Need Wiper Motor Help

HotAirGN

When I would turn on my windshield wipers they would come on super slow rotate a couple times and then stop. Also there would be washer fluid but nothing would come out. After trying it again there is no power and the wipers do not move.

I then took the wiper motor off and tested the washer pump and it worked fine but cracked the housing and just bought another wiper motor. When putting in the newer motor after plugging it it I have the same result. No power on any speed and nothing moves. Took the unit back off and hot wired the washer pump, it worked, and hot wired the wiper motor, its works and rotates.

If plugged back in I get nothing. Checked my fuse its good. Tested the power wire that goes to the wiper motor (purple wire) and get 11.5v only when the stalk is on high and 0 when the stalk is at every other setting. I plug in the wiper motor when I am reading 11.5v on the purple wire and still get nothing.

Not sure where to go from here. If the motors work and there is power coming from the plug what gives?

This is only a guess, but, do you have a good ground on the motor. Paint, grease, etc could be causing a bad ground. These cars are infamous for ground problems.

make sure you have a GOOD ground. I had the same problem with mine. Stopped working, everything checked good. I cleaned the ground and it worked perfect after that.

Ok day 2 of playing. The ground seems to be the yellow wire that loops from the plug at the bottom of the wiper motor to the connector at the plastic case. I then put a jumper wire from the ground at the case to the radiator support. Had an extra plug and then ran a jumper from the purple line coming from fuse block to the spliced plug, plugged into the wiper motor.

With the stalk set to hi I hear a noise, power. I did notice that if I had the wiper motor on the bench and ran jumpers straight to a battery the wiper motor would move but lock up. Pull the cover and notice that the park switch prevents the gears from turning. I then reverse the plug (yellow now power, purple ground) and the motor spins freely.

Ok so now I switch the power and ground while the wiper motor is connected to the car. Plug the case terminal in and run jumpers so the purple (from the car) goes to the yellow (extra plug that I have cut plugged into bottom of wiper motor) and the purple extra plug (now the ground) is run to the radiator as a ground.

Key on and wiper on high and the wiper motor spins and seems to operate fine. Flip the washer on and the pump works and the wiper motor spins like half a turn. There is no low or working delay setting.

I feel like I'm 1 step forward and 4 steps back. can't seem to figure out why I have to flip the power and ground on the wiper motor to make it work. Never connected the wiper arms but wouldn't this not work at all since its rotating backwards?

I have a chassis manual and when I first tested it the flow chart said to replace the park switch but I can't repeat the same steps to get to that conclusion as I think I did it wrong so now the flow chart says to check grounds.
If I have to I will take some pictures or video if someone wants to tackle this problem with me.
Anymore advice?

It sounds like it could be the cover with the park and relay contacts that's the problem.

The factory service manual has some detailed information as to what signals need to be present and at what time on each wire during each operating cycle.

That plastic cover needs to work properly and be installed with the wipers parked and in the correct mechanical position to work right.

I wouldn't swap the wiring to make it move or operate it needs to work as described in your service manual.

Use the service manual and diagnose it. Start with the connectors and make sure your switch is doing what it should.

Just did a search and found this thread, I have working wipers on the high setting only, I hear a click on low and intermittent setting but nothing moves. Is there a update to this old thread? As a rule, I don't drive the car in the rain and I have rain x on the windshield but it would be nice to get this fixed.

Chuck

Just did a search and found this thread, I have working wipers on the high setting only, I hear a click on low and intermittent setting but nothing moves. Is there a update to this old thread? As a rule, I don't drive the car in the rain and I have rain x on the windshield but it would be nice to get this fixed.

Chuck

Could be the switch. They sell them everywhere and are cheap.

Maybe the delay box behind the dash? Not sure about that.

Someone sells the factory service manual on cd-rom, that will help...