New Camaro Guys ??'s

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
I am "thinking" about getting a new gen Camaro SS for the wife and I a weekend car:eek: Any particular year or anything to look out for? To keep it close to home, we are looking black on black!

I have one of the early production 2010 models and took delivery of it in September of 2009. From what I understand, the early production 2SS models like mine didn't have the back-up warning option/sensors in the rear bumper like the later ones. The early production models had issues with the baffles in the exhaust coming lose and rattling and unbearable. My OEM replacement under there GM service bulletin is starting to rattle. They eliminated side chicklets on the lower fender on the later production models as well as the GM performance plaque under the hood. the The 2011 models came standard with the HUD on the 2SS. If you start playing with it you will find wheel hop to be an issue and will eventually break an half shaft like I did, at least the stick cars are more prone to wheel hop. The factory posi sucks really bad and needs to be upgraded. I did mine with Jennety's kit.
Other than that it is a fun car.
Allan G.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here are a few things I can say after a two different test drives.

Early model steering wheels were very awkward and too deep for my tastes. I think they changed the steering wheel design in "12 or "13 because of complaints. I also did not care for the dash layout. I understand the retro / "69 Camaro dash throw back design, but it's very different than what we are all used to. Next, the door window sills are way to high for comfortable arm on the sill cruising. I found it very hard to see out of, on both test drives. IE: seeing around the A pillar and C pillars and exactly where the bumpers/fenders were in relation to other cars. I first drove a V6 RS, then later a 2SS. Both times I was worried about negotiating through a tight dealership car lot. Lastly, they are very heavy cars for the HP they have, so power to weight ratio is pretty bad compared to the Camaros' competition. All of those things combined, I could not see trading my GTO for one. I eventually fell for the Coyote motors' tremendous potential and bang for the buck factor. In closing, even though it's a Mustang, definitely test drive an "11-"14 automatic 5.0 before buying the Camaro.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

I sat in one for long time at a dealership. I found the same issues with lines of sight and the door height. I'm 5'8" and my friend that works for the dealer is 6'. Both of us can't see out the car with any confidence. After trying the Camaro I get in a Vette. Now that fit me great. I could see out of it fine and reach all the controls easily.

Thanks for the replies! Patrick I like the ponies but I ain't paying that much for a Ford.... I love my GM products!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Check out the Chevrolet SS. I've seen the PPV version and it was sharp.

love the 2014 1LE SS and the new 2014 z/28. eyeballin the 1LE hard. I own a black stroked & supercharged 69 z/28 that sleeps next to my 87 GN and love it. life is so good!

If you can fit comfortably I say do it. They're great cars. My buddy picked up a ZL1 a few months ago and loves it. I think as far as reliability all the LSx motors have been pretty great for years.

I am "thinking" about getting a new gen Camaro SS for the wife and I a weekend car:eek: Any particular year or anything to look out for? To keep it close to home, we are looking black on black!

You hate your wife that much;) Buy her a convertible Mustang, lighter, stronger, faster:p

I drove a rental. B pillar is a horrible blind spot. I have nother opinion but for me thats turn off enough

I rented one for 5 days on a trip the Las Vegas and drove it out to the Grand Canyon and back. I really liked the car to drive. Reasonably smooth, comfortable drive and I didn't find the visibility much worse than my '12 Infiniti G37 sedan. Most newer vehicles have terrible visibility around the A pillar. My G37 and my wife's SUV are no different. The Grand National is an absolute pleasure to drive visibilty wise compared to any new car. The interior is a bit low rent looking with the abundance of hard plastic on the dash and the door panels, but I liked the gauges. The HVAC controls are a funky design and take a bit to get used to.
To sum it up, though, I would still own one and I'm seriously considering one in the future.
P.s. the trunk opening is pretty small, but the trunk itself is a good size, and the back seat is useless, but it's a Camaro.

Had one since 2009: www.bummlbe.com

Rear view from the back window is very restrictive, and head room is a problem, especially with a sun roof.

Other than that, great car.

Shane, I would tell you to rent one for a couple of weeks first...I think you will find that it sits pretty low and will be a pain in the ass to get out of it.

Bryan

I am loosing weight. I am a big man though. I thought they were more roomy than what it sounds. Renting one may be in my future! Thanks everyone!

I am loosing weight. I am a big man though. I thought they were more roomy than what it sounds. Renting one may be in my future! Thanks everyone!