Need tips on installing gas tank

oc192

I have my new pump, sender and gas tank ready to go but the fuel tank straps are giving me the big finger. Any tips on getting the tank mounted? The tank is snug under the car with a jack but I need about another inch in the front. I have tried installing the front 1st , then the back and vice versa. On one side I have the back bolt loose trying to gain a few inches but nothing. Can straps get bent to a point where they are useless? There are gaps between the fuel tank and straps which, if flush, would give me the extra length. I am afraid if I crank on the jack more I will damage the tank.

Any ideas/tips would be great....:D

A lot of grunting and swearing helps a little. What I did was get longer bolts for the front it makes it a little easier

Take a break! then get the straps to conform exactly to the shape of the tank.
I put final bolts in the front pushing up while turning with a socket. If you can't get
it up there find some longer bolts just to get it started them remove and install
the correct bolts.

When you guys say front, are you referring to the bolts by the axle or by the bumper? When I say front, I am referring to the ones by the bumper. So if I follow, attach the bumper side first then get longer bolts for the axle side?

LOL, so I completely dorked this up. When I removed the tank, I unbolted the bumper side and left the axle side connected. So when the old tank dropped out, it sprung the tank straps. :eek: I will try the longer bolts up front and see if I can get the straps to conform again. Makes complete sense now to leave the back ones connected so the straps rotate down.

LOL, I told you yesterday to mount the bolts in the rear of the car first and muscle the fronts in once the tank is in place. It just takes patience and a little muscle. I used a long extension on my socket so I could hold the head of the ratchet to push the bolts into position and get them started.

I've done this a hundred times and always seem to have some sort of trouble.

What usually works for me is to let down the fasteners nearest the axle to give you some play on the bumper side. Those fasteners are really quite long and allow a ton of play if needed. Once you get the bolts through nearest the bumper, go back to the others and tighten them back down.

Sometimes I need to use a big hefty screw driver to "grab" the eyelet of the strap and align it with the holes in the body (bumper side). Definitely takes a bit of patience and muscle but it always works.

LOL, I told you yesterday to mount the bolts in the rear of the car first and muscle the fronts in once the tank is in place. It just takes patience and a little muscle. I used a long extension on my socket so I could hold the head of the ratchet to push the bolts into position and get them started.

haha, yeah I got the orientation wrong and it was all down hill from there

A lot of grunting and swearing helps a little. What I did was get longer bolts for the front it makes it a little easier

I ended up getting some long bolts too. I got them started and used a cutting wheel to shorten them up since there wasn't enough space.

Helpful tip: when putting in the bolts near the axle, start one without the strap in place. This will show you the angle that it goes in. Note that it is NOT straight up and down but at a slight angle. This will help a lot when starting the bolt with the strap in place.

This forum rocks! Used a longer bolt with another spacer and now my tank is finally mounted. One thing though, when I put the gas cap on, it pushes the license plate out about an inch. I was able to slide it back a little bit. You think if I put gas in the tank and let it sit for a few days, the straps will form around the tank better and allow for some adjustment?

I just did this job yesterday. I pulled my tank down to paint it. I have a couple floor jacks, and the way I do it is jack the car up on both sides and then use a carboard box large enough to set the tank on it under the car. Then secure the fuel lines and prime the pump to make sure there are no leaks if you have any fuel in it. Then, I let the jacks down and position tank in the right place. By the time I was ready to bolt the straps, the car was all the way down. I attached the straps at the bumper position first and and then at the rear. It seems to me, if you get one strap started, it will hold the hole thing up until you get the other strap started. No hitches this time. :D

The two times I've done it, I've raised the back of the car up a bit.... put on safety goggles....laid on a creeper...dragged the tank off the ground and onto my chest....rolled under the car with the tank on my chest and while Escrima stick fighting with the straps and cussing :mad:at them....once around the straps, settle into position....bench press the tank into position....fold my legs up under the tank so the tank is resting on my calves and push up to keep it planted....move one strap into position and get the bolt started....move the other strap into place and get that bolt started....tighten it all up.

I did this twice with about 3 gallons of gas in the tank to make it interesting and more challenging...:rolleyes:

Glad you got it back in. Sounds like you need to loosen up the straps a bit and try to push it a little forward. Sorry i could not help you out. I'm so busy with 2 jobs right now that I don't even have time to work on my own car. :(

+2 on loosening the bolts and then orient the tank towards the axle so the gas cap will clear.

finished the install and put some gas in the car...still getting some knock :mad: but it seems the new fuel pump is holding the pressure better. Still have to run the hotwire kit... On a happy note, my gas gauge is working now :cool:

As far as the filler neck, I am going to leave it be for a week or two to give the straps a chance to mold around the tank, then loosen the bolts and try sliding it back some more.

Just did mine also after posting. used longer bolts to get started then after the straps took shape removed and installed the original bolts.
Question?
How much space should be between the front strap and the car. I have about one inch of thread left before the strap bottoms out and the tank seems snug. Don't want to overtighten.

Sir Chicken, I did it the same way minus safty gogles(i know dumb on my part) under carriage dust/crap in the eyes kinda hurts. It was a PITA... well PITE.

the 2nd time i did it, i used a 2x4 the width of fuel tank and a jack, to lower and raise the tank. I used stock bolt size/length just new ones. Much faster then my 1st try but not as fun go figure:cool:

Tip, While the tank was down/out empty also. I cleaned out the inside of the tank best i could(shop vac,clean rags) Sanded down outside a bit and coated it with Hi temp enamel. I should have used Hi temp primer before hand tho, maybe even rubberized it before final coat to silence the pump a bit more.