New GOLD Standard

VETROC

If $29,900 buys you a 700 mile Kirban GN, then what are the others worth?

700 mile GN - $29,900
1000 - 5000 mi - ?
6000 - 9000 mi - ?
10,000 - 15,000 mi - ?
16,000 - 19,000 mi - ?
20,000 - 29,000 mi - ?
30,000 - 40,000 mi - ?

Where does everyone think the values of the above are today if you can get a perfect pretty much new car for $29,900?

What ever someone is willing to pay for them.:wink:

If $29,900 buys you a 700 mile Kirban GN, then what are the others worth?

700 mile GN - $29,900
1000 - 5000 mi - ?
6000 - 9000 mi - ?
10,000 - 15,000 mi - ?
16,000 - 19,000 mi - ?
20,000 - 29,000 mi - ?
30,000 - 40,000 mi - ?

Where does everyone think the values of the above are today if you can get a perfect pretty much new car for $29,900?

I have seen 30K cars that are junk and 75k cars like new.....:confused:

Millage is only part of the equation

Please assume each category is as clean as a car with those miles should be.

Also, it is understood that a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, so no need to state the obvious.

Just curious what others think GN's are worth in todays market if you are working backwards from a 700 mile perfect car taht sold for $29,900.

Real Data...

Just sold my '87 GN with 43,000 miles in excellent condition (seriously, could pass for 4300 miles), mid level mods (low 12's), with original parts included for $22,300. As many of you can easily understand...I had quite a bit more invested, but feel this was a fair price. Truly nice cars will always bring good money.

In general:

700 mile GN - $29,900
1000 - 5000 mi - $27,000
6000 - 9000 mi - $25,000
10,000 - 15,000 mi - $23,000
16,000 - 19,000 mi - $21,000
20,000 - 29,000 mi - $19,000
30,000 - 40,000 mi - $17,000

Will always be some variability though. This is simply an opinion based on observation that in no way is intended to offend anyone. As stated above, nice cars will always bring good money from the right buyer and something is always worth what someone is willing to pay for it at that moment in time. ;)

I have 27k miles on mine know. It would probably take 25-28k for me to sell.
But it is as clean underneath as it is inside and out. w/lots of mods done right.

Correct cars sell. Original or not.

BUT, realistically, how many super low mile cars in excellent condition are really out there?

First you must consider that these are relatively low production cars to begin with, how many are left? (In what trim/option variations?)

Secondly, how many have been wrecked/destroyed thus removing them from the pool of cars available?

Third, how many people have modified their cars or kept them original?

I wonder if perhaps we should be asking an additional question? What is the "gold" standard or pricing valuation for the rest of the cars? (ie: the ones that are not super low mile, unmodded, time capsules)

While I understand that the economy is crap and values on everything are down, should we not have at the very least, a baseline for what one should expect for "x" amount of dollars?

When I buy a car I consider what is needed an try to adjust my spending accordingly. (ie: does it need a trans- if so that's $1000-2000, does it need such and such, and so forth)

I know I'm rambling but I think that buyers have gotten used to these fire sale prices and forget that it costs real money to build or maintain a nice, clean, reliable, and fast car...

Just my .02:cool:

In general:

700 mile GN - $29,900
1000 - 5000 mi - $27,000
6000 - 9000 mi - $25,000
10,000 - 15,000 mi - $23,000
16,000 - 19,000 mi - $21,000
20,000 - 29,000 mi - $19,000
30,000 - 40,000 mi - $17,000

Will always be some variability though. This is simply an opinion based on observation that in no way is intended to offend anyone. As stated above, nice cars will always bring good money from the right buyer and something is always worth what someone is willing to pay for it at that moment in time. ;)

I like the pricing guide you posted. Sounds right to me. Assuming the cars condition mirrors the mileage I feel that is pretty dang accurate.

I have been keeping very good track of the prices GN's are currently selling for and I will post my updated list of what I think and have seen these cars go for soon. :smile:

Another 16K mi GN just sold yesterday on Ebay for $14K

I have been keeping very good track of the prices GN's are currently selling for and I will post my updated list of what I think and have seen these cars go for soon. :smile:

I await your list. I know alot goes into what these cars are "worth" vs what they will sell for. At 14k I would just give it to my friend or something else. Im afraid it would hurt my feelings to take that bad of a beating on it.

This thread is not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. Just trying to guage prices in this market, which I know others are curious about as well.

I know many will opt to not sell in these times and keep their cars either indefinately or until the market gets better, but I and I am sure others are interested in where the ever changing market with respect to these cars is right now. :)

Not familiar with that car but that sounds almost too good to be true. Makes me think something is wrong with it or that it doesn't resemble an authentic 16K mile car.

In general, Ebay is a good place for people to get rid of their crap and for bargain shoppers/low ballers to get that "steal" they so desire. Lots of times results in a not so pleasent surprise for people on the buying end and a great sense of relief for people on the selling end. This is based only on my personal experience and observations as a buyer.

I do think ebay is good for small items, but for major purchases I would steer clear unless it is convenient to view the item in person.

I've personally used ebay to try and help sell things in the past mainly because it allows me to reach a large audience. However, I don't think it's a good reflector of true market value as I have never successfully sold anything large on e-bay. Usually it is bid way below what I believe the true market value for vehicles in the condition that I have had as I don't buy or sell crap. I feel I'm pretty fair, like quality examples, and have a good sense of what is an unbiased fair market value for a vehicle at that time given the current market conditions. In the end for me, it usually just generated enough interest in something I've had to help sell it off ebay for what it's truly worth.

