New Converter Log attached (Too Tight)

Sounds like you have an external gate, maybe the gate is stuck open? Sounds like an open wastegate scenario to me if the stall is coming up to 3200 at 0-1 psi since that's the only other thing that changed.

Im using speed density. My turbo exhaust housing is the big housing. Im turning the akly off tonight. Then maybe add a little timing. Im using the gate only to control boost. The manual boost controller won't hold the boost back. Even with the Wastegate connected straight to the turbo housing its still creeping.

blackgn1 said:
Im using speed density. My turbo exhaust housing is the big housing. Im turning the akly off tonight. Then maybe add a little timing. Im using the gate only to control boost. The manual boost controller won't hold the boost back. Even with the Wastegate connected straight to the turbo housing its still creeping.

Unless you're looking to trap over 135mph there isn't much in a larger ex housing. It shouldn't hurt it that much but no need to run a larger a/r then needed

Here's a new run. I have nowhere to really test and tune. Too much traffic. This is a short, short log. Higher timing and no alky. She's still not picking up. I'm sure boost is affecting the tune.

Attachments

• highertiming.zip
    23.1 KB · Views: 76
Looks like all the basics are covered here from the previous posts.

If the converter is seeing 3200 at 0psi it should come in very fast. Topping out at 4900 rpm is showing that the converter is fully coupled at this point and your power is also topped out so the engine isn't able to over come the coupling of the converter. More boost or a better tune will over come this.

A very loose converter will feel good to the driver seat but not do much at the track. The opposite is true for a tighter converter. Once everything is right this 9.5 will spool as fast as the loose 10" but run much better at the track. Tune plays a huge roll in how it will perform. If you see it's still to tight and would prefer it to be looser, send it back to me and I'll take care of it. This is the purpose of a free restall. If it doesn't work out how the customer wants, I'll fix it so it does.

Here's a 1/8 run last fall. Old 10" PTC Converter

Attachments

• hunt2.zip
    32.6 KB · Views: 53
Hey Dusty I'm at low boost. Maybe 15lbs. The new downpipe added to this issue I'm sure. Thinking I need to go back to last years setup. I doubt the car going to do much at 15lbs. I have no boost control so I'm pissing in the wind.

I'm surprised it even went to 4900 at 15psi unless youre running a short tire.

Boost is coming up. Just slowly. I bypassed the manual boost controller because it wants to creep. When it gets to 22lbs and still climbing I let out. I'm also suprised to see any rpm's with this low boost. I'm between a rock and a hard place. Same old story. Boost control. Thought the external gate would finally fix that. No dice!!! I'm trying to tune a car at 15lbs of boost. There's no future there!!!

28" tire. With the boost controller hooked up and fully open the boost doesn't stop building. I don't even know what spring is in the gate but when it gets to 22lbs somethings not working. I feel like a noobie!!!

Very possible. The car is just plain slow. Even when fist laying in the throttle everythings in slow motion. I have check for exhaust leaks and I'm out in the garage lowering the fuel pressure a tad. I'm hoping this thread helps people. I can't say it's converter. The 10" and 9.5 are forsure a day and night difference. I wanted to harness the power. I have.:D Just need to see where it went and see what happens. I prob need to start a different thread to keep boost and downpipe out. This needs to be about the converter and not other issues. What can I say. The 9.5 couples. There is no doubt.

On your old log with the old converter... looks like 3500-3600 at 0-1 psi.... so it is definately more loose than the converter you have now.

Not that it matters now.... but that log had wideband AFR in the 7's and 8's during the run....

Your higher timing run the stall was back down in the 2700-2800 range at 0-1 psi. What is bothering me is the AFR is down in the low 9's during spoolup..... this is not good...... it would even be more rich with the alky spraying. The AFR during spoolup needs much improvement IMHO to make an accurate opinion on what you have.....

Yes I have a update. Converter is working great. Dusty got it where it needed to be from day one. Took the external gate downpipe off and the TH back on. There was a night and day difference. Car hits hard now. Boost comes in fast. Downpipe was the only problem. The 9.5 converter pulls much harder and longer than the 10". I should have track slips to show the difference soon. I'm thinking a 1/8 mile 6.90 on the first pass.

Excellent! I like a story with a happy ending! Good Luck at the track. I'm intersted in the difference, just got a Dusty's converter ready to install. :)

Great news. Glad you found it.

These converters spool very well. So far I have not had a single converter in which the rpm drop was proper at the gear change that did not spool very well. If the rpm drop is right and the converter will not spool, it almost always goes back to an issue in the tune somehow. In this case it was lack of boost rise.