Need opinoins on Car Alarms

my1stgn

Im looking at getting a car alarm here and searched the net but found nothing to answer my question. I would like an alarm that will:

1. Page you when it goes off (and would like it to tell you what was activated)
2. Has remote start, remote lock/unlock for doors and trunk, and remote window activation (up and down)
3. Would also like to track vehicle from internet if stollen. Also remote shut-off incase its stolen would be nice and remote door unlocking too.

Now just let me know which Buick vendor here has this product and Im sold!

Cool thanks! How much did you pay? I plan on installing it myself. I had to fix waaayyyy to many alarms systems that had sihty solderless connectors installed incorrectly. I usually solder everything for a secure fit. Where is the best place to by it? Thanks!

I know it sounds silly, but check out the frequency of the remote. It may be kind of a rare problem, but my Code Alarm operates at 433 Mhz (the frequency that the key fob uses to talk to the alarm). Turns out lots of wireless household devices (like weather stations, remote control extenders, wireless headphones, etc.) operate at 433 Mhz. These things interfere with the remote and I sometimes have to manually unlock my doors and use the emergency bypass on the alarm to get the car started.

Most factory keyfobs operate at 315 Mhz. I don't know what the range of frequencies is for aftermarket systems or if they're all 433. Just thought I'd mention that so you don't go through what I'm going through. It's a total pain in the butt.

Jim

I have a Viper 350HV unit on my car..It came with the car when i bought it...I use it mainly for the door lock/unlock feature..I think it was a few hundred dollars....Todd

Go on E-Bay, find a Pursuit alarm system. They go for about $150 give or take. Very reliable alarm and does everything you are looking for.

i would personally go with a autopage rs-727 lcd with the add on c3 unit and u will have to buy a window module i have been doing car audio for 15 years plus and my opnion autopage and viper are on top of the game as far as 2-way and tracking goes both are only as good as the installer putting it in good luck!

I have a viper 550esp with remote start. that came on the car when i bought it, but no gps. i also have a hidden kill switch that i flip when im out for too long or over night. & just flip it when im ready. yet it wont stop a towtruck:eek:

dang tow trucks! I plan on buying a viper my self. My buddy has them on both his gn's, his yukon, and his el camino. The remote start is sweet, and it pages you when it goes off. Also show's which door is open etc.

Most installers will tell you any DEI alarm is a good choice. Viper, Hornet, Valet, Sidewinder, Avital and others. They are considered to be the industry standard, other companies seem to copy their design. DEI is likely to be around in several years if you need repair parts, and most shops install and service their products.

I have purchased several Viper and Hornet systems from eBay as cheap as I used to get them from the shop I used to work at!! I got a 2 way paging system with remote start for $125 brand new.

The minute my GN moves a foot it calls my cell phone & tells me & exact position-then I can track via phone & or computer or turn over to police

This is all combined & interface w/viper alarm
Cost to monitor is $99 year & is good for 100 notices
The whole unit installed (Viper alarm & GPS) $1100

Well the wife is a Deputy so she has her CCW and Glock with her most of the time and Im prior military so between the both of us I think we have enough if we catch somone messing with our car. But I know there is a few tracking systems out there. Just need to narrow it down by price and features before I finally decide. It looks like I will need to get atleast two systems to make everything work (ie alarm with remote start and vehicle tracking system) Thanks fellas and keep it coming!

Well the wife is a Deputy so she has her CCW and Glock with her most of the time and Im prior military so between the both of us I think we have enough if we catch somone messing with our car. But I know there is a few tracking systems out there. Just need to narrow it down by price and features before I finally decide. It looks like I will need to get atleast two systems to make everything work (ie alarm with remote start and vehicle tracking system) Thanks fellas and keep it coming!

The best that interfaces is Viper (again,only as good as the installation

The alarm intergrates flawlessly or can be used as a stand alone
I've had mine for almost 4 yrs

check their link:

Viper - GPS Tracking

FRED

Check this out...
GPS System Tracking, GPS Vehicle Tracking, Stolen Vehicle Recovery, GPS Tracking Device from MobileGuardian

DEI has been around forever and has good products.
I would put on as many security layers as possible. Think "Visible deterrent (alarm led, column lock, etc), Sound deterrent (siren,horn), Starter deterrent (kill switch, alarm, etc.) and then tracking device (LoJack, GPS, etc)"
"Prevent, Stall, and Recover". Then get a CCW permit and take care of business:mad:

Why did the locate feature not pinpoint my vehicle’s exact location?

The GPS satellites use a triangulation system, utilizing multiple satellites to get an exact position. If your vehicle is in an area (ex: underground or next to a steep hill) that partially blocks one or more of those satellites, the system will find it within a few hundred feet of its actual location.

A few hundred feet! That wont do you much good when your car is in the ghetto being stipped. A few hundred feet in the ghetto could mean a couple of blocks resulting in 50-100 houses that ur vehicle could be located in. I looked into this years ago and it seems technology has not gotten any better. I do like the no monthly fee tho. That is a plus!

Why did the locate feature not pinpoint my vehicle’s exact location?

The GPS satellites use a triangulation system, utilizing multiple satellites to get an exact position. If your vehicle is in an area (ex: underground or next to a steep hill) that partially blocks one or more of those satellites, the system will find it within a few hundred feet of its actual location.

A few hundred feet! That wont do you much good when your car is in the ghetto being stipped. A few hundred feet in the ghetto could mean a couple of blocks resulting in 50-100 houses that ur vehicle could be located in. I looked into this years ago and it seems technology has not gotten any better. I do like the no monthly fee tho. That is a plus!

Dude,
I think you're missing the point,GPS tied in w/alarm that notifies you immediately (early warning system),you'll be able to track the tow truck w/your car to prevent it from being parted out (chop shop)