New engine rebuild average cost?

5ltretr said:
Whats the cost in doing an engine rebuild for an 87 GN??

Nothing fancy
Depends.
Not trying to be an "**** but we really need to define "fancy".
Are you talking complete rebuild (heads, block etc) 0f just, shortblock, new parts, etc.

Nothing fancy

Hot tank block, Hone cylinders, polish (not cut) crank, machine the rods and resize, new OEM-style pistons, new rings, new bearings (cam and crank), new stock grind cam, new stock lifters, gaskets all around, new oil pump (kept old front cover), resurface the heads, paint block, new arp head bolts.

About $1000-$1100 in parts and machinist labor. I did all reassembly myself.

like if i brought my car to a GN shop and said give me a rebuild , i dont want to do any of the work no garage, i would like a high 11-12 second build

So take my $1100, add a few hours labor on the front end and back end for engine removal and replacement. Then a few more hours for assembly.

Its easy to see how it would be in the $2k range with all the labor and nothing fancy.

You don't need anything fancy to go 11-12 second range.

You probably ought to call your local GN shop and just ask them, since they will be doing the work.

Denis is probly correct if it is only engine rebuild, but to go into the 11's there are some basic items that would need to be upgraded, especially the fuel system. you don't show a sig. so it is difficult to say. the basic upgrades would have to be the fuel sys., free up the breathing, chip and injectors and a larger turbo to stay away from radical tunes. don't forget the instruments for tuning, if you don't have them or can borrow them, these will raise the cost up another 1k-1500. you would be able to save a lot by purchasing the upgrades off of the "for sale" section. hope this helps to give you a ballpark figure. :smile:

Actually it might be in the high $2k range since my heads were already rebuilt and I didn't have to touch them except for a light resurface. So add more to account for the heads being rebuilt.

hahahahahahahahaha!!!! 2K for dropping your car off and having someone rebuild the motor AND do all the labor R&R'n it :rolleyes: :eek: you guy's should open your own shop :eek: hey ya did bring a smile to my face :p

Grumpy said:
hahahahahahahahaha!!!! 2K for dropping your car off and having someone rebuild the motor AND do all the labor R&R'n it :rolleyes: :eek: you guy's should open your own shop :eek: hey ya did bring a smile to my face :p

Oh yeah I forgot to add the G R U M P Y premium 100% upcharge line item. Things get a lot more expensive as you move northeast from Lexington to Andover. :biggrin: By the way, he doesnt offer a warranty or 24 hour support either!! :biggrin: ;)

Probably more in the area of $2500-$3500 if you re lucky and not sure about removal and reinstall-maybe another $500.

DMan said:
Oh yeah I forgot to add the G R U M P Y premium 100% upcharge line item. Things get a lot more expensive as you move northeast from Lexington to Andover. :biggrin: By the way, he doesnt offer a warranty or 24 hour support either!! :biggrin: ;)

$2k would barely cover parts ...wellll unless ya get an "AutoZone" special ... oh I get $800 on up for an R&R .. IF ya have a lot of non stock junk .. the price goes UP . Guess you should open your own shop !!! You would make a KILLING !!! :rolleyes:

49-blues said:
Probably more in the area of $2500-$3500 if you re lucky and not sure about removal and reinstall-maybe another $500.

You're warming up now, that's gettin there. Grump is pretty accurate as well. Depending on what a customer wants, price will vary. Labor in my shop is usually around 3 full days of work, 8hrs a day, will run around 1500.00. That is for the R$R, the $2500 and up for the motor is from my engine builder\machine shop. Spending $4000.00 is not out of line for a professional job, done right, for a basic rebuild. :cool:

JCotton said:
.......... Spending $4000.00 is not out of line for a professional job, done right, for a basic rebuild.

I am FAAAAR from an expert, but was thinking the same ........

the internal integrity of your engine can have surprisingly litte bearing upon an engine's performance, especially regards a turbo engine where you have large excesses of air pumping capability.
I'm not talking about engine longevity here, just speaking strictly to the performance aspects, that's all.
My point is, if your engine specs ok (compression check, oil pressure?), then, for your goal, you may not even need a rebuild! Or, maybe not a rebuild as comprehensive as Dman, where a cam lobe went south and did further damage.
Off topic: My take on outsourcing engine work is the same as for any other business: You loose oversight, accountability and control of the product -do you work as hard on your neighbors project as you do on your own?
And, of course, ya gotta put up the labor bucks.
So, do your "homework", as they say. Hopefully, you get what you want.

I more of a 'DIY' guy than 'hire an expert' guy. Thats part of the enjoyment for me, and I can keep costs down.

But I'll be the first to admit things have gone terribly wrong with both DIY and Expert approaches for me in the past. Would like to forget about those. Yeesh. :redface:

Do your homework as steve suggests! Knowledge is (horse)power.

My motor is in the shop a right now as I type, doing a motor right will NOT be inexpensive. I'm going to have 2K in machining and assembly alone, that includes; balance, machine work, head work, assembly and girdle installation. beside that I probebly have almost 3K in pistons, crank, cam, heads, fasteners, ect. My advice is, do it once do it right and forget about it. :cool:

Five or six grand got me a complete long block, wisecos, align honed billet mains all the way around, a 210/210 billet roller cam, 109 block, balancer to the flywheel. Add another grand in head work/valves/springs/headgaskets/porting. All I had to do was drop on the intake/fuel/accessories and slide it in the car.

$2500-$5000 That's a typical range. I do it myself in a few of days and spend around $500, that's as long as everything's ok. In matter of fact, I will be doing mine in a couple of months. Make sure you get to see your old parts, some will charge you for parts not changed...just my experience.

Jack (or somebody else),

What a "stock type" rebuild of a GN 200-4R going for these days with and without R&R?

Thanks,
Eric.

i would have to say to keep the costs down ,have enjoyment of doing alot of the work yourself and still keep good quality control of the rebuild would be to remove and replace the engine youself,strip it down to the short block and send it out for the rebuild, then reinstall the heads and intake,exhaust etc yourself and i think you would get the most satisfaction and be cost effective at the same time. this is the way ive been doing it.spend your money on the good quality upgrades and do alot of the work yourself to assure it gets done right.