new dyno numbers

Your injector duty cycle indicates a much higher horsepower #.

take it to the track and I bet you car will run ALOT better than what a 412hp should run.

I give put zero faith in the dyno #s you gave.

FWIW, I think the hp numbers you got are right in the ballpark you'd expect to see at 20 psi boost. But, as others have advised, I would triple check your fuel system, I really wouldn't expect you to be running out of injector there. Maybe your fuel pressure is a low? Try another gauge, I trusted a bad gauge for a couple of years before I figured it out.

John

Originally posted by JDEstill
FWIW, I think the hp numbers you got are right in the ballpark you'd expect to see at 20 psi boost. But, as others have advised, I would triple check your fuel system, I really wouldn't expect you to be running out of injector there. Maybe your fuel pressure is a low? Try another gauge, I trusted a bad gauge for a couple of years before I figured it out.

John

with heads that flow ~250cfm and a T70 turbo!!!! at that boost!!

he should be closer to 550 not 400.

Originally posted by Grandnat
with heads that flow ~250cfm and a T70 turbo!!!! at that boost!!

he should be closer to 550 not 400.

RWHP at 20 psi? Yeah, I think what he saw is reasonable. 550 seems like a heck of a stretch to me, not that I am really in a position to know. Just another internet expert over here :)

John

Originally posted by JDEstill
RWHP at 20 psi? Yeah, I think what he saw is reasonable. 550 seems like a heck of a stretch to me, not that I am really in a position to know. Just another internet expert over here :)

John

Ok then, you tell me!...

I have heads that flow 217cfm, 212/212 flat tappet cam, PT54 turbo and with 20 psi and 24degrees of timing I run 127mph in the 1/4 and weigh 3700#+

I think even an internet expert would agree that is FAR more than 414rwhp.

do you still think 414hp is remotely close to "Good"?

I am running almost identicle boost and timing.

he has much bigger heads, cam, and turbo.... he should make a good bit more than I do.

I do not think we are doing him any favores by telling him he makes "good numbers" when he needs to be figuring out why the numbers are off.

like I said he needs to take it to the track, the dyno just make be very pessimistic.

I still think the dyno results were good for a very conservitive tune! C-16 is great BUT it only gives you the potential for big power cuz it allows high timing & boost! It may have hurt a little with 23 deg./20 psi! The real proof will be at the strip ( and how hard you push the tune,how well you can hook up, how much impressive numbers vs. longevity matters, yak,yak!).

Jeremy, I was wondering what your EGT's were on the dyno runs and what the actual A/F ratio or O2 numbers were. I see you had 11.5 set but could it have been richer than that? I've never used a eng. mgt. sys., just the factory ECM. Also what have you done bottom end wise on your motor?

I'm sure that someone might have mentioned this, but I believe the transmission is eating the power. If you are running out of injector(72 lb) with only 414 rwhp, power is definitely lost between the engine and the wheels. A badly slipping converter not designed to handle the increased power will certainly kill the power to the wheels.

414 rwhp is easily supported by 50 lb inj. so that's not your problem. Also with 20 psi, the power should be much higher because those heads are flowing really well and i's probably equivalent to over 25 psi on stock ported heads.

Chances are the engine power is awesome, but the drivetrain is killing it.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were running 65 lb inj.s. Still, should be more than enough to handle 414 rwhp so I still say it's the converter and/or trans.

well, i made some adjustments. i turned then FP up from 43psi to 48 psi just to see what it would do. i also trimmed up the fuel map to take all the hi and low spots out. i made a blast down the street. i adjusted the VE map to where it was 11.5 throughout the rpm range under boost. boost was still 20psi. the duty cycle dropped from ~98% to around 70%. this car has to be making more than 412 hp. i did a burnt out on my 28x11.5 et streets before i launched the car on about 2-3psi of boost. it broke the tires loose and hazed them for a good 100ft. i know this isnt exactly scientific. but that is the strongest the car has ever felt. i am going to try to tune it a little more on the street that way i am closer when we go to the track or dyno again. as far as the convertor or trans is concerned... it is a N code from CPT transmissions and the trans is fresh. i think i just didnt have the tune very close or very aggressive. anyway... food for thought. thanks jeremy

I dont know if this will help at all , My buddy has ported GN1s Ported , TE 60 (20psi), PTE FM , Comp roller 212 i think split with something 206 maybe. He is running 55s with the stock computer .9 inch non lock 3500 stall and went 11flat @124 i saw this run and a few other passes same times so i think you should get alot more from your combo . a full weight car to mph 124 has got to be 500+ on the wheels . I know this isnt exactly scientific but considering his small TE60 and smaller cam you should be faster . Something is going on .