When people stop giving their cars away their price (not value) will go back up.

If I had owned that 700 mile GN I would have started it at $38K and if it didn't sell I would post it again until it did.

Fuken rediculous that a brand new American muscle classic car that is 22 years old sells for only $10k more then it did when it was brand new. $19k for 22 years at 8% will yield $110k. So much for an investment.

The only people that will change what these cars bring in is the people selling them. Stop giving them away and the price will return to where it belongs.

When I got my loan for my '87 GN back at the end of May, the loan officer looked it up on some kind of online classic car site. She told me that an '87 GN with my mileage (59.5K) and in MINT condition booked at $29.3k. In "Average condition" it was like $16k (about what condition mine is in) and for a total pos that runs and drives with that mileage was worth $8k..

Going by what I've seen people on here and on ebay selling them for, that's prety accurate.

There's an older guy in my area who's the original owner of a t-top '87 GN with 43k miles that's ben repainted at some point, the trunk lid emblem's on the wrong side and he has some underhood chrome and interior gauges. He wants "$30k FIRM" for it.. It's been FOR SALE on and off for the past three years. I'd like to say with him being an older gentleman and being the original owner, that car was cared for through its 22 year life, but for some reason or another he LOVES to repeatedly rev it to red line almost everytme he pulls into the parking lot at the car show (stock exhaust)..then he shuts it off right away..:rolleyes:

In all honesty, I love the fact that these cars are valuable, sought after collector cars. But at the same time I could care less. I love the car for the car. :smile:

Below follow my findings based on what I have seen over the last few months. These are real sales and are not meant to offend anyone (Turbo Buick people almost always get offended when someone tells them their car is worth less than what they think it is worth).

List follows below:

700 mile GN - $29,900 (Based on Kirban's recent sale)
1000 - 5000 mi - $22,000
6000 - 9000 mi - $20,000
10,000 - 15,000 mi - $14,000 - $18,000
16,000 - 19,000 mi - $13,000 - $16,000
20,000 - 29,000 mi - $13,000 - $15,000
30,000 - 40,000 mi - $10,000 - $12,000

These are the lowest #'s I have seen in the respective categories. Please feel free to chime in with what you are seeing out there.

Obviously modified cars differ greatly, but the above is for clean stockish type cars.

Car For Sale

When I got my loan for my '87 GN back at the end of May, the loan officer looked it up on some kind of online classic car site. She told me that an '87 GN with my mileage (59.5K) and in MINT condition booked at $29.3k. In "Average condition" it was like $16k (about what condition mine is in) and for a total pos that runs and drives with that mileage was worth $8k..

Going by what I've seen people on here and on ebay selling them for, that's prety accurate.

There's an older guy in my area who's the original owner of a t-top '87 GN with 43k miles that's ben repainted at some point, the trunk lid emblem's on the wrong side and he has some underhood chrome and interior gauges. He wants "$30k FIRM" for it.. It's been FOR SALE on and off for the past three years. I'd like to say with him being an older gentleman and being the original owner, that car was cared for through its 22 year life, but for some reason or another he LOVES to repeatedly rev it to red line almost everytme he pulls into the parking lot at the car show (stock exhaust)..then he shuts it off right away..:rolleyes:

In all honesty, I love the fact that these cars are valuable, sought after collector cars. But at the same time I could care less. I love the car for the car. :smile:

That older guy will be taking the car to his grave.

Below follow my findings based on what I have seen over the last few months. These are real sales and are not meant to offend anyone (Turbo Buick people almost always get offended when someone tells them their car is worth less than what they think it is worth).

List follows below:

700 mile GN - $29,900 (Based on Kirban's recent sale)
1000 - 5000 mi - $22,000
6000 - 9000 mi - $20,000
10,000 - 15,000 mi - $14,000 - $18,000
16,000 - 19,000 mi - $13,000 - $16,000
20,000 - 29,000 mi - $13,000 - $15,000
30,000 - 40,000 mi - $10,000 - $12,000

These are the lowest #'s I have seen in the respective categories. Please feel free to chime in with what you are seeing out there.

Obviously modified cars differ greatly, but the above is for clean stockish type cars.

I'm not offended, but that seems a bit low by ~$5K in most mileage categories except the 1st one, unless the seller is having financial trouble and needs to move the car quick. Could be good for a buyer in the right place at the right time though ;) :cool:

I don't usually have much faith in NADA other than using it to get a ballpark idea, but in this case the "New Gold Standard" isn't far from the upper limit (High Retail) listed here:

1987 Buick Regal 2 Door Coupe Grand National price report at NADAguides.com

With that in mind, I'll assume the other categories are representative of the current market as well.

General definitions of low, average and high retail are listed below the pricing, but they are just that (general) so they will have limitations and differ based on the specific car in question (GN, Jaguar, Cadillac, Ford Truck etc.)

For a Grand National, High Retail to me would be just like the Kirban car in top notch shape and desirably optioned with low mileage, original paint, most if not all of it's original parts, documentation, no mods etc. Average Retail may represent a mildly modified, clean, mostly complete, mid-mileage car. Low Retail would be useable as is but need attention and have higher mileage.

Since nothing is black and white there will be some gray area and price variability for examples that fall in between or outside these general guidelines.