New Fast XFI install, now runs crappy

Phoneguy

Cometic HG stress tester
Last month I installed a Turbonetics CPT66 BB( upgraded from a 9 month old TA49), new DP with external gate, Razors ALKY. The car was running pretty good for a stock converter. Absolutely NO KNOCK.I just installed a Fast XFI, and 72 lb injectors, gapped the plugs at a tight .032, set fuel pressure to 43 with line off, set TPS. The car wont idle smooth at all, even off-idle sucks. It has a dead spot in it.I have to keep my foot on the gas at a stoplight to keep it from dying. It seems to run ok at slight to moderate acceleration but at WOT the knock guage goes off the chart even with the ALKY turned up.
I am sending log files to Jack Cotton to review but it may take days to get an answer or any reprogramming done. Anyone have any ideas? More fuel pressure? Less fuel pressure? Wrong gap? Bad TPS? Bad WBO2?
Thanks
Bryan

Nope, it'll be up to your vendor to fix the issues. Only other option is read up on the instructions and learn to tune yourself.

I already figured that. Just didnt know if it was something that i set wrong.

Are all of the operating parameters set correctly in the XFI? For instance injector size, engine size, MAP sensor type (1-bar, 2-bar, 3-bar), etc.?

I wouldn't do any more WOT until this gets straightened out!

By the way, it is my opinion that tuning should be done by the user. Especially where the vendor is thousands of miles away, the user should have a fairly thorough understanding of how the system works. Vendor support is important, but mostly just to teach the user how to do the tuning. Just my opinion.

-Bob C.

By the way, it is my opinion that tuning should be done by the user. Especially where the vendor is thousands of miles away, the user should have a fairly thorough understanding of how the system works. Vendor support is important, but mostly just to teach the user how to do the tuning. Just my opinion.

-Bob C.

Good point. I believe this would help tremendously.

As far as what Phoneguy can do.....other than wait....is to figure out how to save his current tune and start experimenting... but there is many things to potentially cause an engine to idle rough... especially if you just plugged it in fired it up...

If you have no fault codes.... you could start by making sure the idle was set to the correct RPM in the ECM..... then tweaking the base VE table (lower left three of four cells.... on the bottom row or two....) to get the mixture at idle acceptable.....There are many other things that can effect the idle.... and I am only a beginning FAST tuner.... so I am not going to be loads of help....

HTH

Are all of the operating parameters set correctly in the XFI? For instance injector size, engine size, MAP sensor type (1-bar, 2-bar, 3-bar), etc.?

I wouldn't do any more WOT until this gets straightened out!

-Bob C.

Bob, all of the parameters are set.
NO MORE WOT for me.
I agree with you about the tuning, I just need to get a good grasp on the XFI software( RTFM ). I will go read how to save the current settings and start messing with it, as long as its saved I can always go back to it.

Jack may not be home from Columbus yet, I m sure he will take careof it for you.

I figured he wouldnt be back for a couple days. I know he will take care of it, I am not worried about that at all. I was just wondering if it was something that I set incorrectly,( ie, plug gap...)

Thanks
Bryan

I'm home!!! Give me a call at the shop... we'll get ya fixed right up..... I'll be in as soon as I shake the sleep out of my eyeballs and shower up..

MANY Thanks to Jack Cotton!!!!!! I called Jack this morning while I was at work, I talked to him for a few minutes and explained the issues. He said to call him when I got home and was at the computer in the car. When I got home it was 7:00 pm his time, I expected not to get him, guess who answered on the first ring...
After some basic( to him ) adjustments and about 45 minutes on the phone for him to let me know the basics of adjustments the car was running much better. He told me to go out and play and log some " blasts ". Also said that if I ran in to ANY problems to call him back on his cell !!! I played around with it some more and made some improvements myself to clean up the idle and off-idle, played with the ALKY settings some and the car is running very good, not great yet but I will keep on tweaking!!! AWESOME customer service and a great guy.
Thanks Jack

Bryan

Update.
I sent jack a copy of my log and my program. Less than ten minutes later he had a new program sent to me. The car is running strong but is still very rich on the upper end(TOO MUCH ALKY, I am working on that a little at a time).I loaded the new program and went to play. First WOT I blew the IC hose off at the TB. I limped the car back home to fix and while I am under the hood Jack calls to see how its running!!! Fixed and went to play again...POOF again.
I am 1 hour behind Jack, and by the time I fixed not one but two IC hoses that blew off, it was 11 pm his time. I have sent two more log files to him so he can decipher what is going on.
On another note, I did get to waste a mustang tonight while I was out.Thanks Jack:D

Bryan

Bryan..... I cleaned it up for ya..... little at a time... I was thinking...... didn't you put a double pumper in there... if so, we may disconnect the second pump untill you upgrade the rest of the combo.... let me know call me today.. I'll be at the track tuning a customer.... he ran his f1st 8 second pass last nite.... 8.88 with a 6, gotta make sure he doesn't go faster than me ;) 8.88 with a 3...... actually, I'm amazed with a gt42 turbo.... thats got to be about it...

Jack is the man.

Ive bought from the "other" promonent FAST dealer and Jack went above and beyond what he did by calling and making sure I was satisfied and that everything was working correctly.

Cannot say enough good about Jack Cotton:D

wow thats great to hear jack went out of his way for you. Cant wait to save up for a XFI. Maybe by the end of the year.

Bryan..... I cleaned it up for ya..... little at a time... I was thinking...... didn't you put a double pumper in there... if so, we may disconnect the second pump untill you upgrade the rest of the combo.... let me know call me today.. I'll be at the track tuning a customer.... he ran his f1st 8 second pass last nite.... 8.88 with a 6, gotta make sure he doesn't go faster than me ;) 8.88 with a 3...... actually, I'm amazed with a gt42 turbo.... thats got to be about it...

Jack, no double pumper, Walbro 340 hotwired. I am putting a new T-stat in today. Will clean out the IC and load your new program. Iam going to play with the ALKY settings as I think I am spraying too much causing the richening in the upper end. Thanks Jack.

Bryan

wow thats great to hear jack went out of his way for you. Cant wait to save up for a XFI. Maybe by the end of the year.

Jack Cotton genuinely gives a **** about how your car runs. He is awesome.

Bryan

Jack, no double pumper, Walbro 340 hotwired. I am putting a new T-stat in today. Will clean out the IC and load your new program. Iam going to play with the ALKY settings as I think I am spraying too much causing the richening in the upper end. Thanks Jack.

Bryan

Watch your knock.. spray so you dont have any knock. At that point trim your VE tables.. badabing..

Julio

Watch your knock.. spray so you dont have any knock. At that point trim your VE tables.. badabing..

Julio

The Gen 7 has a really neat feature called negative nitrous fueling. While the name sounds a little scary, the idea of it is pretty cool. When a nitrous stage is activated, you have the "negative" option which will subtract, rather than add, a specified mass of fuel from the overall fuel calculation. The idea is that you can activate an alky system, spray in XXX lb/hr of alky, and simultaneously remove that same mass of fuel from the main supply. The result is that rather than adding alky, you replace some portion of gas with alky. It seemed to be a nice clean way to realize the positive effects of spraying alky into the airstream without an associated overly-rich condition.

Any thoughts?