New best 10.67 on 93 octane

toomanymodz

Here are a couple of time slips. These show my best 60ft and worst 60ft for the day. I drove to the track and the first pass was a 10.74, followed by a 10.71, then the best of 10.67. I made one more pass and did another 10.71 pass. VERY consistent. The best mod by far was installing a Bailey's 2-Step. I just stage and mash the gas pedal. Yellows come down and I release the brake as usual. I set the launch RPMs to 3200, which gave me around 8 or 9 psi at the line. 275 Nitto's, QA1 shocks and HR rear bar. Very smooth and straight launches. I could have launched harder but I don't want to twist the car (no cage).

Boost was set to 23 psi, and timing was 22 degrees. Fuel was 93 octane with a can of Boostane fuel additive. This engine still has a gremlin that I have yet to chase down. It starts to break up slightly above 5200 RPM. I had the same problem last year when I tried to run race gas and higher boost. I'm not sure if it's the spark plugs that don't like the higher boost levels, or perhaps a valve spring issue. Plugs are Autolite 103. Valve springs are PAC 1201.

timeslips.jpg

Nice to have 10 sec power on pump gas. I always carry a spare set of new plugs to throw in at the track just to help rule out one possibility that you experienced.

Looking at TR6 in off season and wondered how you staged without boost running away.

Thanks guys. I just bought some Autolite AR103 racing plugs that have the cut-back electrode. I gapped them at .025 and will see how it goes.

that plug at 25 will support more boost,congrats on your passes and I love that wrinkle;)

toomany, I was wondering why you went with the AR103's??? I haven't heard about that plug before, and wondering on how it worked for you... I know you and myself were fighting the same problem for a while, the breaking up at 5200 or 5500... I went with a better spring and shifts 5800 pretty easy now... I would love to hear the results you had? AL

toomany, I was wondering why you went with the AR103's??? I haven't heard about that plug before, and wondering on how it worked for you... I know you and myself were fighting the same problem for a while, the breaking up at 5200 or 5500... I went with a better spring and shifts 5800 pretty easy now... I would love to hear the results you had? AL
The problem was two-fold. First the RPM limit at 5500 got fixed by changing the valve springs and shimming them properly. Then engine now revs to just over 5900. I still think it should rev higher before valve float, but it's good enough since I shift around 5400, plus or minus 100 RPM. I recently installed a Bailey's 2-step (awesome mod) and have the high limit set to 5700.

Next was the spark plugs. Under higher boost I'd feel the engine missing above around 5200. I changed the plugs and gapped them to .025 and so far it seems to be much better. I haven't had a chance to do a top-end pull yet, so I won't say for certain. I'll be going to the track again in November, so the trap speed should increase 2 or 3 MPH if the issue is resolved.

I chose AR103 simply based on a thread that I read somewhere. The plugs worked for the person, so I figured I'd give 'em a try.

AR103 s here as well. I just went 107 mph in the eighth mile at BG with 24.9 psi

Bryan

edit, that was my old plugs, sorry...now using AR3933 gasketed non projected tip gapped at .025

Last edited:
AR103 s here as well. I just went 107 mph in the eighth mile at BG with 24.9 psi

Bryan

edit, that was my old plugs, sorry...now using AR3933 gasketed non projected tip gapped at .025
That is a very good 1/8th mile MPH. On a side note, I'll be retiring this engine sometime before summer. A new secret build has begun.

That is a very good 1/8th mile MPH. On a side note, I'll be retiring this engine sometime before summer. A new secret build has begun.
I was happy with the MPH...The track was hooking well but I could not get more than 2.9 psi to launch and a 1.7 60' ...had wastegate issues. Ordered a CO2 bottle and a new gate....I Want to turn it up !!!

Bryan