Need your opinions please...Thinking about buying a Chevelle SS 454...

Just another option: Buy a 70-72 Buick Skylark GS. If its built right it will be faster more trq and ride better then a Chevelle and you will pay less.

I had a dream I was driving a friends silver one with black stripes last night. Problem is, I don't have a friend with a silver Chevelle ...:biggrin:. Weird huh...

On that note I vote for the silver one:smile: 2nd choice would be the black one.

If don't want a All Original one,I'd get a cheap one,you'll have more money to fix it the way you like. don't forget a 454's gas consumption! slurp slurp slurp, fill up, repete...

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone!

Id buy a buick GS I just think they look better than the Chevelles. and everyone knows a BBB will run circles around a BBC. :eek:
and
Just another option: Buy a 70-72 Buick Skylark GS. If its built right it will be faster more trq and ride better then a Chevelle and you will pay less.
Mmmm...not sure. Although I agree that Buick GS's look great, they just don't have that "mean, badass" look the Chevelle has...As for a BBB running around a BBC, I don't really mind as I'll probably never race the Chevelle...:redface:

I actually like the 71's better than the 70's. I like the round taillights and the marker lights better. The Chevelle is one of the premier musclecars. I would not hesitate for a second.
Since you asked for opinions I actually thought you were kidding when you were contemplating keeping a 2002 Thunderbird over getting one.:eek: Sorry.

No, no...I already have the T-Bird! In fact, I've had it since new. It's just that I don't want to sell it, only to regret it afterwards, but after reading all the replies everyone wrote, I'm feeling more reassured now...:wink:
and

If don't want a All Original one,I'd get a cheap one,you'll have more money to fix it the way you like. don't forget a 454's gas consumption! slurp slurp slurp, fill up, repete...

Enjoy!

Well, I could do that...but I don't have either the room or the skills to do a "frame-off" kind of restoration. Also, I just turned 59 this year, and don't want to wait 'till I'm 65 before the car is finally ready to drive! I don't mind doing a few "bolt-on's" to the car, but no extensive work. That's why I'd rather pay a little more, but have a "turn key" car.
As for gas consumption, I'm not too worried as this is going to be a 2nd "toy", (my GN being the 1st one :smile: ), not a daily driver.

Here are a few more pictures showing different color combinations. I don't which one I'd pick...they're all beautiful!! :biggrin: I know there are a red one, a black one and a gold one for sale right now in my area...:confused:...I think I'm beginning to like the GOLD one!...:redface:

Thanks everyone for the comments! Keep 'em coming!

Claude. :cool:

pretty "badass" to me. its all good. so many cool cars and only so little time to enjoy them
good luck in your search

100_0273.jpg

pretty "badass" to me. its all good. so many cool cars and only so little time to enjoy them
good luck in your search

Oops...I should've thought before saying that GS's aren't as "badass" as Chevelles...These two GS's truly look mean to me! :D...but I still have a preferrence for the Chevelles! :redface: :redface:

thanks,

Claude. :wink:

Chevelle

Is that 71 Chevelle color called Nevada Silver? I am the one who bought the convertible from Miguel. I love that color!!! I was planning on keeping it original(sunflower yellow with black stripes)but I can't stop thinking about the silver. Since I will be keeping this car I don't care if it is original. Also gonna throw a 4 speed in it. Any one have a M21 or M22 laying around?:D

Ss

:wink:Oh I forgot to mention. I plan on converting it over to run on propane. I have most of the equipment to do it and I work for a propane company. Right now I would pay 1.62 a gallon. So a dual fuel Chevelle convertible big block. How many of those do you think are out there?

Is that 71 Chevelle color called Nevada Silver? I am the one who bought the convertible from Miguel. I love that color!!! I was planning on keeping it original(sunflower yellow with black stripes)but I can't stop thinking about the silver. Since I will be keeping this car I don't care if it is original. Also gonna throw a 4 speed in it. Any one have a M21 or M22 laying around?:D

call me a friend of mine might have a M21 .
that GOLD SS bring back memorys ,I usto have one like that in the 80s.
low 11s car..

