New GN owner question,What do i have?

I would love to keep this setup, i guess im just wondering where to start. The guy told me the coil pack was not getting fire ,
1st main question Will the computer that i have work with this setup?
2nd question what differences in the harness besides electric fan?
Are the sensors different from 85-87?
Is my best bet to buy an 87 harness and start from there or do i even have 87 top end

My plan this weekend is to check the grounds and see if its getting fire and fuel.

You should get the 1987 engine wire harness as there are many differences between '84-5 and '86-7 sensors and other functions.

The electric fan hook-up is easy as it could be done with a separate harness. Other items you need are the '86-7 ECM and module/coil pack.

The early harness has many differences, like no air temp sensor circuit which is needed with the intercooled set-up.

It would be best if you found someone to help that is familiar with the intercooled configuration, especially the wiring.

Hmmm.. took a look.. interesting. Sounds like a wiring issue. Answering your questions yes you have 87 top end. Regards to wiring. Caspers makes a 86-87 harness for application if necessary. If your able to do wiring yourself varify igniton components are known good before you begin troubleshooting. Also these cars require tip top electrical systems to reach there full potential and legendary reputation. In regards to motor. 4.1 not bad @ all. Like recommended pull pan. See. What your working with. Lemme stop rambling. More photos would help to. Sweeeeeet ride. Btw also. Please do not butcher a T type or Grand National with an LS swap, our 50yr ol jeep motor is more than enough. As an official LSX swap Killer I will say. They make power but the look on peoples faces when they see our little V6:eek:

Spent a few minutes with her in the shop today , kinda hard when my 2 yr old wants to play with everything. General troubleshooting , it is not firing to the plugs, and the fuel pump didn't sound like it whined either. I will dig deeper tomorrow. Quick question that will keep me from crawling under , is the oil pan removablewith the engine in the car?

Last edited:
The LS wiring work would be no picnic either. I agree with the others. find a local expert and drop the oil pan and see if it has turbo parts in the lower end If it does, figure out the gremlins and button up the project and enjoy. If not, take it out look for an 86-86 turbo motor to put in it. I wouldn't mess up that nice GN with a LS. That would make it a red headed stepchild in the buick world.

Yes the pan comes out easily from below. Pull the converter dust shield (if it has one) and the crossover from the exhaust and your there.

I soo know what you mean by having the youngster around messing with everything.. jus learned to be that much more patient, now that she's 4 I put her to work. Pump not priming on key. Grab a multi meter see if your getting power to pump connector. Behind back bumper

Attachments

• IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 100
My buddy has my multimeter , i will get it tomorrow. I began checking a few things this afternoon , the fuses are good the crank sensor and ignition module are new , knowingly i still cant rule them out. There are 2 wires that showed hot with a basic test light with ignition on going to the ign module , two tan wires with black stripes. Fuel pump is working and has good fuel pressure , also sounds like a whining coming from the fuel rail/pressure regulator the whole time the ignition is on ,is this normal on these cars? I will get my meter tomorrow and check injector pulse. Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming!

Also grab a fuel pressure gauge. Connect to shrader valve on rail see of you have anything coming. Regards to noise. Hmmm cant call it. Once we know you got fuel delivery we can nail down igniton issue. Can you test coil pack, or have a known good laying around?

Already have a fuel pressure gauge ,looks good. I do hear the fuel pump now. Coil pack is new and the old one is in the trunk , dont know 100% if they are good.

There was a guy selling a complete engine harness in the for sale section the other day for ~250. The stock harness is really close to a plug/play deal.

I have a low mileage 87 harness im installing now. I have a few wires that i cannot find a place for mainly driver side valve cover / brake booster area. Can anyone supply pics?

Knock sensor yes, EGR no , Dont see onything on the master cylinder for anything to plug in. To be honest i dont see anything that looks like the egr valves ive seen.

The EGR plug goes into a box next to the EGR valve. If you have a chip that doesn't use the EGR just leave that one hanging. The intake looks so much better without all that crap on it.

One of the plugs with 4 prongs goes down to the transmission... I had a brain fart on that one once. ;) If you had a powermaster there is a connector for that otherwise it's left off. Just post pics of the ones you don't know where they go and this forum will straighten you out..

Looks like you have hydroboost brakes but couldn't tell for sure. If so then you won't need an electrical connector to it.

Yes it has the hydro boost brakes, is their 2 plugs that go to the power master or just 1? Yea , i didnt think the numbers should be in order so i researched it and used the same diagram. Thats what was wrote on it when i got it. This is one i cant figure out, it comes out about where the fuel injector harness plugs in kinda under the ignition module.

Attachments

• IMG_20140604_172406662[1].jpg
    IMG_20140604_172406662[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
This one comes out under the hydroboost and looks like it goes on the sensor on the valve cover in the background but it is about 2-3 inches from reaching. Was this mounted somewhere different on later cars?

Attachments

• IMG_20140604_172430655[1].jpg
    IMG_20140604_172430655[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71