NEED SOME ADVICE ON HEADS AND HEAD HASKETS

riviera

I somewhat asked this question before but i was on the fence about getting new heads etc... any way I decided to have the heads machined, this is my 1st thime ever having to even set foot in a machine shop, and I dont want to sound like an idiot when i go in. So my question is when getting our heads machine what should i ask to be done to them? My other question is can someone send me the tourq spec and order to tighten down heads, i cant seem to find the information, and last is what a good gasket to go with i read some leak water some leak oil etc... Thnks for the help and advice

You need to tell them you want a good 3 angle valve job, decks checked for straightness, exhaust guides cut for positive seals and smooth stem exhaust valves. Besure to tell them to cut the guides both intake and exhaust for .600 clearence that way you won't have anu issues down the road. New springs set to 100ish on the seat for flat tappet cam or 130-150 for roller. All valve stem heights the same as rockers are non adjustible. If you are using roller rockers get the heads machined for clearence for them.

As far as gaskets go stock style victors or fel-pro are fine. Cometics/rjc not need for a stockish car. Guessing your car is close to stock.

You need to tell them you want a good 3 angle valve job, decks checked for straightness, exhaust guides cut for positive seals and smooth stem exhaust valves. Besure to tell them to cut the guides both intake and exhaust for .600 clearence that way you won't have anu issues down the road. New springs set to 100ish on the seat for flat tappet cam or 130-150 for roller. All valve stem heights the same as rockers are non adjustible. If you are using roller rockers get the heads machined for clearence for them.

As far as gaskets go stock style victors or fel-pro are fine. Cometics/rjc not need for a stockish car. Guessing your car is close to stock.
Yes pretty much te62 turbo alcky front mount inn cooler turbo tweak chip and 42 lb injectors

You really don't know what the heads need until you get them apart.

If your intake valves or seats are worn, just get some O/S Ferrea valves in 1.77". Instead of paying for new seats you can get more flow for less money. If the exhaust seats are beat in, you'll just have to bite the bullet and put seats in that side. If you stay with stock valves you can't use upgraded seals, but you'll need to backcut the 'ski jump' out the exhaust valves for flow. If you go with new valves, you'll have to cut the guides for seals.

While you're there either open up the bowls by hand or pay them to do a bowl cut. When the valves are out you can see the choke point plain as day. If you decide to do the porting by hand make sure to do it before the valve job. It never hurts to polish the combustion chamber either. All that is if you're the type to do a lot of work yourself.

I would recommend getting a cheap spring compressor from the auto parts store and take them apart yourself. Once you see the valves and seats you can make a more accurate game plan.

If you want all that kind of stuff done and don't want to get dirty, it'd be easier to just buy a set of Champion CNC heads and be done with it.

Last edited:
I love my Champ CNC irons. Invest in some ARP bolts while your down. I used OEM gaskets from Highway Stars. Very good vendor.

I somewhat asked this question before but i was on the fence about getting new heads etc... any way I decided to have the heads machined, this is my 1st thime ever having to even set foot in a machine shop, and I dont want to sound like an idiot when i go in. So my question is when getting our heads machine what should i ask to be done to them? My other question is can someone send me the tourq spec and order to tighten down heads, i cant seem to find the information, and last is what a good gasket to go with i read some leak water some leak oil etc... Thnks for the help and advice

I am going to try to save you money and frustration in the long run, either buy a set of heads (iron r aluminum) from a good source and skip the local shop or spend the money on some other go fast item. I noticed you did not mention downpipe in your list of mods, I assume you have a nice one already? If not get one.

I am going to try to save you money and frustration in the long run, either buy a set of heads (iron r aluminum) from a good source and skip the local shop or spend the money on some other go fast item. I noticed you did not mention downpipe in your list of mods, I assume you have a nice one already? If not get one.
I have doen pipe

Just talk to full throttle is anyone running the roller cam 210/215 cam with champion steel heads if so how you like it

Champion CNC
No local shop can compete with them

We are not a "local" shop but our ported iron heads are equal in performance to Champion CNC iron heads which has been verified by side-by-side flow testing.

Most CNC heads require some hand finishing, but our iron heads are all hand ported.

My bad Nick
My short block from you has been money well spent
See, more options from good members