new cam sensor installed CORRECTLY runs but not good

Does it matter where the wires on the cap are after you set the voltage change by rotating the body? I have seen pictures with the wires about 4:00 and mine are about 8:00 from the front of the car.

No, it doesn't matter.... :) Just like setting a distributer.... you can put rotor (window) anywhere you want as long as the body is rotated to the right spot relative to the rotor/window..... (with #1 at the proper 25 deg atdc) My wires are about 6:00.... :wink:

Back in my day, we used to have these things called voltmeters.

Yeah me too. Still used it up until about 2 mos. ago. I probed mine so many times over the years i broke the wire at the connector pin and had an intermittent open circuit that was a bastard to find. It showed voltage when probed but when i removed the probe it opened the circuit and wouldnt pulse the injectors:eek:.

Nope..

"I'm sure Grumpy will be along soon to tell us how he use to have to stand in front of his car and crank it by hand to get it started"
He may be, but it's waaay past his bed time.
9PM, a slug of gout medicine, a swig of Hadacol, and he's done for!:eek:

Hand crank... ALWAYS keep your thumb on the same side of the crank handle as your hand. That way, if/when it backfires, it won't break it!:D
How's that for some trivia from a young guy???:rolleyes::cool:
Actually, my memory is pretty good. I can remember back going to a party w/ my dad, and coming home w/ my mom....:tongue:

well i have a voltmeter how do you set it with that?

HOW!!!!

well heres where you go to the list of people i could care less about your problems and why people dont wont to be bothered with you since you dont listen (read)

I told you where to go on 9-11-09 (12 days ago) on this thread which you started back when your problems started ..
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/297134-cam-sensor-bad.html#post2298028

check the link in my post :cool: http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm , if you cant figure it out step away from cars

oh and art btw the sensor can be set witout any tool and it wont be a guess,
with crank at 25atdc point dot in cam gear at pass fender and drop in sensor
align the stake tab on rotor with the tab on the sensor body that is used to orient the cap, not much different then with a dist when you set stake marked the dist base and the manifold and made a magic marker under cap for rotor position for the #1 before disassembly and upon reassembly you knew you were god to go fire it up on first crank

doubt me , set your balancer to 25 atdc ,set sensor up using your caspers tool or voltmeter and then remove the cap , youll see im correct , im certain thats the way gm set them up in production
and unlike a dist the cam sensor isnt so critical if its off a few degrees

Yes...

And for the record... "Back in my day" we used carburetors, distributors, points & condensors. A Dwell meter was always in my toolbox... because setting the points with a pack of matches just wasn't very reliable. :D

;)

oh nice! take a shot at the B4B boys!

LOL

;)A.j

oh yea and a dwell meter doesnt set point gap!

J/K:biggrin:

oh and art btw the sensor can be set witout any tool and it wont be a guess,
with crank at 25atdc point dot in cam gear at pass fender and drop in sensor
align the stake tab on rotor with the tab on the sensor body that is used to orient the cap, not much different then with a dist when you set stake marked the dist base and the manifold and made a magic marker under cap for rotor position for the #1 before disassembly and upon reassembly you knew you were god to go fire it up on first crank

doubt me , set your balancer to 25 atdc ,set sensor up using your caspers tool or voltmeter and then remove the cap , youll see im correct , im certain thats the way gm set them up in production
and unlike a dist the cam sensor isnt so critical if its off a few degrees

I don't doubt the procedure Paul... I doubt the thread starters ability... and just figured he'd have alot easier time with the Casper cam tool. I've used the volt meter in the past... and just thought the easiest way to do it was doing it Caspers way. :wink:

caspers is the easy way because you dont need to remove the cap to drop a sensor in and set it properly , the voltmeter does same as caspers tool and i recommended either to him many days ago with link provided ,

apparently he cant read or search , the search works (try using the advanced option menu) and theres probably a couple hunded threads on this board alone just on setting cam sensor so its not like its news

Ok. Now I am paranoid my cam sensor is 180 degrees out. :rolleyes:

Here is a picture of my cam sensor with the engine at TDC compression.
It looks right to me with the window aligned with the locator on the shaft but I want the opinion of the experts. :cool:

Please let me know if this is right.

By the way, I didn't know the car would run for 3-4 seconds on five cylinders with the computer unplugged. :eek: Just can't keep these cars down!!!! ;)

Attachments

• My_Cam_Sensor_@_TDC_09-24-09.jpg
    My_Cam_Sensor_@_TDC_09-24-09.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 690
no one ON HERE CAN TELL YOU IF IT IS RIGHT by looking at that picture without knowing if you are at 25 ATDC and if you have a stock GM cap OR caspers cap.. So do you have a casper's cap or not????? Casper's cap has a red light on it and the wire scome out of the top of the cap .... Stock GM wires come out of the side of the cap..

Stock cap and the engine was at TDC when I took the picture.

I guess the question is at TDC should the window be lined up with the cap locator notch or 180 away?

It makes it real tough to help if you don't answer the questions.........I think I should let someone else chime in as I do not seem to doing you any good.... PS you don't SET anything at TDC.......

Good Luck

And..

It makes it real tough to help if you don't answer the questions.........I think I should let someone else chime in as I do not seem to doing you any good.... PS you don't SET anything at TDC.......

Good Luck

Reference: posts 17, 33,37,
you shouldn't hijack someone elses thread...;)