New GN owner...problems

raysturbov6

Just bought my first 87 GN a 36k mile all original car. Goes well with my 70 stage1 GSX! The problem im having is that the car basically sat in storage for several winter months so im not sure if it just needs a good tune up or something elseis going on here. Sometimes under hard throttle there is aweird pop almost like it spools up and then pops or bangs under acceleration. Doenstt do it under normal acceleration, only under harder accereration when the pedal is mashed. Ive been told to replace the wires or even the coilpack. Any suggestions here?

check fuel pressure

sounds like your running out of fuel, if car has stock fuel pump, time to get a new HP fuel pump and a hot wire kit, a fuel regulator would help a lot, also check wastegate hoses, they could be cracked.

Ignition
Fuel
wastegate hoses

Buddy up with someone local and start looking things over.

Mine was doing the same thing several years back and it turned out to be the plug wires and the coil pack both. Just replacing one or the other only lessened the problem but it took both to make it totally go away.

Like GSandGN pointed out, it could also be fuel related, a lean pop. The fuel press should rise steady with along with the boost an equal amount. If it rises but drops off while you are still in the throttle then suspect the fuel pump (original ones are weak), fuel press reg leaking internally, or clogged fuel filter. You'll need to be able to see a fuel pressure guage while you're driving to see this.

Oh yeah! Wastegate hoses. A leaking vacuum line to the wastegate can cause overboost and a lean pop too.