new alcoholic

tford

Registered Member
I'm finally taking the dive into methanol. What do you guys do for emissions time? Do you just keep it off and make sure the person testing the car on the dyno doesn't boost it up. Or should I change the chip and turn the boost down to stock levels? I do have a high flow cat so maybe I won't need to do anything. I am pretty sure the chip that will be made won't pass. What do you think. Also, I have a high boost actuator by itself and was wondering if that is sufficient. I've read about actuator binding and was thinking about a rjc controller. Thanks, Tim

We dont have emmissions here in Florida.

I thought it was a constant speed thing.. I dont think they floor the car on the dyno.. if anything I would unhook the actuator whereby the car cannot make boost.

You'll have to look at exactly the procedure they do in your state and get with the chip guy whose making your chip and discuss that tuning with him.

Dont think this has anything to do with alcohol. Maybe the emmissions section of the board is better suited for this.

We have emissions on west coast of Canada. My talon failed, but this is what I did and passed an hour after I failed:

The idle test was no big deal.Just set everything (fuel and timing) to stock

The car failed on the steady state test. What I did was watch how they tested (in this case, stady state 40 kmh in 2nd gear) I replicated this state on the road, and tweaked the fuel in that range (apex i safc fuel controller)

Bang, test passed quickly. If youre concerned about passing, maybe take it through and take notes on how they test. If you fail, replicate those areas and adjust as you can (chip, timing etc)

I've been through the procedure and they go up and down in speed ranges to simulate everyday driving. I think they took it up to around 55 mph max. I think unhooking the actuator is the best idea. I will probably have to just switch to the chip I have that passes. Luckily it only gets tested once every 2 yrs. Thanks.

What do you think about boost controller question? Will the high boost actuator be o.k. at about 22 psi or should I get the grainger valve style along with it?