It sounds like you're doing the right thing...tuning. As others have said, you've got a LOT more HP hidden in your motor. Here's my set up:

Stock bottom end, bored .020 over, J&E pistons, GN1 unported heads, TE44, FMIC, 42.5 lb injectors (yes, that's right), ATR RP314 cam, modified stock convertor, THDP,

I sold this car to a guy in Arkansas, (now buying it back!) and as soon as he got it, he had it dynoed at the tune that I had done on it: street chip (don't know the timing deg.), 18 psi boost, 96 octane. And with the cut out open it made: 395 HP; 411 torque.

And with a better tune, there's lots more HP. It goes without saying that there's tons more HP with more octane, boost and timing.

I found this thread because the guy who's selling my car back to me (I moved to France for a few months, now I'm back, and need my GN!) had also purchased the Big Stuff 3 engine management system (not yet installed). I'm trying to determine if it's worth buying from him. I'd love more input from others with the BS3 (I don't much care for the "BS" connotation) system.

dont mean to butt in, but reading made me think of a question...how much hosepower can 50's handle?

Originally posted by 87grandnat
dont mean to butt in, but reading made me think of a question...how much hosepower can 50's handle?

Here's a chart: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/lubrant.html

As an example, a 50 lb injector at 90% DC in a 3600 lb car will equates to about 531 hp. I'm not sure how the vehicle's weight influences the hp in that chart though. The only thing I can think of is that they're saying that if you want to do an 11.03 at 124 in a 3600 lb car, you'll need that much hp.

Looks like low 10's are possible with an alky kit and 50's.

If you get 20% fuel replacement from the alky as a 7th injector.. you'd be covered till 10.05 at 136 using this chart.

I ran 123 at 75% DC with 50's FWIW

Tho a lot of it depends on static fuel pressure, and how much fuel is being dropped in. So the chart is close.

Originally posted by jpwalt1987
well gang i went to the dyno here in town on friday. this is the first time to really get familiar with the set up on my car and the BS3. my car put down 412HP and 505lb/ft of torque. this was on 20psi boost, 23* timing, C-16 fuel, 11.5 AFR running out of injector. the 65's were at 98% DC. heres the combo... gn1s ported(249cfm in 219cfm ex ) 224hyd roller cam 560lift, pt70,3in DP and exhaust, Ncode,PTE FM... this is a load cell dyno so the HP numbers are down abit from a Dyojet but with a 25% correction for driveline loss it still comes to 515 at the fly. time to get some 83's i dont think that the 72's i have are even worth installing. tell me what you guys think. i still havent made it out to the track so this is all i have for now. jeremy

Somethings wrong here pokey.... 412 hp, I'll be generous and say you're making 500 flywheel. 50# injectors would only be running at 80%. Theres something not right in your car man. Hell, 600hp would only be running 65's at ~75-80%.. real roughly anyway

Either your car isnt running efficiently, or something is making it burn more fuel than it should be...fuel press prob, whatever

well i pulled the pan on the trans the other day and there was a good bit of clutch material in there. more than there should be on a trans that has less than 200 miles. i rebuilt the trans myself with an old art carr kit my dad had bought a few years ago. everything is to spec but i think i am driving through it again. a freind of mine has a 2004R that is fresh from Mike Kurtz that he has offered to let me try to see the difference. but also i have a BOP th-400 that needs to be torn down and inspected so that may go in there. i hate to do that though as i just got this N
code convertor. still havent made it back to the dyno or to the track. oh yeah and i went ahead and put the 72's in there and kept fuel pressure at 48. the duty cycle at 20-23psi is down in the 50- 60% range give or take a little. just an update. jeremy

ps. what kind of convertor for a 400 are people using(brand/stall, price) i really want to launch this thing on about 15-18 psi of boost with a transbrake!!!!