new 442

Go LT1. L98 TPI and LS1's are common and semi-passe. LT1's on the other hand are kind of the odd boys of the SBC family since they were only made 93-97. They are easily tunable, have a good aftermarket support thanks to the F-body guys and are rediculously efficient for an old tech V8. One think I wouldn't want to see though is Corvette injector covers on that thing. They are just plastic so get some high temp resin and make them say Oldsmobile 442 H/O. Get a corvette one if you can since it slam dunks in using SBC mounts, it will take some trickery with the fuel lines, probably a good idea to convert over to F-body fuel rails. You will need a 93 Throttle body to match up to the TV cable on the TH200-4R though they do make crossmember to put in the matching 4L60E.

Honestly I'd like to see an O455 in there but we know the smog man don't like that so if you can't get away with something big and old.... go LT1.

Just my commentary,

ive got a line on a 455 with a manual out of a wrecked car with 35k or so miles.

ive also got a line on a motor that a "friend" was building for his car, its a lt1 with fordged internals and low compression pistorns. the gn with a lt1 and turbo kit crosses my mind. that thing looked identical to a lc2 just with 2 extra clys.

508100_0773_Medium_-med.JPG

508100_0772_Medium_-med.JPG

508100_0774_Medium_-med.JPG

heres the two other cars that hes selling, 5k and 1k pm me with your phone numbers if you want to talk to him.

I have heard way to many things that the 442 stood for, so

What do the numbers mean?

on my car --- 442 ft lbs torque;) ( I hope, anyways!)

I think legend says first it was 4 speed, 4 barrel, dual exhaust.
Later it was supposedly 400 cui in 4 spd (although auto was optional) and dual exhaust.
Later in I think 70-72 it was a 455 so it still stood for 400 plus inches.
On the model we discuss here it stood for 4 barrel, 4 speed (automatic) and dual exhaust ( the kind you got in the eighties, single into a cat, y split into dual exhaust.)
Oh and the final most embarrasing 442 ever was the Calais in like '88 or something like that. 4= Quad 4 engine 4= 4spd auto and 2= dual exhaust.
But no matter what anyone says it was never an engine designation or size.
I think the first was a 330 then 400, 425, 455, 307 and the Quad. And the 350 in 73-77. So it can be any size.
I always get asked "Does that got a 442 in it?" and then I know I am not dealing with any one who knows old muscle.

So older guys how did I do on my explanation? I know I left out some details, just trying to highlight a few.

If I was doing the swap I'ld go with a 403. It's a small block that thinks it's a big block and would fit with no modifications. All the backetry would fit and headers too. The 403 can be pretty good as long as you don't rev it to 6k. I got my T/A to go 13.4 on a badly built engine. I never raced it after it was rebuilt correctly but it felt just as good. Secret to the 403 is to use early heads from a 68-71 350 to get the compression to 9/1 and not over cam it. Very nice score for 1k. I never find good deals like that!

That's true about the heads and the 403. Over at 442.com they have a lot of info. on buildups and what heads/blocks are good as well as the myths.

And Olds heads are easy to identify too, just look for the number (7, 5, etc) stamped into the head by the front.