Tough to beat a 70 or 71 4 speed SS in Cortez silver. 66, 70, & 71 are my 3 favorite Chevelles.

By all means do it.

Chevelles are awesome cars.

This one was mine. It was a factory 350/TH350 car with factory bucket seats/console and factory air.

I built a healthy 408 bbc for it, redid the suspension, exhaust, interior (still had a little left to do). Great car. Sounded wicked, pulled like a mule, true babe magnet and attention getter.

Attachments

• chevelle 0004.jpg
    chevelle 0004.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 11-4-07 014.jpg
    11-4-07 014.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 241
  • engine 002.jpg
    engine 002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 251
  • engine 003.jpg
    engine 003.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 240
  • interior 001.jpg
    interior 001.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 248
For a long time, I've been wanting a big block Chevelle, preferrably a '71 or '72. I know, I know...I can already hear the purists saying that the '70 is the one to get, but personnally, I prefer the single headlamps and round taillights of the '71-'72's.

Also don't let these guys get to you, the 71 and 72 models are as nice as the 70's and cheaper too. And yes you're right about the 71 and 72 differences were the tail lamp lenses, grilles, fender extensions and headlamp housings. Also '72 was the only year of the old body style to have the seat belt warning light in the dash.

Oh really?...Very interesting!...:biggrin:

Claude. :biggrin:

Also, why the two different back up light lenses? (The one on the right looks better). Where is the a/c compressor?

The tail lamp lenses actually changed mid year in '71. The early 71 models had a wider chrome ring and the back up lamp was smaller. Mid year of '71 and all of '72 the reverse lamp was bigger. (Chevy Novas also had the reverse lamp mod happen to them in mid '71) When I bought this car it was in pieces and one of the lenses was probably a replacement.

As for the a/c compressor...well when I bought the car, someone had already removed all of the a/c stuff...the compressor, evaporator, condensor, all the refrigerant lines. The only way I knew it was an a/c car was because I found the build sheet to the car under the carpet and it indicated it came with it. Since I was building the car for street/strip use, i opted not to track down an a/c system to keep the weight down. (Chevelles are kinda heavy)

AJ, don't forget our mutual friends Boostingirl (Alexandra) and Dave Reed specialize in manual transmission if you want one that has been rebuilt.

Chevelles??? I miss my 66 every day. Owned for 20 years and now gone almost 16 years. From a $350 daily driver to HOT ROD feature car. On the 70-72's, I like the 70 nose the best but always like the 71 rear bumper better than the 70.:smile:

My assistant at work is the original owner of a 71 SS. Was a 402, T400 with a one legger with 2.56 gears. When I used to work on cars a lot, I converted his car over to a M-21 4 speed and set up the 12 bolt with a 3.73 posi. Then he had me build a 454 for it. Car has less than 50,000 miles on it, never in an accident but the idiot decided to get it painted again and the poor car has been in paint jail for the past 7, yes SEVEN years. Used a couple of hucksters that just plain ripped him off and now it has been sitting almost 2 years at the 3rd place (that I unfortunately recommended) that painted my 66 pro street Chevelle. (this is before I met Miguel Morales of course, otherwise would have sent him there!) Sad thing is, the car didn't really need paint, had some minor blems on the left lower quarter panel but he was afraid that it couldn't be matched. Would have been worth the gamble to try compared to what he has gone thru. He might never get it back at this rate and if he does, he and I will both be losing our jobs very soon so he will probably have to sell it anyway. Might be in the same boat myself.:rolleyes:

Go for it! There's nothing more visceral than Old school big block muscle and you can't go wrong with a chevelle! I'm biased as I've had a 66 and a 65 elco and now I'm getting close to finishing my 69 (personal favorite). Sometimes it's best not to think about it too much, just go for it! :)