy that goodmark does not adhere to.

I have been speaking with Mike Bernard about his header panel, and look forward to his progress. I am unsure of the development of the header, and understand how hard making this panel fit correctly can be. I think it is best to let mike make his header panel and have a product that is right and with new tooling versus a product that looks and fits correct, but has flaws because of the age of the tool.

I guess at this point I am waiting on mike to say yea or na, and then we go to work on making a header panel tool for the market

Calling Mike??

Last edited:
What are they made out of? I know is is not fiberglass.

SMC composites. Hand laying a headerpanel is VERY difficult, hence the reason SMC is widely used with header panels, new hybrid core supports, etc. It's injected, not laid

Looking for header panel here,too. I posted in the New Products Request section in this forum for one a long while ago.

First stay away from Paul castle and his whole outfit, nothing but crooks and scammers.

Second, I thought Mike @SPOOLFOOL2 was working on these?

Yes.
Mike is all over this thing. :)
Seriously guys. This is a tough one to do correctly. We don't need another POS header panel on the market. We need one that fits nice right out of the box and will last. As was posted. This is a complex part. it can not be done with hand laid fiberglass (like my bumper fillers). This needs to be injection molded. This past year I made a mold and turned out a few parts. Most of the issues I was worried about, we were able to overcome. However, there were some unexpected flaws in the parts. We attempted to correct the mold with no success. We are now in the process of taking what we've learned and making a new mold. There is a learning curve on this stuff. I have forked out a bunch of dough and hundreds of hours on this thing. I am committed to seeing this thing thru. Thank you for your patience on this.

Something to wrap your head around: Originally, our header panels were made out of fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP).
IMHO, this is horrible product for body parts. It is very brittle and prone to cracking, very difficult to repair without the paint shrinking in over time, and a nightmare to try to ship without damage.

Other Gbodys and almost every car since then has made their nose out of urethane. There is a reason for this. The new urethanes are much better than the stuff used in the 70s and 80s. If damaged, can be easily repaired at almost any body shop. This is what our new header panels will be made from. As with my bumper fillers, my goal is to make a product that fits, looks and lasts better than the original, and do it for a fair price.

No: I will not take pre-orders.
No: I can't tell you the price yet.
No: I can not tell you exactly when they are going to be done.
No: They will not have the hood ornament hole drilled.
Yes: They will be made in the USA by hippies, surfers, mountain bikers and skydivers. ;)

I'll update this in the next few weeks as things progress.

Happy Spooling.
Mike Barnard
Spoolfool Productions

Yes.
Mike is all over this thing. :)
Seriously guys. This is a tough one to do correctly. We don't need another POS header panel on the market. We need one that fits nice right out of the box and will last. As was posted. This is a complex part. it can not be done with hand laid fiberglass (like my bumper fillers). This needs to be injection molded. This past year I made a mold and turned out a few parts. Most of the issues I was worried about, we were able to overcome. However, there were some unexpected flaws in the parts. We attempted to correct the mold with no success. We are now in the process of taking what we've learned and making a new mold. There is a learning curve on this stuff. I have forked out a bunch of dough and hundreds of hours on this thing. I am committed to seeing this thing thru. Thank you for your patience on this.

Something to wrap your head around: Originally, our header panels were made out of fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP).
IMHO, this is horrible product for body parts. It is very brittle and prone to cracking, very difficult to repair without the paint shrinking in over time, and a nightmare to try to ship without damage.

Other Gbodys and almost every car since then has made their nose out of urethane. There is a reason for this. The new urethanes are much better than the stuff used in the 70s and 80s. If damaged, can be easily repaired at almost any body shop. This is what our new header panels will be made from. As with my bumper fillers, my goal is to make a product that fits, looks and lasts better than the original, and do it for a fair price.

No: I will not take pre-orders.
No: I can't tell you the price yet.
No: I can not tell you exactly when they are going to be done.
No: They will not have the hood ornament hole drilled.
Yes: They will be made in the USA by hippies, surfers, mountain bikers and skydivers. ;)

I'll update this in the next few weeks as things progress.

Happy Spooling.
Mike Barnard
Spoolfool Productions

Hey Mike,

Two models that I am aware of used urethane header panels which were the pontiac 2+2 and the monte SS. THe bumper covers on the cutlass and many others were made of PU. They used a PU urethane which is known to have issues and shrinkage and expansion. Why I know this? Because the SS header panel is under development and we are trying to get the materials correct. We are about to scrap the idea because of such difficulty. The cutlass, Malibu, monte (non ss) , elco, etc all have SMC header panels??? You are stating your header panel will be made of urethane? This is a flexible material regardless of newer technology of today??

Most bumper covers today on newer cars have more of TPUR/TPO/PP which is what Goodmark bumper fillers are made of. The more urethane you have the more flexible, the more poly (pp) you have the more rigid the parts are and have more of a "shape memory"

Have you looked into making the mold applicable to these compounds below? This is what MANY front end reinforcement parts are made from on the latest model cars

PP
PPGF 70%/30%
PAG

Last edited:
Toby.
Thanks for your input. The plan is to make it out of a hard urethane. Similar to what you'd make a splitter out of. We're still playing around with exactly which one. We've had to make the plug thicker in some areas and more draft in others.
One of the problems is that I'm a picky SOB. I want this thing to be nice. :D

Mike B.

Toby.
Thanks for your input. The plan is to make it out of a hard urethane. Similar to what you'd make a splitter out of. We're still playing around with exactly which one. We've had to make the plug thicker in some areas and more draft in others.
One of the problems is that I'm a picky SOB. I want this thing to be nice. :D

Mike B.

Good deal mike, wish you success and luck in this one!!

You da Man, Mike!

Thank you for all you do!!