New engine rebuild average cost?

ecna said:
Jack (or somebody else),

What a "stock type" rebuild of a GN 200-4R going for these days with and without R&R?

Thanks,
Eric.
Eric,

Cost is around $1000 for the trans rebuild, plus convertor, we usually get $200 R$R plus fluids...

after reading gm hightech about the cotton 10 sec tr buildup.

I'm seeing theres a lot going on that I dont know about, honestly if the shop is doing the machining. I think this task would be difficult for a novice to do....

the most important part is the tuning after everything gets installed, correct?

The best thing to do is have a reputable Turbo Buick engine builder build the engine. A novice could probably do the engine install if you have access to the tools needed.

Then if you still have a stock ECM, get with the chip experts on this board. Tuning should be the easy part as long as you have a scan tool and the supporting parts for your buildup. Most chips are pretty much right on anyway. At least i have found it to be that way.

49-blues said:
i would have to say to keep the costs down ,have enjoyment of doing alot of the work yourself and still keep good quality control of the rebuild would be to remove and replace the engine youself,strip it down to the short block and send it out for the rebuild, then reinstall the heads and intake,exhaust etc yourself and i think you would get the most satisfaction and be cost effective at the same time. this is the way ive been doing it.spend your money on the good quality upgrades and do alot of the work yourself to assure it gets done right.

I agree. The way I did it was similar, but I purchased the built shortblock. I enjoyed swapping the blocks myself because I learned the car. By installing the new block, you will always have a mental picture of how things should go so if you ever have to replace any components around the engine, it will be much easier.

The great thing is, I belong to many boards(Mustang, LS1, Supra, etc) but the Turbobuick boards probably have the most knowledgable people I have ever seen about the cars they own. Most people buy a performance car and do some work, but the guys here do alot of work themselves from shocks to engine rebuilding and are kind enough to share great information to save you some headaches. There are some small disagreements here and there, but what family doesn't argue? :)