Need your opinions please...Thinking about buying a Chevelle SS 454...

Good news!...I finally sold my Thunderbird today...and will be going to see these two Chevelles, the '71 (left pic) tomorrow and the '70 (right pic) sometime this coming week...

The '71 is a SS clone with a 502 cu.in. engine, TH400 transmission, and black interior. It also has a few "goodies" like forged crank, manley rods, ported heads, roller cam, msd, etc...

The '70 is a true SS with a 454 engine, 4 speed manual transmission, and a white interior. It appears to be mostly stock except for an Edelbrock intake manifold and some headers.

Hard to decide!...

Claude. :)

Easy decision for me. The 1970 "true" SS with the LS5...or is it an LS6? Doesn't make a difference either way, just as long as it is a numbers matching SS.

Although I like the 70 body style best I'd buy the 71 cuz it's not an original SS BB so you can do what you like with it. If you want a show car buy the 70
if you want a GO car buy the 71

owned eight chevelles everthing from a 68 to 72. my favorite was my# matching 70 SS 396 white on black 4speed car.if youre looking at clones which there are alot of them out there.check out the 66 none post cars they are really sweet.stay away from high dollar clones if youre going to pay top dollar get the real deal in the long run you will be much happier.

I'd buy the 71 cuz it's not an original SS BB so you can do what you like with it.
That's exactly what I was thinking...Even if I understand "86GranNash"s point of view about a numbers matching car, TO ME, it is not an primary criteria. I prefer to add some underhood chrome, custom wheels, aftermarket a/c, etc...The most important thing to me is that it the body is as flawless as possible, straight, rust free, and no bondo. I wouldn't mind buying a numbers matching car, but wouldn't be willing to pay a premium for that. Also, I'm wondering...what's the point of buying a perfectly restored numbers matching car if I'm going to put a few "goodies" on it? I'm probably better off buying a nicely done clone and not feel bad every time I want to add something non-original to it. I'm still going to see both of them before making a final decision.
Also for some reason, even if I really like the '70, I have a little preferrence the '71's front end with the split cornering lamps but that's me.:redface:
Thanks for your comments guys...I'll keep everyone posted!

Claude. :biggrin:

Finally bought one today!!

I BOUGHT IT!!...:biggrin:...a frame-off restored cloned 1971 Chevelle SS 454, red with black stripes, cowl induction hood, stroked 502 cu.in. motor, TH400, 12 bolt rear axle, full 3" stainless steel exhaust system with Hooker headers Manley rods, JE teflon coated pistons, Crane roller cam & rockers, MSD ignition etc...The engine dynoed at over 700hp! :eek:...It's a beast!... :biggrin:

Claude. :cool:

VERY nice...Having owned 5 Chevelle's previously, I must say I miss mine and am feeling jealous.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Bryan

Man what a car that is bad a$$, looks just like the one i had mine had a 4sd 411 rear love the color 71 nice year, good luck.

u can not go wrong with a ss 454 chevelle

maight not be a 454 but a muncie behind the sbc is a bad ass combo

go for it

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 157
Thanks everyone, I appreciate!...:biggrin: I'm looking forward to this coming weekend to enjoy it!...(weather permitting of course...:rolleyes:)

thanks again,

Claude. :cool:

Congrats Claude very nice,not as nice as your Buick;) but I know you will have it apart in no time:pHope to hook up one of these days.Bring one of them to Grand Bend,nice beach and a track that has teeth:cool:

Kevin

700 HP did you get dyno sheets? that thing must be an animal at that power level. Whats the compression?

700 HP did you get dyno sheets? that thing must be an animal at that power level. Whats the compression?

Yep!...The car comes with all the usual documentation, '71 sales pamphlet, a "protecto-plate", a "usb key" on which the pictures taken during the restoration are stored, the cam spec card and yes the dyno sheets!
The compression ratio is 11.9 to1.

Claude :wink:

P.S: Kevin, no need to "take it apart" as it's just been restored!...:biggrin:

Yep!...The car comes with all the usual documentation, '71 sales pamphlet, a "protecto-plate", a "usb key" on which the pictures taken during the restoration are stored, the cam spec card and yes the dyno sheets!
The compression ratio is 11.9 to1.

Claude :wink:

P.S: Kevin, no need to "take it apart" as it's just been restored!...:biggrin:

The urge for you to make it better will get the best of ya:p JK,very nice Claude and I know you have wanted one for a while:D

Kevin